Hogging all my bandwidth....why?

Stroker

Limp Gawd
I have ABC running uploading some torrents (legal) and it will be going at about 40 kb/s and the internet on my computer sees little performance hit but the other two computers on the network are acting like 56k. How is 40kb/s crippling our cable?

Whats your U / D speed and whats the program speed cap?

oldmx

6Mbps down / 512kbps up the program as far as I know has no speed cap but the total upload rate was only 40 kb/s.

yes its being routed through a relatively new d-link router and I specified the ports for it.

it's the nature of cable. If you utitlize close to 100% of your cable upload, it's gonna cause a bottleneck towards your connection to the internet. Try lowering your upload speed (try 80% and go down from there) and the number of connections to torrents.

poppa said:
it's the nature of cable. If you utitlize close to 100% of your cable upload, it's gonna cause a bottleneck towards your connection to the internet. Try lowering your upload speed (try 80% and go down from there) and the number of connections to torrents.
Yeah. 512Kbps=0.5Mbit=64KB/s. From what i've seen, most .5mbit connections top out around 50-55KB/s. Try capping the upload to 35 or 30.
If you still have the problem, then its probably the router not playing nice with the high number of connections bittorrent uses. In that case try lowering max global connections to like 50, or set up a *nix firewall box to do your routing.

there should be instructions on the router manufactorers website for setting it up...atleast D-link had it for me. if your doing it for bittorrent you should probably also not use the default ports as it would be easier for a hacker to get in since he knows those ports are the ones most often used. just change it to whatever you want, just make sure the ports aren't already in use. then you have to specify for the program which ports to use. go to ctrl panel -> folder options -> file types -> torr -> advanced -> edit -> and it should look something like this "C:\Program Files (x86)\ABC\abc.exe" "%1" --minport ***** --maxport ***** or just look up "brian's bittorrent faq guide"

Back