HL2 delay...again?....hmmm...strange timing

i think imho that hl2 will be close to a crash and burn game..the hype for this game is nothing compared to doom3 or even halo2.....i don't hear anything at all about hl2 not as much as i have heard about doom3. oh well....
halo2 will own hl2
doom3 imho has already owned hl2. The makers of doom3 don't lie and bullshit around and fuck with people, unlike what valve has done...i would so laugh my ass off if hl2 gets delayed again....and i wouldn't be surpised either...

Rizen said:
Graphics don't make a game. And for that matter HL2 looks spectacular. Who cares?

People don't spend 300 to 600 US dollars for video cards to run games 640x480 low quality everything no AA/no AF. Graphics and gameplay go hand in hand, when both are great, you have a great game, when one is lacking the overall game quality suffers. So to respond to your statement, your wrong, graphics combined with gameplay DO make a game what it is. If you meant to say "Graphics ALONE don't make a game" then I would agree with you there.

[RIP]Zeus said:
i think imho that hl2 will be close to a crash and burn game..the hype for this game is nothing compared to doom3 or even halo2.....i don't hear anything at all about hl2 not as much as i have heard about doom3. oh well....
halo2 will own hl2
doom3 imho has already owned hl2. The makers of doom3 don't lie and bullshit around and fuck with people, unlike what valve has done...i would so laugh my ass off if hl2 gets delayed again....and i wouldn't be surpised either...

Thank you for that. I feel so enlightened now. D3 totally has 'owned' a game that hasn't been released yet. That's pretty impressive I guess. Well, if you are entertained by pretty lights and repetitve gameplay, I can imagine that Doom would be the epitome of an FPS to you. I, on the otherhand, expect a little more out my games. Doom was good for what it was, an expensive, playable, tech demo. Halo 2 will probably be a great game, I agree. But if you think HL2 is going to 'crash and burn' you need to get your head out of the sand, have your eyes checked and your ears cleaned out.

For me its past graphics that I'm excited about HL 2. The physics engine is going to be awesome and I think add a level of game play that has not been seen yet. Especially when you get a weapon like that matter maniplating gun to throw things around. Graphics will be great, not Doom, but thats not HL's selling point.

Actually the poster is right. The truth hurts.

HL2 will be a good game no doubt, the physics and versatility will be amazing, the graphics will not be. I do plan on buying it, but mainly for the mods that will come out on the engine not HL2 itself.

The statement about graphics not making a game is silly around these parts. This is the [H] not some sissy gameplay loving forum. We want it all, graphics, gameplay and naked girls. Again, I look forward to HL2, but with delays up the ying yang, remember (using common sense) this is an older engine that has been delayed a release for quite some time, don't expect Super Half Life 2 with a cape.

I liked doom 3, it was a welcome change of pace. To me it doesn't matter if hl2 is better or worse graphicly: as long as I enjoy it. This doesn't mean it has to be a clone of other games, it just means they have to have a style and do it well

[RIP]Zeus said:
halo2 will own hl2

DOOM 3 was def a crash and burn game..nobody is playing after finishing it...no replay value AT ALL....

What this with everyone saying the graphics for Half-Life 2 suck? Am I the only one who is actually greatly impressed with the way the game looks? From the high-quality binks to the variety of widescreen screenshots, I haven't seen anything that has me underwhelmed.

I dont understand why people are saying that Doom3 owns HL2, when
a) HL2 isnt out yet, and you have absolutely no idea how good or bad it will be
2) They are completely different games.

I really loved Halflife. I didnt play it untill last year, so the graphics were quite dated when I experienced it for the first time. That didnt matter though, I still think it's the best game I've ever played, and I'm looking forward to playing it's sequel. I just loved the style of the gameplay, the level design, the story, the voice acting, everything about it.

Doom3 is a technical breakthrough, arguably more advanced than HL2, but I'm just not a huge fan of Doom-style games.

Ricko said:
Regardless of what you think about Doom 3....it simply is an astonishing game. Period. It has taken computer graphics down the playing field a LONG.... way. Apparently, according to insider sources, HL2 is using an engine that is NOT as "cutting edge" as Doom 3 or even Far Cry. With that being said and the recent brooha over ATI's performance in Doom 3...HL2 is back to polish and shine in an attempt to distance itself from the HUGE shadow that has been cast by Doom 3. There are some other games on the horizon that will give HL2 a run for it's money...F.E.A.R. that took E3....1st. place and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.....HL2 is trying to time the relaease of the game when ....the coast is clear. Trust me. They know what they have...it It ain't gonna blow your mind. Good...yes...but not worth the delays AND the hype. I'm tired of waiting.
What in the hell is the point of this thread? :rolleyes:
Because Doom3 is a good game, HL2 can't be???
Grow up.

theelviscerator said:
DOOM 3 was def a crash and burn game..nobody is playing after finishing it...no replay value AT ALL....
I agree. At least you can fukc around with the physics in HL2 when you're bored. I just beat D3, and sadly I don't think I'll play through it again. It was a cool experience though. I'm going to play through Gothic again :D. Can't decide if I want to play 1 or 2 though. :confused:

doh-nut said:
http://www.planethalflife.com/features/articles/sigg04/

i dont know how people can think those are not beautiful graphics.

