Hmm..I seem to have screwed myself.

Yoblad

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, occasionally, suse wouldn't boot up and froze at the ata1(0) applying bridge limits stage of initializing hardware. I removed my wireless card and I couldn't get passed that part (previously all I had to do was reboot the system).

It was then I noticed that my hd was on ata2 and my cd drives were on 1. I swapped them thinking this could've been the problem. It gets passed the bridge limits part but hoses while waiting for device hdc3 to appear. I'll provide more detail in a minute but does anyone know what I can do to fix this? Windows booted up without a hitch. That's how I'm able to post here. Should I try repairing hte installation from the install CD?

okay, this is what I get:

Code:
waiting for device /dev/hdc2 to appear.....device /dev/hdc2 not found (ignoring)
loading kernel/fs/reiserfs/reiserfs.ko
waiting for device /dev/hdc3 to appear.....device /dev/hdc3 not found -- exiting to /bin/sh
sh: can't access tty; job contorl turned off

Then it just sits there at the $ prompt and nothing works.

if your hard drive was master on the secondary ata channel, then it would have been labeled as hdc; it it's now master on the primary ata channel, then it will be labeled hda

you'll need a boot disk or something to edit /etc/fstab so that the entries with hdc# are now on hda#

also, you may need to update the grub/lilo config as well. this should be under /boot/grub or /boot/lilo; and then look for a *conf file. i'm not sure about lilo, but with grub you'll have to change hd(2) to hd(0).

enjoy.

nonsequitur said:
if your hard drive was master on the secondary ata channel, then it would have been labeled as hdc; it it's now master on the primary ata channel, then it will be labeled hda

you'll need a boot disk or something to edit /etc/fstab so that the entries with hdc# are now on hda#

also, you may need to update the grub/lilo config as well. this should be under /boot/grub or /boot/lilo; and then look for a *conf file. i'm not sure about lilo, but with grub you'll have to change hd(2) to hd(0).

enjoy.

yeah, what they said...:) - simple answer - yes.

Back