Hl2 Hdr

rancor said:
As I stated along time back as a scene with HDR takes 2 passes with the nV40 class, yes it will slow them down. But now any shader that requires 2 passes won't slow it down anymore because the geometry in that scene is already being calculated a second time, there will be no wastage.

Again, so if the NV40 does something in one pass and ATI does it in two passes and is as fast if not faster, is that bad?

HDR is not catching on, at least from where I'm sitting.

Halving performance is just not an option to have brighter brights (or areas of complete white).

A DX7/8 engine is pretty capable of creating decent brightness, its just that a lot of DX9/OGL video-engines (Quake/Doom3) seem to have a texture blending mode that darkens the screen with every added effect.

For example: I don't want to sound like I'm pushing a game or anything, but the upcoming guildwars.com has very bright and vibrant textures, and it looks that way on a DX7/8 class card... It surprised the heck out of me, but it just goes to prove that it can be done.

You do realize the only reason rancor is trying to pound this into everyone on this forum is because the x800 doesn't have SM3.0. Notice he doesn't just call it HDR, it's SM3.0 HDR. :p

To be honest, the Timbury demo looked neat, almost cg-like, but the performance wasn't all that great. It ran somewhere between 25-30fps. This on a 6800U and an FX-53.

In any case, I'm curious to see how HDR will look when applied to an actual game. Hopefully the first example will be when the FarCry 1.3 patch comes out. At this point, I'm hoping they are merging 1.2 and 1.3 together, otherwise, we might have to wait a while.

- D.

(The timbury demo really has to be seen in motion to be appreciated, still shots don't really do it justice.)

R1ckCa1n said:
Again, so if the NV40 does something in one pass and ATI does it in two passes and is as fast if not faster, is that bad?

See there ya go again talking about something you don't have the faintest idea, HDR without sm 3.0 true HDR takes up to 5 passes. On the nV 40's or any card that supports sm 3.0 will take 2. TWO NOT ONE on any card with sm 3.0. You even quoted me and it didn't get through......

God how can you miss that fairly plan I said with sm 3.0 takes 2 passes. Really man, ya must have a really thick skull lol.

Its not sm 3.0 HDR you fool, pay attention or check out MSDN's hdr source code sample they even explain why it won't work well with cards that don't support sm 3.0, I spelled it out for ya quite a few times in english, since you can't understand what I'm saying, that will be way above your head.

And thats from Microsoft and they are working with ATi on the r520 :rolleyes:

Back to the passes thing, 80 frames per sec for a scene in one pass, if 2 passes are done its down to 40 fps, if 5 passes are done its down to 16 fps. So no ATi can't do it faster...... Unless its 2.5 times faster doing 1 pass the nV, which in your wet dreams won't happen :D

i been reading this and as it seems rick doesn't know what the hell he is talking about and also that he can't read plain english either.
i was doing some research on what rancor has said, and he is right with the facts given. ati can't do True HDR unlike what nVidia can. ati has done nothing but screw around and basicly say fuck you to there customers. quite amazing they also been whoring valve. and how they have gotten valve to say hl2 runs better on there cards. which i do not see happening. thats my imho though. so take it with a grain of salt. but to me it seems ati has fucked them selfs hard in there own ass. and how they will recover from this will be amazing...so only time will tell and for ati they better hope hl2 comes out in the plus for them. or it just maybe the death of them

If you want a good example of HDR try RTHDRIBL, it uses render to texture and fp blending in PS 2.0, so it isn't a good performance indicator of future HDR (which will use SM3.0 and FP framebuffer blending for performance purposes) but it can give you a good idea of the IQ benefits of HDR. (it isnt' all about light blooms, it is about contextually correct light blooms)

all this is rubbish :D

HL2 has its method for HDR

when the game is out we'll find out how the IQ compares with performance

when a game comes out using OpenEXR's format then we'll see how that compares in IQ and performance

its too early to tell

give it time, it'll all work itself out

no use blowing brain vessles over all of this

Back