HL2:DM is hilarious when you're winning, absolute shit when you're losing.

finalgt

Supreme [H]ardness
The argument could be made that this would be true for most games...but HL2:DM takes it to an extreme. Every single gun that you start off with sucks ass; the gravity gun requires an environmental object nearby to be effective, the SMG is inaccurate as hell and takes half a clip to kill somebody at less than 10 feet (a whole clip and then some at any range greater than that) and the pistol, ironically, is actually better than the SMG, but is still pretty hard to kill somebody at range with. But then you have the weapons that you can pick up...let's see. A revolver that's accurate as hell, has plenty of ammo if you know where the spawnpoints for it are, and kills in one hit...unless the person has 100h/200a. Then it takes 2 hits, anywhere on the body. Then there's the rocket launcher, also a one hit kill...the shotgun, a one hit kill if you aim for the head at close range and use the secondary fire.

The reason this is a problem is because a lot of the time you spawn randomly in front of some person who has a revolver, a rocket launcher, or a shotgun. It takes a fuck of a lot of skill to kill somebody who has a revolver with any of the default weapons, and it's even harder because they start you off by default with the grav gun. Am I the only person who feels like there's absolutely no skill involved in this game beyond getting to a revolver / shotgun / rocket launcher? You have to suck pretty bad, or get triple teamed, to get killed when you have one of those guns.

yeah, i have to agree, when i had one of the better weapons i felt like i was owning and everyone else was a bunch of n00bs, until i ran out of ammo, respawned, and was repeatedly ass raped by the next person who had a shotgun or 357.

what bugs me more is the issues of random lag-lock, where you have a 20 ping to a server that you joined, and then time out for no particular reason.

I think the shotgun is pretty pathetic. I've unloaded all 6 shots at someone only to go down when they've hit me once with the magnum. The magnum itself is a little too powerful, and needs to be toned down. Not only does it do ridiculous damage, but it has pinpoint accuracy and the projectile has no travel time, unlike the crossbow. The RPG on the other hand, seems perfect the way it is, though the rocket doesn't always follow the laser.

The best way to deal with magnum whores, I find, is to pick something up with the gravity gun(preferably something big, so it can shield you), then strafe-sprint up to the person and let it fly. Strafe-sprinting with the SMG works too, but you don't get the same kind of protection or satisfaction as with the gravity gun.

I dislike the magnum since it's so powerful and the server I joined didn't have any on it (which was a plus).

The biggest gripe I have is spawn killers who camp in one spot (ez to get used to spawn points and hold a desk, computer, etc and then fling it at the newly spawnd guy).

Also, when you're running by an area, somebody spawns, starts shooting you, and then you kill them.. then ur accused of being a spawn camper :rolleyes:

Despite the flaws, it's great and addicting. I was going 375-177 with mostly the smg/pistol today :p.

I think I have an image that supports this theory

hl2dm.jpg

But I'm always on the giving end...never recieved an ass whooping...alot of people blow with the revolved but my god it's my favorite :D

i never really had any problems with the magnum and no one really beats me that bad...

-warsaw

q8uhl2dm01.jpg

Mostly revolver/shotgun.

c3ahl2dm02.jpg

Those guys kept camping in that room, and I finally figured out that they were going to it repeatedly, so I started just lobbing grenades in there. It was hilarious to hear their reactions on the mic as they both sprinted out...into my shotgun.

I have to say I've had my share of issues with being magnum whored, and even gravity gun whored, because for some reason I encounter a lot of collision bugs, if that's what we can call them, where I throw something that goes through a guy and then he throws something at me and I'm dead. Also I've shot an object at someone at the exact same time as they shot an object at me, but for some reason the objects flew through each other killing us both. That's happend quite a few times. But I believe most of these annoyances will change when/if they use some of the great outdoor maps and patch some TDM.

I know what you mean. I can't stand Magnum whores, yet I join them eventually.

The SMG is pretty pointless against the other weapons most of the time.

The only time the magnum and crossbow and such are difficult to use is when weird warping or lag is occuring and people jump from side to side as if they can disappear. Obviously it's hard to hit even with the magnum then.

I've discovered that pulse gun secondary fire is pretty darn fun too.

But I'll tell you what sucks the most. Team DM servers with friendly fire on. THAT IS THE MOST STUPID THING IN THE WORLD, PLEASE DON"T DO THAT SERVER ADMINS!!! Unless there's no setting for it, but I thought for sure I was on some TDM servers where ff was off.

I agree, it's so not balanced. Crossbow has it's weekness of slow travel time, but the magnum is just plain ridiculous. Games are won and lost because of it.

it's a magazine not a clip :rolleyes:

finalgt said:
The argument could be made that this would be true for most games...but HL2:DM takes it to an extreme. Every single gun that you start off with sucks ass; the gravity gun requires an environmental object nearby to be effective, the SMG is inaccurate as hell and takes half a clip to kill somebody at less than 10 feet (a whole clip and then some at any range greater than that) and the pistol, ironically, is actually better than the SMG, but is still pretty hard to kill somebody at range with. But then you have the weapons that you can pick up...let's see. A revolver that's accurate as hell, has plenty of ammo if you know where the spawnpoints for it are, and kills in one hit...unless the person has 100h/200a. Then it takes 2 hits, anywhere on the body. Then there's the rocket launcher, also a one hit kill...the shotgun, a one hit kill if you aim for the head at close range and use the secondary fire.

The reason this is a problem is because a lot of the time you spawn randomly in front of some person who has a revolver, a rocket launcher, or a shotgun. It takes a fuck of a lot of skill to kill somebody who has a revolver with any of the default weapons, and it's even harder because they start you off by default with the grav gun. Am I the only person who feels like there's absolutely no skill involved in this game beyond getting to a revolver / shotgun / rocket launcher? You have to suck pretty bad, or get triple teamed, to get killed when you have one of those guns.

The biggest problem with gameplay I see is spawn camping. It's sad so many people do it.. Even more sad when they think they're good cause their name is at the top of the scoreboard. Ooooh yeah, it takes such elite skill to kill someone who spawns in! lol
They need to randomize spawn points.

Spawn points is a problem in every MP FPS I have ever played. I am sure it will be tweaked.

I have noticed a few servers were the rocket launcher was removed from the map.

Whatsisname said:
it's a magazine not a clip :rolleyes:

You know exactly what I was referring to, so I will continue calling it a clip to piss you off. :)

Back