HL2 graphical update on the PC?

Koko56

[H]ard|Gawd
I've read that HL2 on the 360 got an update made to its graphics. The updates are motion blur and HDR.

Does anyone know if those updates will be available for the PC version of HL2?

I haven't heard this. If you want a stopgap, though, you could give this a whirl for a bloom effect. From the description, it doesn't seem like it implements the kind of exposure control EP1 and EP2 have though.

EDIT: Yeah, I guess Ryan O'Donnel of 1UP fame confirmed this in the video review of the Orange Box here. Drag.

saan44 said:
Valve is waiting on releasing it until after the orange box bonanza dies down and their bandwidth costs normalize a little bit.
Got a link?

I did a little digging and from what I found on the steam forums, Valve is waiting on releasing it until after the orange box bonanza dies down and their bandwidth costs normalize a little bit. Obviously no exact date released, but I would think it would be relatively soon.

I haven't heard this. If you want a stopgap, though, you could give this a whirl for a bloom effect. From the description, it doesn't seem like it implements the kind of exposure control EP1 and EP2 have though.

Thanks for that! May try it out... :D

I did a little digging and from what I found on the steam forums, Valve is waiting on releasing it until after the orange box bonanza dies down and their bandwidth costs normalize a little bit. Obviously no exact date released, but I would think it would be relatively soon.

YAYSKI!!! :p

HDR was introduced with Lost Coast. I'm pretty sure motion blur was in the options for at least one of the Orange Box games as well. Here's a snippet from wikipedia:

Half-Life 2: Lost Coast was developed as a playable technology demo, intended to showcase the newly-added HDR lighting features of the Source engine that were first implemented into Day of Defeat: Source. These HDR features didn't make a Shader Model 3.0 graphics card a requisite, due to implementing the harder-to-implement but theoretically less precise INT16 HDR rendering path, which all SM2.x, 3.x, and 4.0 graphics cards support, by nature. This also allows FSAA and HDR to be simultaneously enabled on all cards, even ones that support SM2.0. Lost Coast also demonstrates in general what the Source engine can achieve when system requirements and detail levels are significantly increased over games designed to run on a broad base of computers, with high-resolution textures and models.

HDR,Bloom effects and blur are all included in Episode 2 on PC.

They have been rumored or are certain add ins for the 360 versions of the Orange Box.

If you are asking if the original HL2 will be updated/upgraded to include those effects, one cant say.....as stated above HDR was first seen in Lost Coast, which was primarily a demonstration level.

I cant see why it couldnt happen.

HDR was introduced with Lost Coast. I'm pretty sure motion blur was in the options for at least one of the Orange Box games as well.

All three new games in the Orange Box use the updated Source Engine, which includes motion blur, HDR, support for multiple cores, updated facial animation system and and all that other stuff.

Don't have a link, but I remember reading that Valve would retroactively update the older Source games to use the new Source Engine (HL2, CS:S, etc.) within the next year or so.

That's good to know!

Yeah I'm talking about HL2 getting the update. I think it will really enhance it!

Back