HL2 makes me physically ill

CatsGoMoo

Limp Gawd
:(:(:(

Used to have motion sickness when I play FPSes, generally older ones that run at higher framerates on today's systems.

I have it SOOOOOO freaking bad with HalfLife2. This sucks. I'm going to go rest for a bit. I've only played for about 30 minutes, and I'm already feeling incredibly seasick.

The game's great so far, though.

I have the same issue if I use a monitor at 60HZ refresh under floresent lights. it has something to do with teh flicker of both and that I am sensitive to that light.

Have you tried changing the monitor refresh rate to something higher like 72, 75 or 85?

Once at 72 or higher I am usually fine.

I have that problem with refresh rates lower than 75Mhz. I know with City of Heroes, the damn game resets my monitor to 60 Mhz, I sometimes forget and low and behold, 20-30 minutes in I want to chum. Good luck.

CatsGoMoo said:

Used to have motion sickness when I play FPSes, generally older ones that run at higher framerates on today's systems.

I have it SOOOOOO freaking bad with HalfLife2. This sucks. I'm going to go rest for a bit. I've only played for about 30 minutes, and I'm already feeling incredibly seasick.

I have a friend with the same problem.

Personally, I would have to kill myself if I had this problem, since I play so many FPS.

CatsGoMoo said:

I feel your pain unfortunately :(

I also have that problem.

The solution?

Refresh rate at 85hz. With a resolution of 1024x768 (I know, not that great....my monitor is like 7 years old though.)

My doctor told me it has to do with a combination of colours and flickering of the screen. If it makes you sick though, don't keep playing, as it can give you a seizure or something.

All I know is that when I get sick like that, it doesn't go away until I sleep it off.

So, change your refresh rate. :)

Yeah I felt a little bit of it last night. it wasn't too bad.

Things that help:

- Make sure your refresh is up around 75-85 at least.
- Lower your mouse sensitivity. (helps me lots)
- If your not getting good fps try making some changes to gain some
- Play it more. Your mind might get use to it. lol
- Make sure your not playing under harsh lighting.

Turn on VERTICAL SYNC!!! its in your advanced graphic options menu. bottom right. This will fix your problem.

acutally i havent played HL2 but i get the same way over playing WoW. I got so sick one time that i dry heaved before i went to bed. but the next day i played a little and felt a little better. this happens to me when i play new fps type games.. used to happen to me when i played CS.. but now I can game on CS for hours at a time, and at WoW i'm building up my tolerance... basically play a little, rest when you feel sick, then play some more.. you'll slowly get used to it. dont try to go on 5 hour gaming streaks

I don't get motion sickenss but if the refresh rate isn't high enough I'll get headaches that won't quit. I've got to have a minimum of 85Hz or I'm not happy. Fortunatley I can do 100Hz at 1600x1200 on my monitor. :D

I get headaches as well with low refresh rates. Actually, I think my eyesight has gotten noticably worse in the last year from the crappy monitors at work. Spend the extra money on a good monitor that can do 100hz at a reasonable screen resolution.

i had dat same problem with teh original half life, i get motion sickness so i stopped playing half life period

jonneymendoza said:
i had dat same problem with teh original half life, i get motion sickness so i stopped playing half life period

Yeah, I got it with the original Half Life as well.

I think a lot of it has to do with the way the gun bobs in an unrealistic manner to the movement. Maybe it's the speed or fluidity of the movement. Motion sickness (or perceived motion sickness) usually has to do with your body not being able to orient itself. For example, when visual contact of the horizon is lost, and you're there staring at a relative horizon. Your balance centers in the inner ear are saying one thing, but your visual senses are sending conflicting information.

Nonetheless, I found some Dramamine. That should help :cool:

i used to get wicked motion sickness from playing the original half-life on my old crappy monitor a few years back. had to actually stop playing it.

just recently played HL1 again on my VP2001 viewsonic LCD and didn't have any problems with motion sickness. get an LCD! :p

The first wolfenstine made me want to curl over in my chair after playing for 2 min. But that was the only game that really ever effected me that bad. lol

HL and HL2 make me feel a little "wrong" in the stomach, i dont get a headache. CS has never ever given me that feeling. So i think it must be the movement of the gun or something small like that.

MixPix said:
The first wolfenstine made me want to curl over in my chair after playing for 2 min. But that was the only game that really ever effected me that bad. lol

HL and HL2 make me feel a little "wrong" in the stomach, i dont get a headache. CS has never ever given me that feeling. So i think it must be the movement of the gun or something small like that.

Yup. that's exactly what I was thinking.

Yeah I get all the sicknes...Air, motion, sea, HL2 ;)

But yeah..I played it for a good 3 solid hours and I swear I was ganna puke in bed.

Monitor(s) are fixed @ 60Hz though...Because they are cappy old 19" CRTs.

Isn't the Vertical Sync turned on by default.

I had it too, this helped me a *lot*
In options, go to (I think) Keyboard Options, advanced, enable console
Then bring down console and type these lines:
sv_cheats 1
fov 90

Seems HL2 defaults to fov 75, which is such a narrow view that it feels unnatural. I actually set mine to 95 (I'm used to 105 in UT) and it helped quite a bit.

