HL2 Game Design Breakdown: Part III

Torgo

2[H]4U
Previous Parts:
Part I
Part II

Up until this point in the game, the action has mostly been narrative. A bit of action has been thrown in, but the game takes a sudden turn when Route Kanal begins. This third part in a series of game design breakdowns analyzes some design decisions in making this transitions and gives the reader a chance to gain some insight in some of the decisions made in making a AAA game title. As in my previous posts, I'm not a clairivoyent by any means and any observations made are based on my own experience working in the game industry and my gut feel as a player.

The majority of "A Red Letter Day" is exposition explaining the final details of the functionality of the game engine, explain some minor details to the plot and finally send the player packing on to his first official mission. In this area, you'll notice that a lot of detail is given to manipulating objects such as switches and plugs, as well as the basic functionality of the HEV suit. More on that in a second.

When entering the clandestine laboratory, you are greeting by Dr. Kleiner and his pet headcrab Lamar. The use of Dr. Kleiner is important because it gives the player a tie to the previous game. The main difference between the good Doctor and Barney is that the Doctor is a continuation of the character where as Barney is a reinvention. Barney was just a generic drone (or several of them actually) used as a tool. Dr. Kleiner always had personality and was a true character. Note that Valve used the same voice actor for the part. Continuity is always important in design. Players like familiarity; sounds and voices are a part of that.

For the most part, Dr. Kleiner and Lamar are used as a comic foil. They are essentialy the R2D2 and C3PO of the game. I mean that in a good way, because they don't end up being annoying like Jar Jar Binks. Comedy is important in a game. It can be dark or lighthearted. It's important not to carry a joke too far to a point where you just want to throw a brick at the monitor. As they say, less is more.

In this section, scripting is probably at it's best. Sadly it's not used enough. Throughout these next two rooms, there are little hotspots that trigger comments by Dr. Kleiner. Wander over to a picture and Dr. Kleiner comments about it. Wander by some machinery and you'll have Alyx or Barney mention something about it. This allows the game to have this illusion that it's "aware" of everything you do. It also keeps the prop sustained that Gordon doesn't talk. Also, all the bits and pieces here are active. It's like a tiny playground to have recess in.

The designers made it this way on purpose. Several puzzles rely on the gamer to understand how items work in the world in order to solve them. Recharging your HEV suit is one of them. You can't assume that everyone knows what they look like or how to operate them. Of course, Valve could have writen an instruction manual to explain it (and they should) but in-game practice is the best way to learn. There's also a situation where plugs and cables are explained on how they plug in or out providing power to items. Very essential to learn for later in the game. Flip a switch and things work. Ah, now we're ready to move on in the game.

Well, not quite. Let me quickly get into the HEV suit and game design surrounding it. When you first dawn the suit, I admit I got a sly grin on my face. Why? The suit is symbolic of the entire game. Without the suit, Gordon is a ordinary scientist geek. He's just Clark Kent. Put on a HEV suit that resists all but the strongest of radiations and headcrabs and you've got SuperGordon. Gordon is the ONLY thing that's orange and black. The suit is Half-Life 2.

Notice when you put on the suit you immediately hear the Valve jingle. They chose this music for two reasons. First, it's Valve's theme song. They're not about to use a Vivendi jingle or some other sound. They want the suit and game and everything about it to ring "Valve" in your head. For developers, this is part of the turf war. There's always gamesmanship going on between the publisher and developer. When I worked at Ensemble Studios, we were the only developer to get our name on the front of the Microsoft box. Next time you go to the game store, look at the front of the box and see how many developer names are on the front. Not many. Only the big guns can do it, and not every publisher allows it. EA is not one of them. The jingle is part of the larger game.

Secondly, the sound was chosen because you hear it at the beginning of any Half-Life game. Once you've received the suit, it's symbolic that the "game is now on". One of the few times you see your hands do anything other than holding a gun is putting on the suit. You stretch your fingers, feeling the power coming back to you. Yeah, you're ready to go kick some ass at this point.

