HL2 vs. Doom 3.

I really enjoyed Doom 3, I played it on normal and now I'm slowly wokring my way through on Nightmare. I like it more now that I upgraded from a 9600 to a 6800GT. It looks sooooo good.

That said, I haven't been as addicted to any game (sp or mp) as I am to Half-Life 2 right now. I just finished it, and damn that game was sweet. There are too many awesome things about it for me to go into here.
I'm having a blast in CS:S too.

Half-Life 2 all the way!

I vote doom 3. I like half life 2 too but if I had to pick doom 3 would be it.

kre62 said:
If you walked up to anyone with no prior knowledge of these games, showed them these screenshots and asked which has better graphics, what do you think they would choose? Both were taken at 16x12, 8X AF, 4xAA.

d1_canals_070000.jpg

Also, to the guy about the water, I dont know what kind of machine your running, but my water looks unbelievable! Far Cry's water is good, I'll give you that, but the look and especially the physics of the water in HL2 is unsurpassed.

And yes I know this doom shot is not the greatest, but I think if graphics are supposed to be "good" they should look good close up. Like I said I do think the charachter models in D3 look great, everything else marginal.

How about we take a more realistic approach to a Doom 3 to Half-Life 2 graphics comparison shall we.

My_D3_Ti4600_Ultra_1600x1200.1.jpg

A mars surface doom 3 pic compared to a HL2 outside earth pic does a better job I think instead of touting how wonderful and superior HL2 graphics look ( and they do indeed look very nice I must say :D ) while trying to compare it to a upclose screen shot of a bulkhead wall in Doom3 shall we.

That shot was taken with a Ti4600 card at 1600x1200 4xAA 8x AF infact I think I heard it cough once or twice while taking that screen shot. :eek: :p

APEXNETHOR said:
How about we take a more realistic approach to a Doom 3 to Half-Life 2 graphics comparison shall we.

A mars surface doom 3 pic compared to a HL2 outside earth pic does a better job I think instead of touting how wonderful and superior HL2 graphics look ( and they do indeed look very nice I must say :D ) while trying to compare it to a upclose screen shot of a bulkhead wall in Doom3 shall we.

That shot was taken with a Ti4600 card at 1600x1200 4xAA 8x AF infact I think I heard it cough once or twice while taking that screen shot. :eek: :p

And another vote for HL2!

kre62 said:
YOU BRING UP AN EXCELLENT POINT SIR.

IT SHOULD BE NOTED that the doom3 engine outputted a 5.5 meg .tga file for its screenshot, which I then converted to a PNG-24 format shot using photoshop with no dicernable loss in quality.

HOWEVER, the half-life 2 engine out puts a LOW quality HIGH compression JPG file by default. I know it is low quality because a 16x12 screen was 300K.

THEREFORE, all screenshots of HL2 are super compressed. I noticed immediately after I took the shots that they looked far worse then the in game graphics.

SO even with ultra high compression, half life 2 still looks better. Imagine what it would be like if they were playing on the same field.

This is why everyone has been so amazed at HL2's graphics who have actually PLAYED THE GAME.

Dude, lay off the booze(and the caps).

That second screenshot you posted of HL2 up close wasn't even up close compared to that of D3.

You want to compare graphics. Well you certainly didn't do an apples to apples comparison.

Can we accept that both games look just as good from a distance and just as horrible up close?

As to which game is better, the answer is purely subjective and opinion.

orkan said:
wow... thanks for showing all of us the way. I mean someone as wise as you surely knows the right way for all of us to think.

oh... just as a side note... if its not too much trouble... this thread is about HL2/D3 ...

Have a nice day.

Sweet thanks for kind words, I knew I was right ... awesome!

Drop it already, we're way past this. Look at the two outdoor shots on this page, HL2 still wins.

Harkamus said:
Dude, lay off the booze(and the caps).

That second screenshot you posted of HL2 up close wasn't even up close compared to that of D3.

You want to compare graphics. Well you certainly didn't do an apples to apples comparison.

