HL2 with lower-end CPUs and 6800GT??

DarthBart

n00b
Most of the framerates I'm seeing posted are from PCs running high-end Athlon or Pentium processors (3 gig+)...

I have an Athlon XP 1800+ processor (yes, :eek: I know!) and a BFG 6800GT OC...just curious what people are seeing from a CPU scaling POV...

Thanks...

Good luck running it is all I have to say. HL2 is VERY cpu intensive with its physics engine. My 2.8 stutters.

i'm hoping my mobile barton and a 6600GT will be a sweet spot... i'd hate to have to upgrade to a A64.. at least $$ wise.

just gotta wait for the prices for the 6600GT to drop under $200.. and i'm curious to see the BFG 6600GT OC AGP

hmm...I sometimes feel outdated with my socket754 Athlon64 3400+ but I forgot that most people don't have athlons...so any socket (especially a 3400+) is actually good reguardless....*counts his lucky stars*

Yeah, I'd be afraid to run this on a slower CPU because I can run the game beautifully at 1024x768 on my videocard, and I chock this upto my processor and memory.

Some have already said this in the forums but this is why we need a HL2/CPU scaling article.

Well..I had spent 4 months nursing my wounds after my Ti4200 crapped out on me...waiting to see which high-end card I preferred. Trust me...after using my even older Voodoo5500 I was aching for anything.

I also figured that the CPU changeout (could only go to 2400+), new motherboard, new memory, etc. would cost me more, where I could definitely get some headway with the new vid card (esp over performance with the Ti4200).

I wasn't disappointed...

ElementK said:
Good luck running it is all I have to say. HL2 is VERY cpu intensive with its physics engine. My 2.8 stutters.

Really? My 2.5 doesn't stutter... :p Oh wait, you are talking a P4, sorry....still a P4 @2.8ghz is definitely not a "low end" cpu :eek: ;)

i have a barton 2500 @ 3200 and a 6800gt. no problems here. no stuttering at all.

my p4 2.53 and 6800gt run fine. It stutters for a sec only after a section is finished loading. other than it it runs just fine.

Blauman said:
my p4 2.53 and 6800gt run fine. It stutters for a sec only after a section is finished loading. other than it it runs just fine.

i am sure everyone stutters after loading.. including me :)

ElementK said:

Celeron ? if so .. that explains it.

ive got a 2600+ @clock speeds...if i had a 6800NU w/ pipes unlocked would i be able to play HL2 at 1280 w/ high aa/af/iq do you guys think?

Back