From this point, the game unfortunately begins to become predictable. You don't need a Magic 8 Ball or Ouiji board to know that Lamar getting into the airducts and you going second through the transporter is going to end up not going according to plan. When trying to go for the unexpected, don't telegraph it. Cliche is an easy trap to fall into. I'll try and point out some of the bigger ones as I go along.

We're at the point where in the game the Lamar causes the transporter to fail. As with any transporter that fails, like in the first game, you are wisked away to different parts of the universe before your signal is finally stablized. This is also known as a "sneak preview" for the gamer. You're totally meant to see these things flashing before you as a precursor of the action to come. You're here, there, taking mental notes of "Wow, I can't wait to go there!" and "Oh, that looks hard". If you ever decide to use this technique, be careful on how you do it. Reveal too much and you spoil the plot line. For instance, you appear in the office of Dr. Breem. Gee? Think I'll end up in his office at the end of the game? You bet. If you want the player to be in the dark, don't show him anything. Personally, this is the second time in as many games this has happened. I can only imagine that it'll happen yet a third time in the next sequel. Star Trek has enough episodes surrounding failing transporters as it is. (Two weeks ago in fact was one.)

Once you're signal has been stablized you find yourself outside and wander over to the side of the building. Barney greets you and throws a old friend to you: the crowbar. He saved it for you from the first game. Two nitpicks. First, Barney, couldn't you have thrown me a gun as well? Gee, thanks. But how in Sam Hill did he get it since in the last game, I had the darn thing with me the entire game until the end when I stepped in the tram car with The G-Man? Whatever. The crowbar is a nice throwback to the old game. It's the one unique weapon that the game HAS to have. Doom has the chainsaw, Quake the railgun, Unreal has the uh... whatever. Half-Life has the crowbar. Able to pry open a crate and a skull with a clever swing. Note you never really crow or pry anything with it. Just swing it and bash things. It's really more of an ax. The point I'm trying to make is, every game has a signature weapon. When designing your own original game, come up with your signature weapon. It has to be original or used in a novel way. It doesn't have to be all powerful, but be used in a way that identifies with your game.

Now comes the action. Weapon in hand, you charge the evil wooden planks stopping you from going forward. Yeah, steel feels good in your hand. There's no real reason for the planks to be here other than quickly teaching the player that wood can be broken and you use the crowbar to do it. Seriously, you'd be surprised at some players who can't figure that out. Better to do it before the Combine soldiers start coming at you.

Too late, already they start attacking. This is the first glimpse of the AI in action. While they aren't the smartest recruits in the Combine yet, they're fun to watch. They do try to run and gain position on you and try to stay behind cover. One thing they don't do is press an attack against you.

Quick note about game AI. Most of the time, it cheats. It cheats big time. The simple reason why is that there are few good AI programmers out there. It's easier to program the all-knowing AI rather than do a good one. An all-knowing AI will know how much health you have, how much ammo you have and where you are located at all times. The AI will know when you're reloading and pick that time to attack. Once spotted you can never hide. It also knows that charging you when you're down to 10% health is the best time to attack. They also have perfect aim.

An educated AI is different. They make reasonable decisions based on what they see. They're much harder to program because they have a large decision tree and it does suck up some CPU time. Valve does a fairly good job with the Combine AI. The tend to be a bit timid, but they do fairly well to avoid your fire. The one point of realism that they fail on is unlimited ammo. That "feature" is there to avoid a passive stance by the player. Staying put until the enemy runs out of ammo then running up and putting a hole in his chest from three feet away. Remember, when designing a game that hyper-realism isn't all that fun. You need to take some liberties with reality to ensure a game remains enjoyable.

Let me stop down and make one quick art comment. One of the reasons that the Combine soldier is so great is that they are all generic. They're the anti-stormtrooper; all black and anonymous. Wait, why is this a good thing? Put yourself in the shoes of the art director when first learning about these guys. Gabe Newell has a twinkie in one hand and a pen in the other writing out what these guys are doing. "Yeah, they're everywhere and run everything. Hundreds of these guys! (munch munch) They're all dressed in black and have these cool weapons." The art director is sinking in his seat thinking, "How am I going to make all these guys? Are they all white guys? Maybe a latino or two? Any females in the bunch?" And then Gabe says, "Yeah, and they all were these cool (munch) black gas masks! Yeah, and maybe the eyes glow in the dark or something. They all talk through a radio and..." The art director smiles because he doesn't have to make a face for these folks.