I agree wholeheartedly. It seems to me that a lot of people here can't handle both Doom 3 and HL2 being good games. It has to be one or the other.

I grabbed the HL2_2004Trailer_1024 bink video a week or so ago and I think the graphics in HL2 are on par with anything else out there today. I particularly think the character models give those in Doom 3 a run for their money. The models in Doom 3 looked good, but they had a bit of a wax dummy look to them.

In the end does it really matter which game looks better?

914642_20040805_screen001.jpg

It's what a typical scene in halflife would be. Atleast that's what i'm told.

Sly said:
914642_20040805_screen001.jpg

It's what a typical scene in halflife would be. Atleast that's what i'm told.
Wow that should shatter doom3 in peices.

Looks F*cking Ugly if you ask me, that SS doesn't even look like HL2, or the HL2 i've seen in the trailers...WTF?

I posted this in another thread because I thought it was this one. So I'll just say the same thing as I did in that thread, not that anyone cares anyway.

I think I will enjoy both games. Both are totally different, both look pretty good, both have their shining points. Currently I am busy with Doom 3 so i could really care less about HL2 at this point. The more I hear about delays the more I lose interest. I was really excited about it around a year ago, now I'm just like, "eh cool it is close to being released, I'll probably go buy it", of course with the attitude that if it never were to make its release, well I wouldn't be that disappointed since it has been delayed so much already, that and I am tired of hearing people compare it to Doom 3 and preaching it as going to be the greatest game etc. So i am losing interest. With that said, when it is released I think it will be a great game, just as in my opinion Doom 3 is a great game. I personally don't care to play CS, CS:S, CS2/whatever at all so I am only going by HL2. Might get into it at some point but probably not. I'll probably pick it up when or around the time it comes out. In my opinion Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 will be the knigs of their own little world, then STALKER will come around and be a king of its own. The arguments over which is better is just pointless.

I'll see your HL2 and raise you a STALKER.

stalker-shadow-of-chernobyl-20040824011524824.jpg

Ya, I can't honestly say I find HL2 to be graphically wowing.

Been browsing Gamespot. I hope these aren't from the final game. Everything just looks... well... flat :(

Ah well, i'll be too busy shooting stuff to notice anyway :)

Stalker's looking good too :D

Expectations are running high, it's gonna be a long fall if it flops :D Same thing happened to Doom3 remember?

Doom3 is out and people have experience it and can offer honest
comments.

HL2 is not released, yet people magically know how the game plays
and how the graphics look.

hl2 is gonna be just as good as hl1, and will have great replay value w/ all its mods and cs:source and later cs2...I've been playing cs:source a little bit and its so much better than doom3 its not even funny

batman we aren't playing poker, im not competing with you so grow up. and stop leeching bandwidth from ign.

see i can post unflattering shots of stalker. but its really pointless

stalker_04-2004_12.jpg

i don't think ill ever understand why people have to bash some games to somehow justify other games( :rolleyes: ). its really not necessary. these games all look good, and we don't know which one will be a better game overall.

Who cares, its the gameplay thats important, not the graphics.

Hundreds of thousands, hell millions of people still play the orignal HL and Mods on its engine.

Nuff Said.

I'm excited about S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I like seeing games that are under the radar a little become good titles. Enough on HL 2, judge it when it comes out.

Hammer Down... :D

How did I know this was gonna be a Doom 3 vs HL2 thread...?

I got three words for that...

Get
Over
It.

Nobody can say anything about anything, with out playing the game. But I will say this HL2 has some things Doom 3 lacks. Great Pyshics, and varitey in enviroments. But whos to say whats better? Its not out yet, just wait and see. Thats my 2 cents.

Edit: I'd also like to add something else. I've learned over the years that screen shots of video games absolutley do zero justice for how a game actually looks, don't judge a game by its screenshots.

It takes true naivety to believe that Valve is afraid of Doom 3. They created the most widely fucking played multiplayer game on the planet, which has held that title for a few years now...and they're afraid of a game coming from a company whose other games are only considered in the upper echelon because they were among the first in the genre, and therefore command a bit of wistfulness-cum-respect? Please. iD is around because they created a genre of imitations, which even they were forced to imitate for their newest "masterpiece of the art form."

Doom 3 is a good tech demo. It looks amazing. It is not, however, a good game. It only seeks to scare you, that's all: it would be as successful as a game if it was just a full screen movie split down the middle; the right side showing that movie where nothing happens for awhile and then something jumps out and scares the bejeezus out of you, the left side showing impressive-looking environments being rendered in real time...repeated ad nauseam.

