hl2 hdr?

rowbear62468

Limp Gawd
is hdr turned on in hl2? i just got done playing and i would swear the lights look different, more lighty. i know, "lighty", you know what i mean. i dont think its just a placebo affect, it really looks different.

Nope, only certain maps support HDR, so unless valve goes through and redoes all the lighting in every hl2 singleplayer map, then we will see HDR....perhaps they could throw bloom in though.....

You will find HDR in the just released Day of Defeat: Source, or just wait until later on when Half Life 2: Lost Coast comes out. It's a single player map using HDR, don't confuse this with "all maps will use HDR", just that one map.

One of the recent Steam updates added an HDR option to my HL2 Video settings. Since I'm on a laptop with an X300, I shut it off, so I can't tell you if Valve somehow wiggled HDR into the main game. But the option is there, even if it probably doesn't work.

Terpfen said:
One of the recent Steam updates added an HDR option to my HL2 Video settings. Since I'm on a laptop with an X300, I shut it off, so I can't tell you if Valve somehow wiggled HDR into the main game. But the option is there, even if it probably doesn't work.

So the game is back in beta then? or are they using us as a beta for lost cost :/

I just played through 10 - 15 minutes of it. The HDR option is there and the game does not run as smooth as it did last time I played. In Route Canal the lighting does look a little different but maybe it is just me. Anyone else?

If you notice next to the option for HDR it says somethin to the effect of "only works in supported maps." Seeing as Lost Coast is supposed to be the show case for HDR I am willing to bet that no current HL2 maps/levels have HDR ability...yet. Valve is probably just adding in features getting ready for the release (soon) of Lost Coast.

The HDR in DoD:S is done quite well. Maybe Valve will ultimately make it available for HL2 as a whole....

i could have sworn valve said, when they were first talking about hdr, that it would be available in hl2. they said it was there, it just needed to be updated and turned on.

I also noticed a decrease in frames, but I didn't notice any HDR. It may just be very subtle or something, but I haven't recognized it in either HL2 or CS:S.

screenshots can never do HDR justice. its the effect of going from inside to outside. its very bright coming from a dark room, but then your FPS guy's eyes adjust. i love it

rowbear62468 said:
i could have sworn valve said, when they were first talking about hdr, that it would be available in hl2. they said it was there, it just needed to be updated and turned on.

Valve said in one article that was posted on the net that all NEW HL2 maps, expansions, episodes, etc... would have HDR. They also stated that HDR in HL2 as it stands now is very unlikely as it would require way to much time and work to redo that maps. Most of the maps would literally have to be redone to take advantage of HDR.

PSU Brian said:
Valve said in one article that was posted on the net that all NEW HL2 maps, expansions, episodes, etc... would have HDR. They also stated that HDR in HL2 as it stands now is very unlikely as it would require way to much time and work to redo that maps. Most of the maps would literally have to be redone to take advantage of HDR.

Linkage?

I'll post a link when if i can find it. It was about 2 weeks ago when i read it.

-Brian

Back