Hola! should i fold SETI or Standford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

osrk

[H]ard|Gawd
hello currently i'm folding SETI data units and i've reached 187 unit folded. i don't know what i should fold, SETI or the gnome one? my computers are getting pretty good, currently i have a 1ghz p3 that folds when it's not downloading stuff, and i leave this 3.15ghz P4/HT on when i go to work to fold and stuff, i also have a 2.4ghz P4 that needs some RAM but when i get it, it will be back up and folding. So why should fold the gnome one and not SETI? how long will it take me to fold a data unit?

well SETI is just parsing a crapload of radio waves from space to see if there are any patterns, to maybe find life elseware in the universe.

folding@home is helping find cures fo diseases.

you pick which is more important

The [H] has much more participation in the medical research projects than SETI, but I know we still have a few SETI folks.

If you don't have a SETI preference, try Stanford's f@h or Grid's UD project. That's where most of your [H] teammates DC.

Regards,
relic

Spawn73 said:
SETI and UD are equally crap.

SETI is a dream that is (IMHO) unlikely to become reality. But we all dream...
UD is a fine project.

I wish [H]ard|OCP was a bit more diverse in there DC projects. I run RC5-72 currently, and before that ran RC5-64. We do grow attached to various projects, and so there is a bit of pride. Not to offend any one and there choices, but I have noticed a bit of "eliticism"among the [H] folders towards particular projects. "If you're not doing project X, you're lame!"
Which isn't to say that a group chosen effort shouldn't be pushed towards, it just feels to pushy at times from the forums and occasionaly the vibe front page posts bring across. It's that feeling that I get that prevents me from abandoning RC5-72 for one of the Folding projects and joining the team.

The team chose the path, NightOwl, noone forced us to do it this way.
The [H] DC decided to focus on philanthropic research projects. Elitist? For trying prevent people from getting sick? I think maybe you could use a little soul-searching of your own, friend. From this side of the fence it looks like you're being very selfish. Why else would you stick with the RC projects instead of helping better the future of mankind?

Perspective is everything, true? :)

There it is though. The questioning of my morals based on a computer project. What if I donated blood regularly, What if I donated time at childrens hospitals to read stories to cancer patients?
And what about the goal of a project I've chosen? Are the values and efforts of there goals to be thrown away and tarnished simply because it isn't the chosen goal of the mass collective? From my point of view, you're no better then a religious fanatic trying to push your beliefs on someone else with no care to there own being.You just preach a different religion.
From this side of the fence, I need new neighbors. One's who wont damn my child for not following there ways, or wake me up at 6AM to tell me the joys of Folding for Chri, err, Cancer.
I do admire the objectives of the folding projects, I my self can directly benefit from those projects some day. But to give up something I have worked on for years, the Dnetc projects, on a whim because you think I'm a bad person would be a horrible thing to do to my values.

It's enlightened self-interest that keeps me at the Stanford project. It's quite likely that somewhere down the road, I'll get seriously ill, especially as I get old. There's a good chance that what Stanford is working on will result in breakthroughs in disease cures at some point; either directly, or helps another researcher to make the breakthrough. So, it's pretty likely that either myself or a loved one will be affected by the results, or lack thereof, from work like Stanford's.

I don't think I'll likely be helped down the road by looking for space aliens (which I DO hope there are, incidentally), or breaking codes. To each their own; I'm just explaining why I work on the Stanford project.

Night0wl said:
There it is though. The questioning of my morals based on a computer project. What if I donated blood regularly, What if I donated time at childrens hospitals to read stories to cancer patients?
And what about the goal of a project I've chosen? Are the values and efforts of there goals to be thrown away and tarnished simply because it isn't the chosen goal of the mass collective? From my point of view, you're no better then a religious fanatic trying to push your beliefs on someone else with no care to there own being.You just preach a different religion.
From this side of the fence, I need new neighbors. One's who wont damn my child for not following there ways, or wake me up at 6AM to tell me the joys of Folding for Chri, err, Cancer.
I do admire the objectives of the folding projects, I my self can directly benefit from those projects some day. But to give up something I have worked on for years, the Dnetc projects, on a whim because you think I'm a bad person would be a horrible thing to do to my values.

The pot calls the kettle black. It's interesting from this side of the fence.

Folding and UD work for a cure to help all of mankind. RC5 looks for a key to break an encryption created by a greedy corporation. How can you even compare the two? Choice? Certainly.

Your choice to use your cycles for RC5. Do most of us in the DC forum think it's helpful to mankind? No. That's our choice, and we'll inform you of it, much like you've proudly done by sticking your neck out by insulting our Bard, and degrading our choice, but please prepare to be dealt with in kind.

It's a choice to support something which has meaning and can bring real change for the better in this world, as opposed to doing a lazy, greedy corporation's work for them, which will mean nothing when you are dead, not to your children, not to theirs.

I used to RC5 on all my boxen, then i realized "what am I wasting all this electricity for?" RSA needs to waste their own electricity, so I stopped. Then I found FAH, and I would damned well much rather say that maybe someday a few of my electric bill pennies will go into the cure for some horrible disease.

It's not a question of elitistm. It's a question of caring and the bonds of humanity.

Do you care?

Enough?

I don't think you do.

I've proven your point for you, but honestly, I don't care. Most of us here will Fold/UD until the day we die or the projects are disbanded. Why? There is a higher calling than a nerdy crypto project out there. There is a stronger return than $10,000 or so many Mkeys/sec out there. It's called the battle for life and death.

If you can't see that then please unplug and live a little. Life is not supposed to be spent in front of a computer. Humanity means a little more than the fake promise of a cheap prize and a number on a stats page, at least to us.

Yeah, I'm not going to even post any more in this thread. I knew it was pointless. Carry your crosses, enjoy your crusade.

Debate and degrade my opinions and your vision of me all you want, I'm not going to bother.

Spawn73 said:
SETI and UD are equally crap.

Though hardly possible, I'll say that RC5-72 is actually worse than the above. Atleast the above projects pretends to actually be doing something, whereas RC5-72 doesn't even pretend to do that.

SETI & UD are fine projects if you're naive and unable to see through the obvious bullshit, rc5-72 is utterly and completely pointless.

Seems to be a lot of strong opinions here. I for one think there are quite enough aliens running around the world at the moment. “Secret-key” projects hold no interest for me at all, they all get broken and they always will.

Cure for cancer? Now that sounds like a project I can believe in..and I do! Thus I fold.

What you do on your computer(s) is totally your own business. This team made a decision, I made a conscience effort to join and support that. I certainly don’t feel “Elite”. I’ll leave that for the more liberal among us. ;)

BillR (Not elite, just special)

Seems to me the ultimate 'key' to be broken is in the biological codes that can plague us all.

No fanatacism (although my wife would disagree) ;)

Night0wl said:

But, I don't think you're a bad person.
I think you are rude, for calling others elitists.
I think you are selfish, because you are only thinking of your own personal enjoyment and attack others for not wanting to contribute to your personal enjoyment.
But that's a long way from a bad person. Actually it makes you a fairly typical.
Nothing wrong with fitting the norm.

Regards,
relic

Personally i would like you to look Tammy and Sean Parrish in the eye and tell them that breaking codes or looking for aleins was more important than helping find the cure for the disease that took their 2 year old son away from them, so very recently. That is one of the reasons I started to fold, now it is because i want no one to every have to do live through that kind of thing again.

If you have a soul, think before you speak, as WE are doing this for friend and family, not for fame or money or recognition.

This is not a game, it is for real and is needed.

Time to close this down.
We've hit our whine limit for today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back