Can we accept that both games look just as good from a distance and just as horrible up close?

As to which game is better, the answer is purely subjective and opinion.

half life 2 has the worst textures ive seen in awhile, looked striaght from HL 1 look at the sewage and the radiactive water during the air buggy level, that stuff looks like crap. as do the wall textures.

again Farcry owned both doom 3 and Half life in terms of looks but doom has flashy lighting half life 2 has flashy gameplay and physics.

but half life 2 is not great graphics outside of the face models on people.
i mean damn u dont even see gordons hands when he uses stationary guns u just see the gun moving around without anyone touching it how weak.

kre62 said:
And another vote for HL2!
Well lets not start voting for other people kre62 as I can tell your a big fan of HL2 and not so much a fan of D3 and thats okay. I know I will enjoy HL2 equally when I get a chance to pick up a copy for myself. But until then I am still on the process of playing Doom 3 and I have to say its a very intense game in design atmosphere, lighting, and graphic details and pays homage to the original. Now HL2 I dont have just yet due to I want to see what their going to do with some patch fixes to the core game as well as some admin tools for CS source mulitplayer support. But I will say from what I've seen online with reviews and screen shots I think HL2 is a great game with some really cool and inventive ideas within the game (Especially the gravity gun now thats just to cool :D ). But you have to look at both of these games for the story they produce and not just in graphics. I say both Doom3 and Half-Life 2 graphic engines are very impressive as both developers ended up using graphic details that bing their interactive stories to life appropriately.

So it all boils down to do you like Sci-Fi horror ala Doom3, or do you like Sci-Fi aliens invade earth ala Half-LIfe 2. ;) :D

I honestly enjoyed them both. But Doom III left a better impact on me than Half-Life II. Doom III I was constantly watchout for my ammo and making sure every bullet counted while in Half-Life II I spammed like crazy :p I think physicswise Half-Life II got the best impression by me. It's even better than Painkiller in some extent.

Doom III had great graphics and a spooky feel to it. I loved how I fired a plasma ball in the dark and everything around the area lit up. It gave a very nice feel to the game. The story wasn't that bad either.

Half-Life II had a great story and was a lot of fun to charge in and kill people. The facial animations were pretty good and lifelike. I loved the hovercraft and buggy levels going in head on with the guns blazing :p

Overall I had alittle more fun in Half-Life II because I can do crazy things :p But in Doom III if you made a fatal error it will cost you with ammo/health. I must have ran through the toxic sludge in Half-Life II with 50% health remaining. Then a few steps later a few boxes of health containers and I am back to 100% :p Doom III potential isn't even tapped yet with current hardware :p I can't wait for Quake IV :) GLQuake was the reason I even got into PC gaming.

Personally, I think neither game offers anything revolutionary in terms of gameplay, and therefore could be considered dissapointing. I mean HL2 is supposed to be the sequel to the most popular fps of all. It sure don't feel like it. Wow we get a stinking air boat, big whoop. Halo had farcry have better vehicles. Also the gfx are nothing great. I mean no dynamic lightening, shadows, etc. The reason it runs great on lower systems is because it doesn't have anything in it.

Now doom3, hmm.. I can't really say I expected all that much. Go back and play doom or doom2 and you will notice it is very linear and very just run and gun. So it was no suprise doom3 was like this. However, the gfx on doom3 are definately better than another other fps game ever made. Shadows and lightening are amazing, however the darkness got very old after awhile. I guess the game is supposed to be scary, I didn't find it so.

Both games I found to be fun for the first few hours and then just playing them became boring and I kept hoping the end was near. Thankfully both games aren't that long.

I guess I'll just wait around for rtcw2 or whatever the game will be called based on the doom3 engine. I'm more of a multiplayer man, and CS=shit, and doom3 might as well not even have mp. So either rtcw2, quake4, or DoD source need to hurry their butts up.

Anyways, my vote goes to neither.

