Which screenshot looks better to you?

• Screenshot nº 1

Votes: 49 53.3%
  • Screenshot nº 2

Votes: 43 46.7%

• Total voters

TheNuker

Limp Gawd
Alright, so here's something I've been wanting to do for some time now. Let's analyze the two screenshots below. Which one looks better in your opinion? Also, I will not be revealing just yet what's the difference between then, and I ask that if anyone knows the difference, please state that you do know, but don't say what it is to keep this pool as impartial as possible for the time being.

Screenshotone.jpg

Screenshottwo.jpg

the top one looks like it has higher graphical presets enabled (specifically, higher detail shaders/effects and AF)

I Voted #2 only because the Alex skin looks better. #1 has better environment rendering though IMO. The walls, grate basically everything looks better in #1 accept Alex. I think I know what is going on here though.

I'm kind of turned on by the second one so I voted for it.

Number 1. The strange effect on Alyx in the first shot is supposed to look strange. It is supposed to be a special effect showing that they are healing her. She isn't that glossy and funky all of the time.

The top one looks like it has specular lighting enabled and the 2nd one doesn't. I'm not partial to either that's just my input.

First one. Obviously the effect would look better in motion as well. The lighting is also better and colours appear more vibrant.

I see the difference and I'm going with the 2nd one.

edit: I had to see it in the appropriate context. I went into the game and watched the scene. I'd have to go with 1 now.

My 8800GTS with the video settings maxed out (downsized from 1680×1050):
ep2_outland_020008.png

I'm curious how #2 looks in motion.

Last edited:
number 1 is too, too too legit too legit to quit this sh*t

I can't believe that people are voting that #2 looks better.

It is a little disappointing that people push that the PC can put out better visuals but the regular users can't even tell the difference between [possible spoiler]tech from the late 90's/ early 2000, and more current gen tech (02-06). Let alone say the older tech looks better.[/possible spoiler] But it is refreshing to see that not everyone is a graphics whore, and can enjoy a game despite graphics. More game developers need to realize this.

I can definitely see that they running different settings. But I suspect that it is only one setting/ variable that is different between the two. Everything else is the same I think. The textures are the same, the AF, and AA levels are the same. [possible spoiler]#2 is missing an "effect" that has been used in games for many years.[/possible spoiler]

Lets just say that you probably need a much faster GPU to run the setting(s) in #1. Very interesting poll OP. I look forward to the results.

Last edited:
2 looks fubar as a static screenshot. Probably looks much better in motion...

looks crap in screenshot, better in motion.

SS? #2 wins, in motion? #1 wins

the musculature in #1 looks way more like that of a real human than #2, but the glossiness kind of takes away from it for me. I'm sure it looks better in motion

Screen 1 for me.

Not just judging by the effect on Alyx but the whole scene, one just looks better.
More vibrant and to my eye a little more detail in the textures and sharpness in general.

mat_dxlevel 81

amirite?

Try more like 70.

I am absolutely staggered that 50% of people can't see that #1 is uses substantially better technology. It is fascinating, and a testament to the versatility of the source engine, and its ability to tick peoples eyes. I am speechless actually.

here are two other screenshots of Alyx, anyone care to say what the differences are/which looks better?

view_320200_1_1238742612.jpg

Try more like 70.

I am absolutely staggered that 50% of people can't see that #1 is uses substantially better technology. It is fascinating, and a testament to the versatility of the source engine, and its ability to tick peoples eyes. I am speechless actually.

So what if it's filled with technological advancements if the second screenshot, without any of that, looks better to the majority of people? That raises an interesting question, doesn't it?

here are two other screenshots of Alyx, anyone care to say what the differences are/which looks better?

view_320200_1_1238742612.jpg

The one on the right is the person Alyx was based off, and I'm not sure if the voice actress as well.

The one on the right is the voice actress and person Alyx was based off.

nopee, the voice actress is a completely different person (the evil admiral lady on pegasus in battlestar galactica is the voice)

edit: but yea, the actress on the right is who alyx's looks were modeled after

Try more like 70.
I believe Source 2007 removed DX7 compatibility.
So what if it's filled with technological advancements if the second screenshot, without any of that, looks better to the majority of people? That raises an interesting question, doesn't it?
The only reason that the second screenshot looks better to some people is because it's a static image. If they were to view the scene in motion, the first would look better since the effects would be more discernible.

That is what I was getting at in my first post on the first page.

Game developers need to realize that graphics are such a small part of a game. They should put resources into other areas to make a AAA game. We have been getting games recently that are full of eye candy and not much else. Your poll proves that even 50% of game enthusiasts (on a PC board) couldn't care less. I am very happy with the results, despite being stunned. I thought the way the market was going these past years everyone had pretty much become a graphics whore. Graphics are there to enhance game play, not be the main game (**cough Crysis).

I myself could care less about the graphic level of a game as long as the story and game play are excellent. I still to this day play DeusEx several times a year because I enjoy it so much.

Like I said in my first post. This is a very interesting poll. I am really glad that I was here to witness it.

I believe Source 2007 removed DX7 compatibility.

Good to know. I am surprised that a scene rendered in DX8.1 looks so poor.

I voted number 1, I think its an effect thats supposed to look better while animated, the top shot does indeed look shiney but also gives the transparent skin effect in certain areas rather than all over the body, I suspect I know what settings were changed to achieve this, I will hold my tongue as requested :p

Back