Yup, I have a buddy the same way...the only game he could play or even wanted to play was AOK. Not that there's anything wrong with that...AOK is probably one of the best RTS' out there.

As for the FOV, I use 110 for TFC, so I'm wondering what HL2 will look like in 110.

QHalo said:
Yup, I have a buddy the same way...the only game he could play or even wanted to play was AOK. Not that there's anything wrong with that...AOK is probably one of the best RTS' out there.

As for the FOV, I use 110 for TFC, so I'm wondering what HL2 will look like in 110.
Just my opinion, but FOV > 95 or so are good for online, pvp games, where seeing things out of the corner of your eyes is imperitive. For a game like HL2, I'd rather have beautiful graphics -- I'm not bunny hopping, rocket jumping, etc, so I can appreciate the graphics more ... and anything over 90-95 starts to get fairly distorted near the edge of the screen.

bipolar said:
I had it too, this helped me a *lot*
In options, go to (I think) Keyboard Options, advanced, enable console
Then bring down console and type these lines:
sv_cheats 1
fov 90

Seems HL2 defaults to fov 75, which is such a narrow view that it feels unnatural. I actually set mine to 95 (I'm used to 105 in UT) and it helped quite a bit.

Wow! That helped a ton! Thanks so much! After about an hour and a half I still feel like I'm going to hurl, but that's better than before.

However, now my nose is stopped up. I think I'm just getting sick.

>_<

bipolar said:
Just my opinion, but FOV > 95 or so are good for online, pvp games, where seeing things out of the corner of your eyes is imperitive. For a game like HL2, I'd rather have beautiful graphics -- I'm not bunny hopping, rocket jumping, etc, so I can appreciate the graphics more ... and anything over 90-95 starts to get fairly distorted near the edge of the screen.
Yeah after you get over the graphics in TFC, the FOV really helps for seeing a lot more of the screen...especially if you're a defender. Plus I can Bhop better with higher fov...if that makes sense. :p

I thought it was only me.......

HL2 and Far Cry are the only games that does this to me.....

If you were feeling sick after 30 minutes, you're not going to be able to take the airboat scenes. Doing flips and rolls under fire is going to have you puking for sure.

Shadowspawn said:
If you were feeling sick after 30 minutes, you're not going to be able to take the airboat scenes. Doing flips and rolls under fire is going to have you puking for sure.

I just got past the first hour of airboat. Jesus.

************Spoiler Alert**************

Running from that Helicopter was fucking INTENSE! Both in the Airboat and when you have to duck from container to container when you're on foot, trying to open up the floodgate.

Shadowspawn said:

thats the only part i felt ill....

CatsGoMoo said:

me too man .. it sucks ...

gonna have to try the refresh rate thingy .. can you change it within HL ?

Shadowspawn said:
More spoiler alert: How about the ::totally awesome thing that happens in a certain extremely long, nauseating level::.

I agree about spoilers, but you're right.

That was the freaking COOLEST thing ever!

That is weird, I have never had problems with motion sickenss... and i honestly cant tell the difference when i change my monitors refresh rate. I have no idea what any of you guys are talking about! i want to better understand this cuz i have never had it.

refresh rate changing hasn't helped .. I may have to drop down to 1280x1024 since the refresh on that will goto 85Hz instead of 75Hz at 16x12 .. if that doesn't help I guess I'm gonna have to get some Dramamine (sp?)

Nyx .. you don't want to know man .. it sucks .. I have no idea what the causing factor is .. genetics or whatever .. but I know it sucks ..if I read in a car it happens to me and when I play some games .. HL2 .. sometimes FarCry gets to me .. most games don't though .. I can play BF:1942 and CS:S for hours and I'm fine ..

it's wierd about CS:S though .. same engine .. running the games at same settings .. and I'm fine with it .. but HL2 makes me feel sick .. that I just totally don't understand ...

and about the Airboat .. yea that sucks .. don't get me wrong .. the level kicks ass .. just didn't make me feel the greatest .. I'm about at the end of it (I think) so I'm taking another break ...

I got dizzy when I first started playing it. I bumped the settings down a notch to get better framerates and that has helped... Though now I'm also popping dramamine just to be safe.. no shit.

Hope it works out for you!

play until you are sick and throwing up, now that's [H]ardcore lol :D

btw, i'm a little dizzy too after messing with the game all day, heh

i never really get like this in other games, first game that has really made me feel kinda sea sick

Brent_Justice said:
play until you are sick and throwing up, now that's [H]ardcore lol :D

no joke! that's how i felt last night after the airboat level. almost did a dry heave. i was fine up until then. so it's obviously not the refresh rate or monitor for me as i've got an DVI LCD. i'm going to try that FOV thing if it continues, but hopefully it was just the boat level (which ROCKS ARSE BTW)!!!

now, about that stuttering problem.................
:rolleyes:

good to know im not alone, i came really close to puking while playing, ill try the FOV adjustments when i get home

Back