3N1GM4 said:
clearly VALVE has beaten ID in the engine catagory, yeah, D3 engine is a VERY VERY PRETTY engine, but who cares if no one can see it, while the HL2 engine is a VERY PRETTY engine that EVERY one can see, all you need is a 6 year old machine and you can play it...

LoL, lets all play wolf3d because it runs on alot of computers.

I like hearing the arguments for the pro hl2 graphic people, I mean sure you can say you like how it looks compared to doom3, but anything past your opinion is just wrong. HL2 is like quake 3 arena with shaders and higher poly models. The sad part is it took valve so long to accomplish such a thing, heck even games from ea have incorporated this faster.

I also felt the doom wall / hl2 skyline was a little biased, but hey lots of people discovered multiplayer gaming through hl1, (anything more complex than a button that said multiplayer was confusing to them I suppose) so they are compelled to love it and try to convince others to do the same without conscious.

Half-life is synonymous with newb to me and HL'ers always reinforce that.

I cant wait for the next hl2 vs threads, cause hl2 will have to be compared to the doom3 expansion, quake4, rtcw2, unreal3, and many more. Cause valve is tired and so far I havent heard of any announced hl2 licensees.

Im sure hl2 is a fun game, but if it werent for its name and its followers I doubt anyone would be comparing it to anything. FarCry is impressive, Doom3 is impressive, Thief 3 is even impressive; the half life name wont carry weight for long without graphics to back it up.

I think what many people failed to realize and what CyberCRAP touched upon is that DOOM(all of them) is just a fragfest. If you expected anymore from the series in terms of gameplay, you're playing the wrong game. The people that knew this buying the game enjoy the game a lot more than those that bought the game thinking it would be revolutionary. It may be revolutionary in terms of graphics, but that's it. I take it for what it is.

ok my turn..I'm just going to write my thoughts as they come to me...

havent beat HL2 yet but I beat D3(and I had to cheat through the last 25% hard and boring..)

HL2 so far has much better gameplay..It's also not so mentaly taxing. I could only play D3 for a short time at a time cause of the scaryness from things popping up out of nowhere and it got monotonous. when with HL2 I can play for hours on end and not feel the need to quit for a break so early

D3 graphics were awesome I would have liked some more complex levels and puzzles other then find pda find key rinse and repeat. D3 however ran a bit more smooth loaded much much faster and does not require and internet conection...

The lighting in HL2 seams inferior to D3 but the physics seam more realistic in some ways, The fire in HL2 is also not as good D3 and while some/most objects and textures are awesome and seam evident of a lot of time spent on them some objects while some machinery and objects seam thrown with HL1 graphics...

I'm going tio say HL2 beats D3 but they are both good

heres some things I would have liked to see in HL2

-better fire... and that warping effect from the heat (dx 9 effect like in D3)
- better lighting inside
- foot prints/tracks... especialy on the sand levels
- coop mode
- hands on steering wheels unless it takes up too much screen space
- and hope I'm not wrong since I havent beat the game yet... a vehicle to fly..

Half-Life 2; the environments are infinitely more varied and they are also interactive. The Source engine is an amazing breakthrough.

Gotta disagree on the AI of HL2 though. I've yet to see anything special in that department of HL2.

Doom 3 didn't scare me; it frustrated me. I like being able to see what I'm doing. The spawn points were utterly predictable as well. The weapons were completely mediocre and uninspired. I enjoyed the enemy designs (It's a shame that none of them had any brains behind their digital brawn) and background sound effects.

Half-Life 2
- More varied environment
- Better choice of weaponry
- Physics
- Better gameplay
- Slightly better AI
- Less repetitive
- Brighter
- CS:S is way better than Doom 3 MP

Doom 3
- Incredibly, vastly superior lighting
- Much better indoor graphics and small graphical effects
- More interesting boss fights
- A bit longer
- Everything doesn't shine like a cheap Photoshop effect
- Better enemies
- Sound, of course

Both
- Mediocre story
- Dissapointing end-game fight
- Very, very poor endings
- Easy
- Bad AI
- Too much health and ammo

dajet24 said:
half life 2 has the worst textures ive seen in awhile, looked striaght from HL 1 look at the sewage and the radiactive water during the air buggy level, that stuff looks like crap. as do the wall textures.

again Farcry owned both doom 3 and Half life in terms of looks but doom has flashy lighting half life 2 has flashy gameplay and physics.

but half life 2 is not great graphics outside of the face models on people.
i mean damn u dont even see gordons hands when he uses stationary guns u just see the gun moving around without anyone touching it how weak.