Yes. The great thing about the Combine is that they don't have a face. Facial features are the hardest thing for an artist to create. Our brains are hardwired to recognize faces. We know instantly when a face doesn't look right. Even when we cheat by mapping scanned facial textures into a machine, we still know that something just ain't right. Slap a gas mask on that guy and you've got hundred of thousands of faceless minions! Suddenly, the art department sighs a breath of relief. Instead they have to work on the handful of rebel soldiers which do require faces. Always a bit weird when later in the game as in "Follow Freeman!" you end up with a set of triplets helping you. Not only does the Combine look great and dark with their outfit, but it also solves the problem of coming up with hundreds of facial models. Remember that next time you have a game with faceless minions. They're that way on purpose.

Continuing on, the player is dodging bullets going through a train yard. One thing you should remember is that when you put locations or objects in your game that you should be familiar with those items you're putting in the game. You should have at least an idea of how a trainyard or switchyard works. There's going to be someone (maybe like me) who knows more about the subject than you and will nitpick something to death. It's usually pretty easy to justify a decision by stating, "For gameplay purposes and for fun, it's better that we do it this way." That isn't always the case as some game makers have found out. When making Age of Empires, we had to be careful when creating our civilizations. One mistake could cause your game to be banned in a country for offending them. (Yes, this happened. Long story I'll share later.)

When it comes to trains, Valve is pretty good at making boxcars. It's fairly hard to screw them up. As a puzzle element, they tend to be pretty simple. Open door. Find ladder, climb up. Jump from one to the next. At this point, it's pretty evident that the game is very linear in nature. There's only one direction to go and the path is fairly evident. If ever lost, just look for the Lambda symbol.

I was going to save this for the next part, but I'll include the design thoughts around the use of the symbol and wrap up part III. I'd rather end on a good note rather than continue on to the disappointment that Route Kanal ended being . (That's called foreshadowing folks. Part IV will be a bit more critical than I have before.) The use of the Lambda symbol has origins in the past. Now, I'm not talking about it's use for gay pride, but I'm referring to the use of symbols to mark territory, safe haven or passage. Since biblical times, symbols have been carved into walls and caves marking areas safe to sleep or marking a place to find water or supplies. In modern American history, the Underground Railroad used quilts to signal safe places. In Ohio where I once lived, there was a house down the block that was part of the Railroad. In large cities, you can find signs of warchalking, areas marked that have a wireless hot spot available for people to use. You just need to know what to look for.

Gangs mark their area with graffiti. Neighborhoods mark their area with walled sections with large signs stating "Green Terrace" or "Rosewood Estates". Hungry? Just look for the Golden Arches. When I lived in Turin, Italy I was "friends" with the crazy guy that spraypainted "Zeus, Ti Vede". It included the all-seeing eye, the triangle with the eye in the middle. The guy really was crazy and called himself Zeus and he painted it everywhere so he could keep tabs on the city by using the eye. I only tell that to show you that symbols come in all sizes and types, but they hold significance to those that know the meaning.

In Half-Life 2, the Lambda symbol is used as a symbol of the first game (the Lambda Complex) and as a symbol of hope and of Gordon. Much like the ancient Christians used symbols symbolizing Christ and a safe haven, the rebels have used the Lambda symbol as a place to resupply and as a reminder of the apparent savior that is Gordon Freeman. In fact, Gordon is perhaps the last "Free Man" as noted in Dr. Breem's speech later on.

