HL2 Worth The Buy?

I just picked it up last month for the same price. It's an awesome game; wish i had gotten it sooner.

I loved it, except for the end, but that is a dead horse that has been beated profusely.

Of course. You can get a key for it on ebay for under 20 bucks. I got mine like that, and the guy who sold me the key also added it to my steam account, since that requires the HL2 CDs or DVD. After that its just download and play.

Yeah for that price it's hard to go wrong. I bought steam bronze and don't think I really got my moneys worth. Single player game = 15 hours. Never wanted to replay it. HL2 deathmatch was fun for around 3 days. I don't play CS. But a year later and at that discount you will have fun playing plus less hype so you won't be as let down.

RavenD said:
Of course. You can get a key for it on ebay for under 20 bucks. I got mine like that, and the guy who sold me the key also added it to my steam account, since that requires the HL2 CDs or DVD. After that its just download and play.

Buying steam keys off eBay...? hmmm, isn't that against the EULA? And how did he add it to your account without knowing your Steam password?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=267303

edit: I just realized the seller probably sent the key from an unused retail box edition, which is probably fine. oops

HL2 has been sold for 20$ at some places. It's definitely worth the money!

you might wanna do some research b4 you buy HL2 or you might think that you get screwed because you dont get the future xpansion for free :D

You know... I thought when I first bought HL2 that I was only going to be for a multi-player ride. I was wrong. The single player portion of the game is awesome in my opinion. Graphics, controls, storyline, physics... interaction with other NPCs. And hearing about the upcoming expansion taking it further (and further episodes to follow), it has me very excited.

I haven't been that excited about games in quite some time.

Yes ...it was very much worth getting for free with a 9800XT video card way back in the day :)

Yes. The game is pretty damned good and has some good replay value. HL2 Team Deathmatch is pretty cool, and some people even like CS:S although that's a mystery to me.

definately worth the buy. also take your time through the SP, so many cool things to look at and interact with.

HL2 is an awesome game. Can't say that the single player has much replay value though. I went through the game three time and haven't played it since, but it was a thrill to play all three times anyways. CSS never gets old and Deathmatch ain't that bad either. Make sure you know which deal you're buyin'...I got the bronze but wish I had gotten the gold deal. Doesn't matter...just depends on what you want really.

Order the gold edition off of steam. It costs more but you get all the expansions, aftermath, DOD:S, etc. They will give you a longer play life. HL2 SP is way sweet!! I took longer than anyone to play the SP, maybe two months, and loved it.

Matrox462 said:
Buying steam keys off eBay...? hmmm, isn't that against the EULA? And how did he add it to your account without knowing your Steam password?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=267303

edit: I just realized the seller probably sent the key from an unused retail box edition, which is probably fine. oops

He didnt. He offered to add the account if I sent him login/password. After looking at his 200+ positive feedback, including positive feedback from numerous people who sent him account info so he would add the game, I changed password, sent it to him. 10 minutes later I had my password changed back, and was downloading the game. He also offered to create an account with the game added if I didnt want to send login/password. I can dig up the guy's ebay if you're interested. He probably still sells the keys.

Get the Silver off of Steam, it's the same thing as Gold, but you don't get the t-shirt,poster, ect.

got the gold and it will be worth it whenever they FINALLY release Lost Coast and DoD. hl2 singlepayer is ok, deathmatch is fun. css is great in it's own small way tho I prefer Bf2 for it's larger size.

Betauser said:
you might wanna do some research b4 you buy HL2 or you might think that you get screwed because you dont get the future xpansion for free :D

Gee, I wonder what thread you could be referencing? ;)

If you just want Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source, buy the boxed retail version. But if you want a bunch of extra goodies, like DoD:S and perhaps future stuff that we don't even know about, buy the Silver package via Steam. Valve really tends to favor the direct purchasers... but can you blame them?

I just beat it last night at 3 am, and it's definitely a fantastic game. Now I'm gonna go play the first one again, then number 2 again, and see if i can figure out a little better what the hell is going on. :p

beanman101283 said:
Now I'm gonna go play the first one again, then number 2 again, and see if i can figure out a little better what the hell is going on. :p

I suggest this as a must read to any Half-Life fan. It certainly helped me figure a few things out. Keep in mind, that if you have yet to complete Half-Life 2, there are some spoilers in there.

Edit: Link fixed. ;)

absolutely the best game I have ever played. bar none :eek:

d1_canals_060001.jpg

Locked though it may be, a disclaimer...

If you will be looking to play HL:Source or DoD: Source, I would suggest going for the silver or gold package online. The retail versions will become worthless unless both of the above are also released retail. There are rumors for the latter one being available in stores, but I have yet to see verified information about that.

However, if you're just looking for HL2 and/or CS:Source, go for it. The bronze package on Steam is identical, but is 20 bucks more. The store copy is definitely the better buy in that case ;)

beanman101283 said:
Thank you :) He sure pulled a lot of information out of the games that I missed lol

No problem. That guide certainly helps put things into perspective, especially since it's in timeline form. It is a pretty interesting story and I am definitely eager to play HL2: Aftermath. ;)

Only if you like buying a cardboard box with a piece of paper in it telling you how to get the game.

Trust me, I've almost broken down several times while in the store looking for new games. There have been quite a few of those times I had the box in my hand. Then I would realize that the box was actually empty and only contained a voucher of some sort to obtain the game through STEAM.

Then I remember VALVe sucks as does STEAM and the empty box goes back on the shelf.

Sorry, I want a disc in my hand when I get home after purchasing a game. And I don't care if it's 4 discs or 1 as long as I have something in my hand that I paid for.

I don't want to have to pay for an empty box or to DL something onto my HD then have to take some blank CD's that I paid for to make a hard copy of it for myself. It's like paying for it twice. And it's as close to taking a step backwards as one can get.

Moose777 said:
Only if you like buying a cardboard box with a piece of paper in it telling you how to get the game.

Trust me, I've almost broken down several times while in the store looking for new games. There have been quite a few of those times I had the box in my hand. Then I would realize that the box was actually empty and only contained a voucher of some sort to obtain the game through STEAM.

Then I remember VALVe sucks as does STEAM and the empty box goes back on the shelf.

Sorry, I want a disc in my hand when I get home after purchasing a game. And I don't care if it's 4 discs or 1 as long as I have something in my hand that I paid for.

I don't want to have to pay for an empty box or to DL something onto my HD then have to take some blank CD's that I paid for to make a hard copy of it for myself. It's like paying for it twice. And it's as close to taking a step backwards as one can get.

I got actual CDs with my box copy of HL2 :confused:

Everytime I go to buy the game they are empty boxes on the shelf. Wal-Mart, EB Games have all done it. Not that I actually want the game but the few times I impulsively picked it up with the intent to buy.

Now, I don't know if Wal-Mart keeps the empty boxes on the shelves to deter thieves but I know the EB Games near me has started doing that just recently so that could be why there.

It is a game that just keeps getting better and better as you progress...then you beat it, and you're like, WTF???

As soons as you get the money, buy it! buy it as quickly as you can and buy the time you are done playing it throuhg for the 40th time because you need just one last fix,...it will be time for HL2:Aftermath

Back