HL2 - Finished

Scheizekopf

[H]ard|Gawd
So I just finished HL2. The whole game was pretty awesome.

Graphics were killer.
Story was pretty good.

It ended and I was like... :( What?

I didnt really see the end coming. I thought there was going to be more.

Other Opinions?

Scheizekopf said:
So I just finished HL2. The whole game was pretty awesome.

Graphics were killer.
Story was pretty good.

It ended and I was like... :( What?

I didnt really see the end coming. I thought there was going to be more.

Other Opinions?

I too just finsihed the game, and was like WTF at the end ? Wont give away spoilers but it just didnt seem to end right, like there should have been more of a closing ?

I hope future expansion packs reveal more.

Same. It felt very very unfinished...like the writers had a brain fart and decided to throw the G-Man in to wrap things up.

However, more to the point. I heard..(I'll try to find the link later) that they are in the process of making HL 3 right now. I'd be happy if it were truely true, because then I could find out what happened.

*Tips hat to Valve* Though the ending was very cliffhanger-ish I feel that Valve has done an excellent job at creating a story. The first HL was like the first book in a 3 part series, and this was the middle where events build up and something climatic is about to happen. I hope that if there is a 3rd it will be much like, LOTR ROTK, and be all that it can, and finally put a resolution to everything. It will be interesting to see how things develop.

On another related point.

Who else is upset that HL 2 has no multiplayer option? Sure CS is fun and all, but I am very VERY sure not everyone is into that gameplay. What was the deal with it? I have seen some Mods for Multi pop up, but...I'd so much have rather seen Valve do it then the Mod community (no offfence). Besides who will we complain to with our issues about multiplayer? :-P There will be no central source, besides Forums. *Shakes fist at valve*

Well those were my 2 cents.

abudhu said:
Who else is upset that HL 2 has no multiplayer option? Sure CS is fun and all, but I am very VERY sure not everyone is into that gameplay. What was the deal with it? I have seen some Mods for Multi pop up, but...I'd so much have rather seen Valve do it then the Mod community (no offfence). Besides who will we complain to with our issues about multiplayer? :-P There will be no central source, besides Forums. *Shakes fist at valve*

Yea I wish there was a HL2 multiplayer too. CS:S is fun but the maps of HL2 are really cool.

ThreeDee said:
....think ..."Empire Strikes Back"

Before Lucas made his ultra special editions or after? :rolleyes:

Ending for HL2 was very dissapointing. More like a really really really bad Twilight Zone episode.

My girlfriend ended HL2 5 days after it came out. It took her about 20 hours playtime to finish on normal difficulty. She had the exact same response... kind of a "wtf ending" ... I wouldn't know as I haven't finished it yet :p

I let her use my computer for 2 days while I nuked her system and got ALL her programs and games put back on... Since then, I haven't had the urge to go back and finish it. I am "still" a RA3 junkie and can't stop playing that... :D

Well, if you guys thought the HL2 ending was abrupt...have you guys finished Halo2 yet? Heck, I thought another level was loading, so I was standing up to go grab another pop when the credits started to roll!

monster.under.thebed said:
congrats on making a whole thread to tell people you beat hl2.
have you beat hl2? Didnt think so. When you do, you'll understand why he posted this, the ending is something else.

Gah, now we all have to wait for valve to make a sequal, any bets on whether it will be an expansion or a completely redesigned game engine?

as Empire Strikes Back left things wide open for a third movie ... so does HL2's ending

I finished it at 3 am last night, after getting it friday night for $37 at frys :D. When all is said and done I have 5 words: I wish there was more. Not because the story is lacking, but I enjoyed it so much that when I finished it I was like "that's it?!?!??"

SPOILER ALERT!

Just a question for those that finished it... does anybody know what is up with the really thin looking - skeletal looking dudes? I saw them all over when riding thru the Citadel on the moving casket thing.

Aliens? Converted City 17 people? Also, did you notice the big green beasts pulling stuff?

I was really sad we didn't get to see more of that!

Otherwise, I loved this game. I haven't been this happy with a game since finishing the original Dark Forces 2 - Jedi Knight.

darkjedi said:
SPOILER ALERT!

Just a question for those that finished it... does anybody know what is up with the really thin looking - skeletal looking dudes? I saw them all over when riding thru the Citadel on the moving casket thing.

Aliens? Converted City 17 people? Also, did you notice the big green beasts pulling stuff?

I was really sad we didn't get to see more of that!

Otherwise, I loved this game. I haven't been this happy with a game since finishing the original Dark Forces 2 - Jedi Knight.

Maybe all thats for HL3?!
Yeah, I too noticed the creepy ass slave guys, and the green things haulin stuff.. I wasnt really all, damn, I dont get to kill'em, but I also wasnt disappointed at the end, I kind of like endings like that, as long as they're patched up later on.. As in, if they dont release HL3 to patch it, then I'll be pissed. Or at least an expansion or something, other than that, I liked the ending.

abudhu said:
On another related point.

I wish Valve didn't wimp out on multiplayer. CS and CS:S are great but who else remembers the fun of alt-firing a grenade right into someone's chest?

