Hollywood Hunting TPB; Site Down Again

HardOCP News

[H] News
It would seem that the smell of blood in the water has thrown Hollywood lawyers into a feeding frenzy. The Pirate Bay is being dogged relentlessly by lawyers for the entertainment industry. Every time they pop up they get the plugged pulled on them in no time flat.

Monday's outage follows a three-hour blackout of The Pirate Bay on Friday. The blackouts are the result of work by attorneys based in Sweden working for the film industry, according to my film industry sources. The lawyers are hunting down whoever provides bandwidth to The Pirate Bay and then using the threat of lawsuits to pressure the ISPs to stop.

Long live The Pirate Bay!

:)

I am entertained & saddened by this conflict.

They probably have every torrent on TPB cased out anyway. Unfortunately.

Why don't they just host it in Russia, where the lawyers will just be told to go pound sand.

Why don't they just host it in Russia, where the lawyers will just be told to go pound sand.

Lately Russia is not as liberal as you might think, they to want to belong with the rest of the world economically. If I remember, not long ago a mp3 site was shut down when they were sued by a foreign entity that we all know.

I'll be interested when they report a 8% sales increase immediately after taking down TPB, but everyone knows that's not going to happen.

Lately Russia is not as liberal as you might think, they to want to belong with the rest of the world economically. If I remember, not long ago a mp3 site was shut down when they were sued by a foreign entity that we all know.

If you are referring to Allofmp3 back in '07(ish), they opened another site as this was going on that did the same exact thing(I believe). IIRC thy were not sued (or not successfully), Russia had entry (or not) into the WTO depending on how they handled Allofmp3.

When given the option of shutting down a website and joining the WTO, or leaving it up and remaining an outsider its not a difficult choice to make. All but the most dense leaders in the world would have shut them down with so much at stake.

What I found scary about the whole situation was how much power the RIAA was able to wield/lobby for.

Stuff like this really makes it hard for me to support the entertainment industry

They should spend those money on making better movies instead

Why are BREIN getting away with their extortion? They're menacing bandwidth providers into dropping packets routed for TPB, which I'm pretty sure violates certain EU laws.

I agree they should spend there time/effort/money elsewhere but lets face it...we have little interest in 'good' movies and what else are they going to do with the millions upon millions in profit? We pay ridiculous prices to see the same old crap in theaters just like we pay too much for CD's but who is really to blame? We are. We feed the monster then complain when it grows teeth.

6/10 of the top grossing movies in the US in '09 were sequels or existing franchises, toss in a couple of mediocre comedies and a few animated movies and it rounds out the unimpressive list.

As far as music goes...I won't even touch that one since most of the stuff that seems to make big money is not what I would consider music, much less good music. Maybe I am just getting old /shrug.

As far as TPB goes...its dead. Move on. There are other trackers. There always will be.

As far as music goes...I won't even touch that one since most of the stuff that seems to make big money is not what I would consider music, much less good music. Maybe I am just getting old /shrug.

You might be getting old, and wiser, you still have the same good taste in music, nothing wrong with that. My kids, range between 15 to 20 thrive on the older music.

Forgot to mention, ever try to go for a walk or exercise to rap crap.

the lawyers should throw the pirate bay a Christmas party, they are making their year.

I am fairly certain that the pirate bay will relocate where they cannot be touched and continue to make fools of the music/movie/software/etc industries

the lawyers should throw the pirate bay a Christmas party, they are making their year.

I am fairly certain that the pirate bay will relocate where they cannot be touched and continue to make fools of the music/movie/software/etc industries

Not sure what i enjoy more. Reading these story and laughing, or reading TPB guys replys like that T-shirt when they shut off Black internet supplier. :p

I remember in the days after Napster got shutdown there was a file sharing service that proudly advertised " We are run out of the West Bank in Gaza please try to come get us." Nobody did so maybe this is what Pirate Bay should try;)

Has anybody bitchslapped these MAFIAA organizations to let them know there is an infinite number of sites for stuff? It's like they only know about Napster and TPB. lol, maroons. It takes like $5 to register yet another site, and how many millions to take it down? bahahaha

Has anybody bitchslapped these MAFIAA organizations to let them know there is an infinite number of sites for stuff? It's like they only know about Napster and TPB. lol, maroons. It takes like $5 to register yet another site, and how many millions to take it down? bahahaha

The purpose of going after TPB or Napster in the day wasn't to eliminate file-sharing or copyright infringement in its entirety, it was to remove the most popular avenues of infringement. If TPB had mainly consisted of tech savvy users as it did initially when hardly anyone knew what a torrent was it would have been left more or less alone. However it was a victim of its own success (and arrogance) and TPB went out of their way to be a nail that sticks out and we all know what happens to that nail.

