HL2 DM - have patience

-freon-

Limp Gawd
Everyone complaining of the lag and non-smooth play of HL2 DM, just hang in there and give them some time.
When HL1 was released (I bought it day 1), DM was just as bad, if not worse. It was even kinda laggy on LAN. Apparently Valve is still a little slow in the DM department lol.

I entirely agree. It's sorta like new specifications of hardware: It's released and has some bugs, crucial or minor. It doesn't matter, it happens and revisions happen and Valve works for an update ever Wednesday. More maps, hopefully the server lag will be fixed and return of the crowbar! :D

mr tanooki said:
what lag? i get a ping of 20 and no lag whatsoever on a server with 32 players
Thats probably on a high end server though. Most people understand it requires a nice pc to play the game, but they're yet to understand the concept that all these new, powerful physics computations require a somewhat powerful server, not your old CS server.

I played last night... there were lots of servers in my list at sub 30ms ping, and having spent an hour on the UK jolt server I saw no lag at all.

I see plenty of low ping servers from here in the UK and with a lot of people on. Sometimes it runs smoothly for a bit, but then players will start skipping backwards and forwards or hopping about the place.

Takes a bit of the skill away - how are you supposed to toilet the opposition if they skip out of the way of your perfect trajectory shot?

I like to pretend HL2 DM as a beta version since the just announced it out of the blue and released it officially.

I mean hey, before CS:S was released officially, it had a beta and there problems. Best way to find problems is to give it to the people and we're the best testers.

HL2 I play and my ping is always under 150/ms and usualy around 50-100 so it's fast enough for me, but a few days ago the lag was unbearable on several survers.

-freon- said:
Everyone complaining of the lag and non-smooth play of HL2 DM, just hang in there and give them some time.
When HL1 was released (I bought it day 1), DM was just as bad, if not worse. It was even kinda laggy on LAN. Apparently Valve is still a little slow in the DM department lol.

Yeah the only difference was HL1 used a slightly modified version of the original netcode from Q1, which was HORRIBLE. They had to release a patch a long while after HL1 was out before the lag was relieved for dial up users (broadband users still experienced lag but not as bad as dialup.). I cant remember exactly when the patch was released but I believe around CS beta 5.x. It took em a while, but they did fix the problem.

Back