You must not play many video games.

Holding down either SHIFT key while you're typing makes captial letters.

Doom3 bored me after a few days. We'll see how HL2 does.

I dont care what anyone says.. Doom3 graphics, for the most part, look plasticy and very artificial. I've thought that since the very first screenshots were released, and still do as I look at it on my computer now.
Atmosphere wise, ID did a great job, but you can thank the overall darkness and great shadows for that. They could have done a lot more to get rid of the sterile looking textures, and the bump mapping in most places looks too forced and too clean. It completely ruins the look of the game for me.

Dont get me wrong, HL2 is no major graphics revolution. It also has its flaws, but the overall appearance is better than D3. The look fits the atmosphere, the textures fit the look.
Gameplay wise however, there is no contest. HL2 wins, hands down.

I haven't played HL2 yet, but Doom 3 is one of my all time favorite games. It might not be the best I've played or my #1 favorite, but it is the most impressive and provides the best experience. It took me a while to get through it, but only because I refused to play it in mediocre conditions. I only played it in the dark with the speakers blaring and that limited me to a few hours a day at the most. I hope that I'll like HL2 as much as I liked HL, but for me to say that HL2 > D3... that'd take a lot. We'll see.

i wont even buy hl2 becuase of that steaming pile of crap call steam

doom3 was scary. i loved it.

Looking back through Hl2 again after I beat it I notice that just about everything is low res when you get close except the characters, guns, vehicles, and enemies. Here's a shot of me looking at the grass and a shot of me facing a rock.

d2_coast_090000.jpg

d2_coast_090001.jpg

Gameplay: Doom 3 kept me far more on edge, it actually got my pulse going. HL2 never really "scared" me or get the blood pumping, if you know what I mean. And on this note, Shalbridge cradle in thief 3 takes the crown in this category :)

Graphics: HL2 has more variety. Doom relied on more on dramatic shadows, darkness. Doom had some cool heat effects I wish HL2 had. And I kinda wish Doom had the great outdoor scenes, but that wouldn't fit. I like HL2 better here, but it's very close.

The Physics in HL2 are put to excellent use, gravity gun included whic is awsome (if you use it right).

kcchan1 said:
:p everything is low res if you stick your face right next to it.

That's true, but Farcry has better grass than Hl2. I was suprised at how low res a lot of the textures were in hl2 since I was blown away by the graphics when I played it through the first time. Guess I just didnt notice them.

Edit: Pic of grass in Farcry

farcry1.jpg

All three games are great games but HL2 over all the others obviously. Not even a contest.

Far Cry still has better AI.

I had more fun playing half life 2 ... just because it was not so repetative ...

doom 3 was the same crap over and over again
walk in
get attacked
jump to the corner
scripted even with someone popping out behind you
kill everyone
repea

half life kept things interesting so you never have to repeat what you do 10gazillion times

i mean sure it gets boring to kill those colombine dudes but you get the bugs to help you ... and then the rebels .... its good stuff .... also half life 2s story line is more interesting than doom's ....

HL2 all the way. Better graphics , lightyears better AI, better art style. You can't even compare the models and facial animations, even the humans look like zombies in doom3. You should have made this a poll instead of just asking people to post.

If you pitted HL2 versus Doom3 in a no holds barred deathmatch, I'm sure HL2 would outsmart doom3 and use its advanced physics to drop anvils on the demons heads.

And doom3 has no mullato hottie with a naughty body either. just a bunch of sweaty marines in a cramped dark enviroment. Is John Carmack homosexual?

Back