Ricko said:
They don't want to be anywhere around Doom 3...they don't want the comparisons. How long does it take to get this thing out?.

Unfortunately, in my opinion Doom 3 has already lost all of its hype and luster.
The multiplayer is lacking and leaves nothing to the imagination and honestly there is only so much you can do single player wise.

Technically Doom 3 has been turned into a big fancy benchmark and also a game in which people says "Man!, i wonder what games they can make with this engine"

I honestly hate the saying that "Doom 3 isn't a good game" I actually dislike that with about any game. Basically if you didn't like it, that justifies it as not being a god game? I think it is a good game, I liked it, I thought the Original Doom 1 and 2 were good games, this one is similar, I think it is a good game as well. I think Half-Life 2 will be a good game. If i don't like it, I could just as easily say it was just a tech demo and isn't a good game. Does that mean it isn't? No. I didn't like Enter the Matrix, does that mean it wasn't a good game? Not Necessarily. It just seems pretty pointless to me, I have this feeling that people automatically make up their mind before they actually play the game.

In my opinion Doom 3 was a great game. I think Half-Life 2 will be a great game, as much as I am sick of hearing about it and sick of people holding it up as if it was their own personal jesus, i think it will be great none-the-less. I don't know why it sparks such flamewars between these two games. I actually think S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s will beat both of them, doesn't mean I'm going to put down every other game until I get that one. All I care about is the games that are out NOW, and the ones I am playing NOW.

[RIP]Zeus said:
i find hl2 boring
just like i found hl and cs boring
cs = teh sUcKxOr

i might d/l the game and give it a run
but it's not worth 50+ dollars imho
How can you find HL2 boring? The game hasn't been released yet :rolleyes:
Discussing warez around here is a no no, so hinting that you're going to download the game isn't impressing anyone.

Anyways, to the original poster:

Implying that valve is holding back the release of HL2 because they are intimidated by id's release of Doom 3 is laughable. There is far more interest in the HL franchise than there is in the Doom franchise. If you don't believe me, check out www.steampowered.com or take a look at http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/.

As I write this, there are over 60,000 people playing a HL based multiplayer game, while Doom 3 has just over 500 people playing. I realize that Doom 3 is a single player oriented game, but frankly I don't see anyone playing the single player game more than a few times. Once you're finished with single player, there is no compelling reason to keep it installed on your machine other than for benchmarking purposes, or for its less than spectacular multiplayer.

HL2, on the other hand, offers the complete package. A full length singleplayer game, the original Half-life game ported to the source engine, CS: Source, DOD: Source, etc. The list goes on and on.

To be honest, I'm not even a big fan of valve. They've screwed over the community countless times with their release date BS. They've let down countless fans with their failed projects (TF2, powerplay, etc.). But I'm not going to delude myself into thinking that HL2 won't be successful just because I dislike the company that made it. HL2 will be hugely successful, probably many times more successful that Doom 3 in terms of longetivity and replayability.

IxGOxSOLO said:
I Basically if you didn't like it, that justifies it as not being a god game?

Had to point this out. I know its a typo, but an Ironic one... don't ya think?

finalgt said:
They created the most widely fucking played multiplayer game on the planet, which has held that title for a few years now...

The success of HalfLife is mainly attributed to CounterStrike which is made by someone not from Valve. Gooseman made the most successful game on the planet on his own for free. It was helped a lot by other considerate people who supported him and his game, also at no charge. Please give credit where credit is due. :eek:

Where i'm from, there are hundreds of computer shops hosting the game. Of the thousands of CS players here, only a very small percentage actually played halflife. Half life wasn't a success as a game, CS was. ;)

HalfLife2 was the first try as an independent game. The original one was made using another engine, not their design. The skyrocketed sales was from people who wanted to play CounterStrike, which is not their game. The only thing it has significantly in common with HalfLife2 is the storyline. Although it's a pretty amazing quality for their first try, it's still only their first try, so go easy on the criticism and don't overhype. Let's just hold our judgements til the final game comes out. :)

I don't really see the point this game taking credit for the success of the earlier one, as it's practically a completely different game. If anything, such judgement would only hold back the game. Treat HalfLife 2 as another HalfLife? It's like comparing a Pentium IV to a K6-2 :D

So far, the official screenshots are from 'choice' areas on what the engine can do, and from the screenshots i've seen from other reviewers, whether or not they would actually be able to hold out that quality throughout the game is still in question. I forsee people nitpicking problem areas like they did with Doom3, they've even uploaded dozens of pictures on their quest to have the worst possible experience on a game (Yes, some people have made it their holy mission NOT to enjoy an expensive game they bought), the same may happen with Half Life 2. Get a grip guys, just enjoy it when it comes out ~_^

Gimme a sec to put on my flame suit... aw crap... the zipper's stuck!

@doh-nut
If that's unflattering, i'd like to see the good pics! ^_^

Back