• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

HL2 64 Crashing

shockerweb

n00b
Joined
Dec 28, 2005
Messages
51
Hi all, I have an X64 Copy of windows and I have started playing HL2 in 64bits. They released a update that allowed this. I played COD2 straight through with out a crash or error, prime stable, then I go to play HL2, I played for about 3 Hrs with no problems. As I was playing, I was on the phone with my friend at he was about 5 minutes behind me in progress. Then I got to a certain part in the game, and it crashed, and he then crashed in the same exact spot, minutes later. There was a looping sound and (hl2.exe has encountered a problem) So I was totally frozen and I restarted *note he also has x64... Any ideas ? I dont believe its related to the hardware in my computer but a Software / Driver related issue. Thanks, shockerweb
 
You would have to rule out your overclock first. - try clocking your video cards down to normal speed. If it still does it with stock speed then I would think it's a driver problem. I had crashes with the 64bit as well, but I was also having crashes playing HL2 (DOD Source) and that has turned out to be a driver issue. (I had to revert back to 78.01 Forceware). I have yet to try 64bit HL2 or Lost coast since I first tried it after the 64bit patch.
 
I am having crashes in CS:S as well. I am using the 80.xx drivers, but I think mine may be PSU related (nothing is overclocked).

On another note: How do you get the x64 version of HL2? How are you sure that it is really 64bit?
 
drizzt81 said:
I am having crashes in CS:S as well. I am using the 80.xx drivers, but I think mine may be PSU related (nothing is overclocked).

On another note: How do you get the x64 version of HL2? How are you sure that it is really 64bit?

the "XP 64 Mode Activated " bubble when HL2 Start :-D

also... my friend has NO overclock and he crashes in the same spot but we both have the same drivers for videocard and soundcard .


You automaticly get x64 when it detects you have an X64 system. Steam auto downloads and patches for x64. Long coast is x64 also... much higher fps .
 
You actually saw increased FPS? I had what seemed like worse performance. I don't think the 64bit patch adds any performance improvements - I think it's like Farcry 64bit patch where it's only ADDING more eyecandy. I never found any info from Valve stating it would improve fps/performance.
 
Give this a whirl of you haven't already:

Go into the Steam interface and add the following for the HL2 launch options:

-w 1280 -h 960 -refresh 85

Of course, you'll need to replace the 1280, 960, and 85 to whatever height, width, and refresh you run. Doing this solved a bunch of launch and crash problems I was having.
 
Back
Top