From a design standpoint, the player can instantly recognize the symbol and it's meaning... that is if you played the first game. You might catch on if you've never played the first game by realizing that the symbol is used on the cover of the game and every friggin' game menu. As the game wears on, you'll see the symbol increasingly and soon the player will make a beeline for the symbol knowing that the direction to go is towards the sign because the exit lies ahead or a crate with supplies is available. It's these visible clues that give direction to the player rather than have a big flashing sign or radar signal saying "Hey stupid! This way!" It's rather subtle and makes the player feel good because he assumes that he found it on his own and in charge of his destiny. That feeling of control is good to have with the player. Only take away that sense of control when you really want to sock it to him hard.

It did occur to me that the darn things are so obvious that Dr. Breen must need Laservision correction to not notice them. If you spray something in yellow paint and do it in a 2' x 2' square section, someone is bound to notice. It does become a plot hole, but a necessary one. The designers had to go with a large symbol so the player could quickly see where to go. Make it too small and the player spends too much time looking for the darn thing rather than killing Combine soldiers. It's big so the player can see it easily and get on with the game. If you were going for realism, the player would need to know ahead of time the general area of the symbol so he could look for it. This was a necessary choice. Remember, designing a game means making sacrifices in realism to have a fun game.

It's late. I hope you've enjoyed Part III. Part IV will be out in a few days and I'll cover Route Kanal in greater detail and Water Hazard. I'll be tough on it since I found this the low point of the entire game. Want to know why? You'll just have to wait.

Very well written. I haven't played HL2 (yet), but I found the parts you've written so far to be very enjoyable to read, also because much of it applies to (FPS) games in general.

Once again, a _very_ interesting read, looking very much forward to part IV.

Good read, as with the previous 2. I never really noticed the lambda symbols as a symbol showing where supplies are among other uses. If only I knew this sooner, I probably coulda have shaved a few hours off of the game.

bjork said:
my curiosity = piqued
I used to work for Ensemble Studios, makers of the hit series Age of Empires and Age of Mythology. I still mingle with the various gaming groups in the Dallas area.

Great article! I'm looking forward to the next with great anticipation.

Y'all do me a favor and email Steve to recommend this as a "[H]ardForum Happening". Not to just advertise this thread, but to encourage others to write similar ones in the gaming forum.

Sometimes I find it amazing that you can find forums and books examining the subtle nuances of classic films like Citizen Kane and Shawshank Redemption, but little in comparison to video games. Critics and professors will write articles and theses on a two hour movie explaining the symbolism behind the characters or the lighting in a particular scene.

Yet, we have these 40 to 80 hour masterpieces of interactive fiction that millions of people play everyday and you can barely find anything resembling a discussion surrounding game design. There's ten times the substance behind the game design of a classic game such as The Dig (story by Spielburg and Orson Scott Card) as you'll find in a craptacular film like "Dude, Where's My Car?" If you want to see more threads like this by myself or hopefully better written ones from others, support 'em and link 'em.

i would like to see your design breakdown on 'dude wheres my car' :p

doh-nut said:
i would like to see your design breakdown on 'dude wheres my car' :p
More like a "beatdown" than a breakdown.

When Kelso and Stiffler...er, I mean Jesse and Chester finally make it inside the geek cult compound, everyone is wearing the same style of black Vans sneakers. This is a reference to the Heaven's Gate cult who all wore the same style black Nike's. It also foreshadows the possibility of a similar horrific ending to members of the cult.

Torgo you write and analyse well. As with the other two articles thus far I've thoroughly enjoyed them.

I'm curious about the "banned" status of the Age of Empires game and what your story is of that. Do tell when you have the time. :D

As always we'll be waiting on pins and needles for the next installment. This one was more informative than it was critical but that's good. :cool:

Bah, Steve must hate me. I've written him twice about the series for the "[H]ardForum Happenings" and it's been ignored. :(

Sigh, I'll soldier on...

He must be busy...you've got a good thing going on here and deserve the traffic. :cool:

Yea, I've been really enjoying the reading. It's nice to have intelligent posts on the forum.

Gimme #4 damnit!

I've got tomorrow off from work so Part IV will be posted probably around noon... unless I sleep in.

