HL2 CD Key HELP!!!

v8_h8r

Gawd
Ok here is the deal

I got 2 older gentlemen at work really interested in HL2 about a year ago. They intern had me build them computers that would handle the game. They are not to tech savy and i usually end up doing almost everything for them. How to burn dvd's and etc. Well one of them bought the HL2 ATI bundle and does not have internet. so this weekend he brings me his Tower and his HL2 coupon and i commence to making him an account and dling the game for him so he can come pick it up and play in a few hours. well i go to register his product and it says that the cd key is already in use. WTF so i try to go figure out what to do. send and email or what not and valve has the shittiest tech help ever known to man. So i cant figure out what to do about this and i refuse to let an honest man who HAS paid for the game get fukd over. If ne one can send me a link or somethin to help me i will be very grateful to you.

thank you

Jeremy

Their links are useless. They tell you what you should do and who you should contact without actually giving you any specifics (Most of the links they provide are useless and give you nothing but automessages).

Your account key was likely stolen, just as mine was. I don't know how people are doing it, but they're managing to get ahold of keys and account information somehow (I know for a fact that nobody has access to my computer).

Try the billing@steampowered address. The people servicing that one actually help. The ones at other addresses just kind of funnel you around.

I had to provide proof that I had purchased the account.

I remember a while back that ATi had fucked up and some folks got Duplicate CD-keys on their coupons. I think Valve had some special fix in place specifically for that.

Mr_Evil said:
I remember a while back that ATi had fucked up and some folks got Duplicate CD-keys on their coupons. I think Valve had some special fix in place specifically for that.
yes the fix is -i just read it on the FAQ- BUY a new Key. very nice company :)

Question
When I try to register my NEW CDKey (90 days or less from time of purchase) Steam says it's already in use!
What do I do?

Answer

FOR NEW GAME PURCHASES
If the CD key from a game you just purchased fails to register on Steam and it's been 90 days or less from when you made the purchase, you must contact the publishers, Sierra, about this problem.

Please contact them at this email address: [email protected]

NOTE: Before contacting Sierra -

1. If you have more that one Steam Account, please make sure you have not registered your CDKey there.

2. Please verify that you are entering in the CDKey exactly as it is printed on your package.

You must include the following within the message in .jpg format:

1. A picture of the actual game CD.
2. A picture of the HL/CS packaging which clearly displays the CDKey number.
3. A picture of the sales receipt.

NOTE: Please allow up to 2 weeks to receive a reply from Sierra / VU Games

NOTE: Valve is unable to verify the status of email you have sent to Sierra/VUGames! Please do not send Valve email asking about your submission to them.

If you do not have a scanner or a digital camera, many copy and camera stores offer these services for your convenience.

and what if we dont have the fuckin receipt anymore?
Because you know everything I buy I keep the receipt till it crumbles to dust just incase some unlawful fuck takes my shit and I need to prove I own it :rolleyes:
wouldnt a scan or sopy of everything and your drivers license suffice?

I have the same issue with an ATI HL2 voucher. They want the f'ing receipt. I'm sorry, but I don't keep the receipt for a frickin' video card I have already gotten rid of because Valve took too damn long to come out with the game. So, their advise was to buy the game again. Wow, great advise, thanks for all of the help. The only people this validation system screws are people like us. The pirates don't care, you could download it the day after it was released and never have to worry about steam or a CD. /rant

Vlad

Yep, don't know what to tell you guys other than valve sux. I bought hl2 off of steam, and haven't had any problems, but just all the bs I have heard about from others has pretty much convinced me not to buy another thing from them again.

Crap like this is exactly why they shouldn't bundle unreleased games with hardware. Cause if anything happens ati won't help ya, and the publisher is going to tell you to screw off because its not like they made much money on it.

well when you pay for a game and you cant play it , the company refuses to help you efficiantly etc

i see no other alternative than the obvious

ill call gabe newell

haha....whatever.....thanks guys ill c what i can get accomplished

Well, if your buddy paid for the ATi card with a form of payment other than cash you can usually retreive the receipt from Best Buy and Circuit City. Hell, even the small computer parts store here in town keeps track of receipts.

inotocracy said:
Question

3. A picture of the sales receipt.

NOTE: Please allow up to 2 weeks to receive a reply from Sierra / VU Games

Ok, not only is number 3 stupid, as stated before, who keeps a copy of their receipt for a video card for over a year, but 2 weeks to look at a .jpg image and send you a new key? Bullshit. :rolleyes:

They should have you mail the voucher back to them so they can issue you a new one. What BS man.

i already scratched off the ticket to register is this gonna affect ne thing

Jeremy

i now have emailed them several times and it has been a few weeks and no reply. If i get the GO BUY THE GAME AGAIN reply i plan on takin Vivendi or whomever to court for false advertising. If you to have been givin the same response and still have your ati hl2/bundle card w/ the key and all the receipts for the vidcard, plz pm me. i would like to have a list of people to take to court that show whom has been fukd by vivendi

thanks

Back