Hold out for new architecture

dremic

Supreme [H]ardness
Anybody buying a new system when the new architecture chips come out next year?

I am going to sell my current machine and rebuild entirely for fun and cleanliness. :)

I think I'll probably get around to building my NAS when Haswell comes out... depending on what the chipsets look like.

Intel's feature fragmentation is making me want to throw in the towel on computers altogether though.

I plan to give my wife my i5-2500K system (GA Z68X-UD3-B3 /HD6870 12GB RAM) and upgrade when Haswell comes.

She is still using my old E5200 C2D proc currently... she doesn't seem to mind

but when I have to work on her computer teh slowness makes me insane.

I am trying to hold out for the next enthusiast socket. That said, there should be a compelling reason to upgrade, IMO there isn't one for me now. Who knows, a display upgrade may change my mind, and I plan on that next year as well.

I have an Ivy Bridge Rig right now, but I still do wanna upgrade to haswell when it launches as its basically the more mature and bug-free version of Ivy bridge and apart from the extra performance factor which is also great.

I will upgrade IF we see overclocks that are much higher then current cpus are outputting, but I would want @ least 5.5Ghz before I would even consider it..The only reason I upgrade is for Folding@Home which does love cpu power..

I certainly hope that Intel goes back to using the solder based method for attaching the IHS to the die, but if not I will just pop the IHS off like I did with my 3770K..

Been itching to upgrade for like 2 years now. I'm definitely upgrading when Haswell comes out even if it's just for the power consumption.

Seems like a waste when you could just invest a little bit more money in a graphics card that'll make any CPU folding look weak in comparisons.

What are you talking about? GPU Folding has not been a better option for years now, every since the launch of the first Core i7s..With the -BigAdv SMP bonus, even the non HT enabled Intel cpus rape any current gpu in terms of PPD and PPW (points per watt)...

im having an upgrade itch, but ill wait for haswell (currently have an i7 920). bought a 680 to keep the itch down lol.

That was just the beta as far as I know, not exactly the full version.
Eh that's fine with me. The beta shouldn't last too long. Maybe a month or two. I would think it would come out before the end of 2013.

If there is a Haswell chip that costs around 220-250usd that can OC up to destroy my OCed 3570k I'll probably buy it, if not, I'll just keep what I have. It all depends on how much of possible improvement I'd get.

I will upgrade IF we see overclocks that are much higher then current cpus are outputting, but I would want @ least 5.5Ghz before I would even consider it..The only reason I upgrade is for Folding@Home which does love cpu power..

I certainly hope that Intel goes back to using the solder based method for attaching the IHS to the die, but if not I will just pop the IHS off like I did with my 3770K..

I believe I read somewhere that Intel said that the 5 ghz overclocks on air and water were mostly a fluke, and that we would likely not see such overclocks in the future. Just a rumor I read somewhere on this forum or another forum.

I am trying to hold out for the next enthusiast socket. That said, there should be a compelling reason to upgrade, IMO there isn't one for me now. Who knows, a display upgrade may change my mind, and I plan on that next year as well.

Next enthusiast socket won't be until Haswell-E in 2014.

What the guy above me said, leading to heating issues.
ahh gotcha. Definitly wouldn't call that a bug though. Maybe less thermal performance then you were hoping for? ;)

edit: unless they start failing like crazy in a year or 2, I would probably have to classify that as a bug in that case

Next enthusiast socket won't be until Haswell-E in 2014.

That's what I'm expecting, personally I use my self built PC mostly for gaming every now and then. If there's a game - like DIII that I'd like to play and it's available for OSX I do it on my Macbook, except for FPS. Between my iPad, iPhone, and Macbook I almost exclusively use my PC for FPS. Since I moved from a Q6600 to the Q9550 and upgraded to a SSD I'll probably be ok to hold out till then for what my uses are.

As I'm still on a Q6600 @3.4ghz, I think I may dedicate my tax refund to new cpu/mobo/ram. My current setup really does me just fine for gaming, though. The biggest gain I think I'd see is with my photo editing. I'd like to think batch processing would go a good deal faster on something like Haswell vs. my Q6600.

As I'm still on a Q6600 @3.4ghz, I think I may dedicate my tax refund to new cpu/mobo/ram. My current setup really does me just fine for gaming, though. The biggest gain I think I'd see is with my photo editing. I'd like to think batch processing would go a good deal faster on something like Haswell vs. my Q6600.

dont forget the SSD.

same here, waiting out at least the next gen i think my i5-2500k is still going strong!

Back