Oh, and big thanks to Steve (and apologies for me being such a jerk) and to Kyle for providing a free forum with hundreds of thousands of visitors for me to show off on. ;)

Excellent post and analysis, man. I thought the game rocked...

Excellent posts! Although I am confused as to what the 'purpose' of these posts are... Sometimes you criticize something, saying it should've been done better, then you say they did something right, then you say they did something else for the specific purpose of dot-dot-dot.

My question is: Are you writing these to simply get your opinions known or are you trying to appeal to game designers to change the way they make games and design plots/storys?

Great writeups. Just postin to let you know the liurkers are still here.

Oh yes, when you post part 4 could you add a link to it on you first post? Maybe add links to each section at the top of every section? Makes it easier for us lazy people :)

Wow, that's really well writen, and a great breakdown of the game. Looking forward to seeing more.

The regular reviews often become great yells of 'grreeattt' or 'baaaddd', this breakdown of the game is more like an insightful comment, which is fun to read... and gives a few clues on what is going on inside the game studios.

I'm not sure if I agree, that every game should have their signature weapon - more or less, I feel the selection of weapons of many games are becoming generic. A single signature weapon cannot make up for a weak selection of weapons i.e. the pistol, machinegun, sniperrifle, minigun, whatevergun.
What I lack in a lot of games (not Half-life 2 though) is a more 'tuned' selection of weapons, which follows the mood and type of game. One of the best examples I can remember on the top of my head is the Thief series. Although you could define the bow as a 'signature weapon', the important part of that game is the narrow selection of weapons, but a wide use of these few weapons (like the many varied ammo types for the bow). These weapons are a perfect fit for this game series, as is the gravity gun for HL2. (Scientists + weapons = gravity gun :) )

Your review is quite well put together and thought out. Unfortunately I did not agree with quite a bit of it.

1. Plot

Simply put, Half Life 2 is full of back story. You simply have to pay attention and keep quizzing NPCs you meet to get it. One particular example is Eli's lab at Black Mesa East. If you look at the bulletin board on the wall you will find out most anything you want to know about what has happened since Black Mesa. Sure the details are missing, but that actually makes it more interesting, since you have to use your imagination to piece things together. Little tidbits like this are scattered throughout the game; you just have to find them and put them together yourself. Unlike System Shock, HL2 is not going to spoon feed you the back story through journals and other obvious means, and so many more impatient players appear to have missed it. If you take the opportunity to speak to every NPC more than once, and look around the labs and other areas where NPCs have been in residence for awhile (the logical place to find clues) you will get lots of information. There is enough information available that one of the players has been able to construct a timeline that is fairly thorough and apparently Valve has confirmed the gist of it.

Half Life Timeline

I never played the original Half Life beyond the first few levels and I had a full idea of what was happening simply by using the clues the game provided.

2. NPCs

The NPC voice acting was superb, as you have noted. I found all the characters to be quite immersive and the interaction with them subtle but enjoyable. And the first thing I said when I met Judith Mossman for the first time was "I don't trust her." That says a lot for the verbal and non-verbal cues that Valve put into the NPCs.

3. Gordon Himself

The lack of overt response from the Gordon character, as well as the decision not to break the wall by showing him out of body, made him me. I can't give a game higher praise than that. I looked where I wanted, moved where I wanted and in critical dramatic instances was unaware of the necessary mechanics (keyboard and mouse) to do what I wanted to do. You can't get more immersive than that absent virtual reality.

CptTrips said:
My question is: Are you writing these to simply get your opinions known or are you trying to appeal to game designers to change the way they make games and design plots/storys?
Mostly to get people who are designing levels on their own or to those people who think "Well, I can do better than XYZ Company!" There's more to making a game than following a cake recipe. There are penty of decisions that have to be made that have to balance gameplay and art. So when I oscillate between the "this is good" and "this is bad", it's only in an effort to help future designers with critical thinking and effects of their decisions. Am I going to change the way a designer does his game? Pffft.... yeah, right. Game designers are among the most pig-headed people in the industry. They usually don't listen to anyone but themselves. (I've had my fights with them. One in particular.) However, if I can influence the up and coming generation...

