hmmmmm - lockups after sleep, soft reset

BB Gun

[H]ard|Gawd
ok....

Before I run all the diagnostics (I've done a few, just not finished yet) - anyone had an issue with a system locking hard at random points after sleep/soft reset?

This just started happening about a month ago. System was perfectly stable for nearly a year. No changes initiated by me at all from initial build.

Temps are all good for processor and video card. BIOS/chipset/video drivers all up to date.

System is stable if I switch off power supply so system is completely shut down and then start after.

But if it sits idle and goes to sleep, or if I just power down, and the motherboard is in its "almost" off state with USB still powered and board LEDs still glowing - when I restart/wake the system it will hard lock at some point - both screens go off, there's a small pop from the speakers, and the system does not even respond to the power button. All motherboard lights remain on, but they stop cycling and it's totally unresponsive.

Looked on line for some "system locks after wake from sleep" threads, and common one seemed to be corrupt system files somewhere. I ran SFC as recommended by MS and it found no issues, so I've eliminated that.

Found an asus support thread with same symptoms, but no solutions. Just an OP.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101021-Asus-X370-Strix-freezes-completly

Older Cnet thread with the usual "update bios/drivers" refrain but no clear understanding if there was a solution.
https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/help-with-pc-i-built/

This feels like a hardware issue, not software.

System in sig.

Last edited:
oh, forgot - one time it didn't quite lock all the way up. Game I was playing locked, and I got a system dump, but I can't figure out how to read it, and its nearly 2 gigabytes of information from a memory dump inu a "PKM7487.tmp" file and I can't find a program that will read it. And I don't know if this is a game developer message or a windows developer message.

upload_2018-11-23_18-31-45.png

Back