HL2 Killed my machine!!

Techx

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok so I'm happily playing HL2 today with really no problems in the game nor any problems with my pc (specs in sig) and out of nowhere the entire screen turns plaid green and a few seconds later reboots me, after coming back up to the desktop I get this:

1s.jpg

WTF! it sits there for a minute then reboots itself again. Um now i'm getting pissed so I go into safe mode and uninstall my vid drivers, reboot and everything looks fine in normal mode with no vid drivers. After I reinstall the newest 66 nvidia drivers and reboot, I get this:

2s.jpg

Then I did a complete re-install of Win2k on my machine, then re-installed the newest nvidia drivers, reboot, and get this:

3s.jpg

Anyone have any idea of what is happening here? All fans are working and I've removed any overclocking. I just don't get it, and I can't play HL2 anymore :(

Thanks

HL2..Broke your computer. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

sucks that your computer crapped out man.

so it works in DOS? and during boot?
It just craps out when you try to play a game?

edit: do any other games work?

Do you know what kind of temps you were getting before this happened during load? Maybe it was already running really hot, and Halflife 2's beauty made it snap. Looks too me like you need to RMA your card if a different set of drivers won't fix this. Odd that it would work in safe mode though, unless it's really underclocked when it boots into safe mode? I don't know. Good luck with this whole thing though.

Menelmarar said:
HL2..Broke your computer. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

sucks that your computer crapped out man.

so it works in DOS? and during boot?
It just craps out when you try to play a game?

edit: do any other games work?

Yeah, while it's posting it looks fine, when in safe mode it looks fine, even in NORMAL mode it looks fine when i have no nvidia drivers installed. But once I install any nvidia drivers, thats then it happens. It's weird.. and I really don't have any idea about the temps, but I'm not oc'ing my vidcard just was pushing my p4 2.4 to 2.8, which isn't THAT much. :(

themorningbells said:
Do you know what kind of temps you were getting before this happened during load? Maybe it was already running really hot, and Halflife 2's beauty made it snap. Looks too me like you need to RMA your card if a different set of drivers won't fix this. Odd that it would work in safe mode though, unless it's really underclocked when it boots into safe mode? I don't know. Good luck with this whole thing though.
if he oc'd his vid card he can't rma it, he's stuck with it. :(

Card's dead.

Safe Mode = Generic drivers that "emulate" high color modes. Ever notice when no drivers are installed windows scroll, open and close very slowly and screen refresh rates are slower than Microsoft to fix security holes?

DOS and BIOS use pure CGA to output a display. This is hardwired into the card and is pretty much either works or doesn't.

The fact that when you load the nVidia drivers and you get that screen indicates that as soon as the enhanced portions of the GPU are enabled (pixel shading, anti-aliasing, etc. Even though Windows may not be using these features, they are enabled and ready to be utilized), the display becomes garbled because the GPU is damaged.

It could have been thermal or it could be a defective chip. If you didn't change the stock heatsink (and it's not coated in dust) there's a pretty good chance you can RMA the card. Seeing as how you really don't have anything to lose, RMA it anyway. The worst the company can do is tell you they won't replace it.

i had that problem, i dunno wut it is, but if i close my case, my screen does that, but as long as its 99% closed, it wont happen, if i completly close it, within 30seconds it fucks up.

thebliX said:
i had that problem, i dunno wut it is, but if i close my case, my screen does that, but as long as its 99% closed, it wont happen, if i completly close it, within 30seconds it fucks up.
thats really weird man.

is the card flashed? cause mine was doing that, and i had it modded to 1.4v.. once i flashed back, it works for hours on end.

edit: nevermind, saw that you werent oc'in... RMA it.. hopefully you have a spare around :(

man i know how you feel. the last tiem i flashed my 9600xt i got a temp reading lock up. but after 2 hours of panic and fear, i fixed it somehow ;)

heh.. ok so i happened to notice that there was WAY too much dust in my pc.. so I spent a good hour and a half shoveling out all the dust which was mostly on the cpu sink, very little on the gpu fans, after cleaning the whole thing out, I reseated the vid card, booted up and it works fine now...weird shit! thanks for the help though :)

a nice way to prevent dust from piling up like that is to (1) clean it out once in a while and (2) get a clear side on your case.

Techx said:
heh.. ok so i happened to notice that there was WAY too much dust in my pc.. so I spent a good hour and a half shoveling out all the dust which was mostly on the cpu sink, very little on the gpu fans, after cleaning the whole thing out, I reseated the vid card, booted up and it works fine now...weird shit! thanks for the help though :)

*SMACK!!!* BAD COMPUTER OWNER!!! NO FRAGS FOR YOU!!! :p

Glad to hear it's not dead though! Just remember, friends don't let friends have dusty computers.

Techx said:
..it's good to open your case once in a while and get dust off the CPU and vid card heatsinks

I've had something similiar happen to me..i fixed it though..it was a while back so i'm a little fuzzy on how I went about fixing it.. Judging by what I do when things go wrong I'd say I probably took the card out cleaned it, reinstalled the drivers, reinstalled the monitor, and crossed my fingers.

I get that same problems runnning T:V randomly. Sometimes it'll do that, sometimes it won't. Doesn't seem to be heat related as it's running at about 55C at load. It's happened about 3 times since I've OCed my vid card. All I do is reboot and it fixes itself. Maybe I should pull back on my OC a little, but my performance is too sweet for that! :D Because my temps are at 51C idle and 55C load it doesn't worry me. So for now, I just plan on ignoring it.

holy! 51-55C!...i would pull that back mine never goes over 40..obviously it's not good for it...

XSNiper said:
holy! 51-55C!...i would pull that back mine never goes over 40..obviously it's not good for it...

the 6 series runs hotter than the FX series, and the 6 series is made to handle those kinds of temps. 55c is fine, probabbly hitting about 80-85c at load

Back