jrrich said:
Simply put, Half Life 2 is full of back story. You simply have to pay attention and keep quizzing NPCs you meet to get it. One particular example is Eli's lab at Black Mesa East. If you look at the bulletin board on the wall you will find out most anything you want to know about what has happened since Black Mesa. Sure the details are missing, but that actually makes it more interesting, since you have to use your imagination to piece things together. Little tidbits like this are scattered throughout the game; you just have to find them and put them together yourself. Unlike System Shock, HL2 is not going to spoon feed you the back story through journals and other obvious means, and so many more impatient players appear to have missed it. If you take the opportunity to speak to every NPC more than once, and look around the labs and other areas where NPCs have been in residence for awhile (the logical place to find clues) you will get lots of information.
I'll point out how Valve should have done it, because it aggrevates me to no end. Now, I totally encourage designers to hide extra bits of info in their game. These easter eggs of information are totally fun and can add to the experience. The key words in that sentence are fun and add. The plot of a game should never be completely hidden from view. What if the player doesn't find that plot element tacked to a employee safety board? Is the player expected to read everything that's on a wall? Especially the tiny, tiny print. If so, why wasn't it covered in the beginning training levels? Why is it that a web site has to be created to summarize the timeline, when it should be obvious as the game progresses? (BTW, I did first see the site about a month ago.)

The problem with the way that you describe is it totally screws up the pacing. Half-Life 2 is an action game. The pacing should slowly build to a crescendo with minor spaces to just catch your breath. If the player is hanging around the labs reading the government minimum wage plan and the sign stating 152 days have gone by without an incident, then something is totally wrong with the game structure. If you're going to hide a few items to quickly (quickly!) make you either laugh or scratch your head, fine. The lab sections of Half-Life 2 end up being a lot like Border's where the player can hang out, have some coffee, catch up on a couple of science journals and... oh yeah, I've got to save the friggin' planet. I'd better get to that after my latte has cooled off a bit.

Now I was going to get to pacing later in my breakdowns, but I'll ask this question to the rest of the forum. What did you think about the game pacing? Did you feel it was constant throughout the game? Did the breaks feel long enough, too short, or too long? Did you feel that the game had a beginning, a buildup, a climax and an ending?

I wanted to drop in and thank you for your well written and thought provoking posts about HL2 game design. I have played through the game a few times now, and your comments have given me some things to think about when I play the game again. Thanks for your efforts, and I look forward to your next part! :)

To begin, great articles.

Regarding pacing, I felt that it was too sporadic. Many parts of the game were very interactive while others were totally bland. As you stated, Kleiner's lab was truely an awesome area, but some of the houses on the side of Highway 17 seemed far too empty. At times they were simply a house with almost random equipment thrown around. It should have been immediately obvious what each building was before it was abandoned.

It seemed as if certain people did certain areas (suprise!) and only some of them were truely master level designers. For example, Nova Prospekt had far too much action and felt like it had zero plot elements. I can summarize it with 3 different settings:
  1. Basic combat
  2. Bugbait combat (standing around while bugs did everything. Fun the first several times)
  3. Defense while Alyx hacked terminals
Okay, so you're in a prison and there isn't a whole lot to do in prisons. I understand this but I really felt that there should have been more ... explaining. I wasn't even sure what the point of the prison was. Perhaps I'm only bitter because of a bug that plagued me by spawning another Alyx that followed me during a level load, forcing 2 Alyxs in the game and causing one to die because the door kept crushing her. Damn glitches.

I would have been interested in more "story times." Due to a distinct lack of definite plot building areas I felt the game was just far too Doomish. Explaning things would be counter to the original Half-Life, but I feel like they just wrote some more events and didn't tie them together with the previous game well enough. The encroaching walls of the citadel that ate the city are a most basic example. It could have been as simple as an NPC telling Gordon why it was imperative that they avoided them! "Gordon, we must hurry! The citadel's walls will recycle us as construction materials right along with the buildings!" (okay, so I'm not a good writer.)