Ron1jed said:
ya. they just want to get more money. those bastards
You're right, paying your employees and generating funds for further development is bad for business. They should all work for free, and finish DNF while they're at it. I wonder if people would have said the same thing about id if Doom3 had been this good. :eek:

I suppose we still don't know who 'our benefactors' are.
I only got a small glimpse of them near the end with Dr. Breen...
We'll probably get to meet them in HL3 :)

Bah - who cares who our benefactors are. I just wanted to see Gordon get into Alyx's panties. She damn well better be in the sequel/expansion pack.

wfalcon said:
Bah - who cares who our benefactors are. I just wanted to see Gordon get into Alyx's panties. She damn well better be in the sequel/expansion pack.

Why did you say that. Why? Dude I hate to be the one that breaks this to you... its a game. She's not real.
;)

pistola said:
Why did you say that. Why? Dude I hate to be the one that breaks this to you... its a game. She's not real.
;)

You think I don't know that? I'm not the one posting screenshots of her crotch or asking for a nude patch. (Speaking of, I'm surprised one hasn't been released.)

But seriously, I just think all the time spent developing the characters was wasted, hers in particular since she played a larger part. I mean come on. She talks about how she grew up with Dog. She's street smart. She is a people person, otherwise she'd have left Doc Kliener and his stupid headcrab. She obviously didn't get along well with the female scientist. All of a sudden time stops, and Gordon is rescued? Does G-man rescue her ass too? If so, why? If not, well, then it's rather obvious what happened. They basically threw the entire damned story out the window at that point. I could have even handled her death better than that lame ending.

Furystrike said:
have you beat hl2? Didnt think so. When you do, you'll understand why he posted this, the ending is something else.
Thanks. You're probably right.

archevilangel said:
When all is said and done I have 5 words: I wish there was more.
Yes. Exactly.

If there is a HL3 (of which based on the ending of HL2 there has to be a HL3) .. I think Alyx will be around for that one.

as stated with the character development , there was too much of it with the Alyx character to just blow her up and leave it at that ....

..and with stuff like the nude patch for the sims and that kinda stuff ...sheesh dudes , get a life ...lol :)

I also just finished it and agree about the ending. While it may seem like they threw the story out the window, I think that's not exactly true. What I dislike most is that they most probably threw out all the character development they did. That was the best part of the game in my opinion. But as far as the story I think it is still valid as it serves as a revelation into the methods of the Combine. What I disliked most about the story is that they only gave you small scraps here and there. The details really aren't very fleshed out. I suppose this is good because it is in keeping with what Gordon Freeman knows and in that sense keeps the game very first person. But I like a fair bit of an omniscient point of view every once in a while.

For those possibly wanting to know some more details about the story thus far, read this timeline (the one posted on the [H] front page a few days ago). It does a good job of summing things up, even if I don't have a clue where he got some of the things he talks about.

And lastly about HL2 multiplayer, I would also like to see it, but judging by how many people played HL multi only months after release, I don't think it would be worth their time. Especially because the weapons in HL2 are much more bland than they were in HL and that is what made HL multiplayer so much fun.

the@ntipop said:
For those possibly wanting to know some more details about the story thus far, read this timeline (the one posted on the [H] front page a few days ago). It does a good job of summing things up, even if I don't have a clue where he got some of the things he talks about.

I didn't see the front page link, but unless I see some official confirmation verifying anything that says I'd file it a good portion of it under HL fanfic. Although it's very well done and nicely designed.

Dijonase said:
I didn't see the front page link, but unless I see some official confirmation verifying anything that says I'd file it a good portion of it under HL fanfic. Although it's very well done and nicely designed.
Actually, if you scroll down to the "Latest News" part of the page, you'll see that a Valve employee pointed it out as being accurate for the most part.

Here's a quote:

"Good job! Marc Laidlaw pointed this out to me as being pretty darn accurate for the most part."
- Gary McTaggart (Valve)
I'm playing through HL2 a second time and alot of what he says is pretty spot on. A bit of it seems to be speculation but his guess is as good as anybody's.

Would anyone here be kind enough to send me their save game? I got as far as the jail w/ the never ending wave of soldiers. This has happened to me twice now, and I really don't feel like paying all the way up to that point again.

[email protected]

Zallek said:
Maybe all thats for HL3?!
Yeah, I too noticed the creepy ass slave guys, and the green things haulin stuff.. I wasnt really all, damn, I dont get to kill'em, but I also wasnt disappointed at the end, I kind of like endings like that, as long as they're patched up later on.. As in, if they dont release HL3 to patch it, then I'll be pissed. Or at least an expansion or something, other than that, I liked the ending.
That's how I feel about it. I wasn't disappointed by the ending at all. I thought it was pretty cool to end it like that.

croc_ said:
Would anyone here be kind enough to send me their save game? I got as far as the jail w/ the never ending wave of soldiers. This has happened to me twice now, and I really don't feel like paying all the way up to that point again.

[email protected]
Why don't you just start a new game, and choose the Nova Prospekt chapter to start from?

Bane said:
Why don't you just start a new game, and choose the Nova Prospekt chapter to start from?

Yeah, that would work if I had my save game data. It wasn't a bug or glitch, I actually lost the save game files. My fault, but anyways someone sent it to me already.

darkjedi said:
SPOILER ALERT!

The 'Stalkers' you refer to would be converted humans used for slave labor...

Jima13 said:
The 'Stalkers' you refer to would be converted humans used for slave labor...

Yeah...they get 'converted' at Nova Prospekt. There was a site link on the [H] front page that did a good job on going into detail on what's what and who's who in HL2. A makeshift story line.

Back