So even if you are right and its as simple as coughing up 5 bucks to get a new site up and running, its completely irrelevant. The powers that be shut down the most popular tracker in the world. Agree or disagree with the principles behind file sharing or the tactics of the MPAA/RIAA, either way its a clear win for them.

Not all the users who frequented TPB will go on to simply find another tracker, some are likely to think its more effort/risk then its worth when compared to more legal/traditional methods. Again, a clear win for RIAA/MPAA and their sister groups worldwide.

Furthermore, the illusion you have in your head about these groups being stupid and you being smarter holds no water in reality. Personally, I do not like or agree with the tactics used by RIAA/MPAA but to think they are stupid is just utter nonsense. They are making a fortune off of the public without having to offer a product by threatening lawsuits. They are manipulating public perception, the policies of nations, school curriculum, US law, and much more all in their favor. Tell me again how they are just a bunch of maroons as you put it.

no. not clear, and not even a win, atm.

Right. Completely ignore the fact that TPB is running around trying to find somebody who'll host them and that they are getting repeatedly shut down.

Do you really think the average Joe Blow who used TPB in the past will continue to do so after trying while the site is down? How many times would it take for you to stop going to a site 'cause its simply not there? I know some die hards probably sit there and spam refresh while the site is down like a junkie needing a fix, but the die hards are the minority.

TPB will likely go down again and pop back up again and the game of whack-a-mole will go on but if you think that is anything but a win for the RIAA/MPAA then I suggest you rethink the situation.

Keep fighting the good fight though!!!

I'm kind of confused. Do they think that TPB is the only torrent tracker on the internet? Do they think that TPB is the source of every illegal packet that's downloaded on the net? They seem to think the piracy dilemma will go away when TBP is offline. They don't seem to understand that there's a billion websites that track these torrents. Not to mention newsgroups and the IRC channels have been flying under the radar for at least a decade.

They know it is(was?) the most popular. I highly doubt they think infringement will just go poof. Read my earlier post. They are not stupid....well...not when it comes to lining their own pockets anyway.

TPB should create their own ISP, then lobby for privacy protection and freedom-webs™

Right. Completely ignore the fact that TPB is running around trying to find somebody who'll host them and that they are getting repeatedly shut down.

Do you really think the average Joe Blow who used TPB in the past will continue to do so after trying while the site is down? How many times would it take for you to stop going to a site 'cause its simply not there? I know some die hards probably sit there and spam refresh while the site is down like a junkie needing a fix, but the die hards are the minority.

TPB will likely go down again and pop back up again and the game of whack-a-mole will go on but if you think that is anything but a win for the RIAA/MPAA then I suggest you rethink the situation.

Keep fighting the good fight though!!!
how at all is this a win for the RIAA/MPAA? Did they stop, or even slow down piracy in anyway? The answer is no. Even if the Pirate Bay were to permanently shutdown right now, because of the RIAA and the MPAA, It's such a superficial and inefficient, and ineffectual way of combating piracy. When you look at the big picture, it was a huge epic facepalm failure.

and...

comparing the RIAA/MPAA to a win in this situation is like shitting in my pants. only it is the RIAA and MPAA that shit in my pants. guess what? I'm going to change my pants. I'm also not going to press F5 over and over until someone comes and changes my pants for me...

You just don't get it do you. Stop being short sighted and narrow minded.

Just look at the recent changes in Swedish copyright law. Do you think they came about on a whim with no pressure from RIAA/MPAA? The laws that TPB used to mock on their website when somebody would request a file be taken down no longer apply, no longer keeps them safe..obviously.

Guess what else, the fact that TPB keeps popping up like herpes is doing nothing but making a case for the RIAA/MPAA and their sister organizations to request more legislation with an even broader scope. They can continue to point at TPB as the poster child for 'pirating' and use their highly exaggerated loss estimates to lobby harder for new legislation since current laws clearly can not stop it.

Face the reality, these organizations know damn well they can not end file sharing and its not their goal. Their goal is to make money, any way they can and they have the intelligence to know they are not playing for the short term. They have a vested interest in keeping file sharing alive in fact, its a money maker for them because they dont have to share the settlement income with the artists.

They've collected hundreds of millions of dollars due to fear and a legal system all too eager to take one in the ass for big business. Their aim is to broaden legislation so they can go after more folks and expand on an already lucrative revenue stream. Don't think its gonna happen? Wait and see.

And that's exactly what modern Russia wants you to think. The lawyers will still be told to go pound sand, that it, until the politicians get involved. Only then will anything ever happen.

That's exactly why AllOfMP3 got shut down, while other, less-publicized sites that do the exact same thing (MP3Fiesta, etc.) still operate.

Back