This message is just a disorganized stream of though. Treat it as such. ;)

Elixir said:
At times they were simply a house with almost random equipment thrown around. It should have been immediately obvious what each building was before it was abandoned.
Someone else posted a link to a travelogue of driving a motorcycle through the remains of Chernobyl. In it were many photos of homes and business that were left abandoned both because of the rush to get out and because of the contamination. The blog mentioned how creepy it was that everything was still there, just no people. The silence was noticeable.

So if the intention was to create Ravenholm along these lines; a city just abandoned, there could have been more done as you say to create that feeling. Overall, Ravenholm was the best level in the game, and I'll break it down in a future section. I think that some of the Resident Evil games and even 7th Guest and 11th Hour did a good job of that abandoned, decaying feeling.

Perhaps I'm only bitter because of a bug that plagued me by spawning another Alyx that followed me during a level load, forcing 2 Alyxs in the game and causing one to die because the door kept crushing her. Damn glitches.
I had one similar. Just after a hovercraft attack which I shot down, the debris fell behind the road gate to continue onward. The script for the doors had a bug where if the doors hit anything while opening, it would slam shut. It would hit the go-kart everytime no matter how fast I drove. Even worse was the script could only be run once. I had to use a pistol to shoot under the gate to move the debris away. Yeah, that was fun.

One thing that you need to be careful of when crafting your final build is that often you remove parts of the game or even rearrange them. I've seen developers get too close to a project and since they designed and wrote the game, they know everything about it. This myopic vision can result in huge plot holes. Film directors do it all the time. If you remove a game level that contains major story elements, you need to address them in other parts of the game.

Appreciated the time and effort you put into the analysis. It was a refreshing perspective of the game.

Yes, definitely thank you for the effort you're putting into these well worded descriptions of the gameplay in HL2. It is appreciated and I look forward to the next one.
Thanks Torgo.

Regarding pacing, I felt that it was too sporadic. Many parts of the game were very interactive while others were totally bland. As you stated, Kleiner's lab was truely an awesome area, but some of the houses on the side of Highway 17 seemed far too empty. At times they were simply a house with almost random equipment thrown around. It should have been immediately obvious what each building was before it was abandoned.

I definitely agree with this. While we are a bit deviating from the original topic, let me summarize it a bit : some areas are very well done with interactivity and plot details scattered around, but others are just a bit long without clear details like those areas :​

-Water Hazard : While we know that we need to go somewhere, there is not much interactivity other than the few places to go to move forward. However, the best place, while be a bit frustrating, is the spot where you must move the blue barrels under the landing floor to make it high enough so you can jump. The length of certain areas is a bit discutable and this area is the worst of all.​

-Highway 17 : It is a area well done but for the empty houses with random things, they should have added a few hints around like newspapers talking about the combine invasion, the movement toward big cities and such can help us understand why those houses are empty. I looked around in each house and I never saw any reason why they are empty aside from guessing. They should also have made it a bit less linear by having 1-2 roads to choose, including one who go to a closed town to get the hint.​

Back on topic, I agree with most of it but about the AI, I think they should have limited weapon and let them resort on other things when it is empty or see them reload with the clips on the belt. This make it more realistic because it let you take this short moment of reloading to attack them.​

This is just my opinion on how design should be done differently but the thoughts behing everything in this topic is mostly correct.​

Yea I can't get enough of Half life2 :) Totally love the game and love reading about things I might have missed. Good articles and surprising it's in a forum. Rare good read indeed. Agree with most, might disagree slightly, either way very well written. Please keep it up.

My nitpick to you though: Jokes about Gabe and overweight make it seem unprofessional article. Didn't think it was funny whether you like him or not. That's when you started dipping into "common forum user" mentality. ;)

Simply a nitpick and that's all. Once again. Great read

Torgo, can you give me a quickie on your feeling about Deux Ex (on PC, no console versions or the sequel)

For me, this is still one of the best single player FPS game
(I still play it, more then almost anything else)

Depends,
DeusEx it is what you want it to be, but it's closer to a FPS, then an RPG.

Back