Hitting jump while running stops character

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
I've always noticed that when I am running or sprinting ("W" or Shift-W) hitting the space bar to jump stop my character running. Why is that, and is there any way around it?

It's the same thing when holding the "W" key down in Notepad, etc., and after you hit space, the character "W" stops running on.

Does your keyboard support NKRO? (n-key rollover). Most modern keyboards do, especially the mechanical keyboards targeted at gamers.

From google:
"N-key rollover, or "NKRO," is a feature of high-end keyboards that detects all keystrokes no matter how many keys are pressed simultaneously. It ensures every keystroke is recorded and prevents "ghosting," in which an extra keystroke may be registered when multiple keys are pressed together."

Google for "n key rollover" if you want to read more info on the topic, or check for your specific keyboard support.

It's definitely the above. You have a cheap and/or non-gaming keyboard.

The way they wired it up only certain combinations of buttons can be pressed at the same time. It's a cost cutting measure. You can try messing around with different combinations to find something that work, but you're better off just getting an actual gaming keyboard with NKRO.

I haven't had this issue since AT keyboards. Maybe on some PS2 ones, definitely not on any USB keyboard regardless of not being gamer branded.

Lots of recent Logitech keyboards (both good and bad models) have this issue, but it's only certain keys and/or certain combinations.

Even better is when you press three or four at once, and one of them gets stuck down. :D

Had this issue with one of my old keyboards–could only do one or two keys in certain combinations, although it was okay with others. 100% the keyboard.

What's frustrating about this kind of thing is that it has rendered some otherwise awesome keyboards as pretty useless for gaming. It's not easy to find rollover info on most keyboards. That and I'm not really a fan of most "gaming" keyboards, too.

Does your keyboard support NKRO? (n-key rollover). Most modern keyboards do, especially the mechanical keyboards targeted at gamers.

From google:
"N-key rollover, or "NKRO," is a feature of high-end keyboards that detects all keystrokes no matter how many keys are pressed simultaneously. It ensures every keystroke is recorded and prevents "ghosting," in which an extra keystroke may be registered when multiple keys are pressed together."

Google for "n key rollover" if you want to read more info on the topic, or check for your specific keyboard support.
Yes, it is. The phenomenon isn't an NKRO or ghosting problem. I can hold down several keys and they all register without ghosting. The problem is when I'm even holding ONE key, the "W" key, and I hit the space bar, I'll get the space, but then the "W" key stops repeating (I just used the "W" key as an example because it's the forward key in games). Try it in Notepad. Just mash the "W" key and then hit your space bar.

It's definitely the above. You have a cheap and/or non-gaming keyboard.

The way they wired it up only certain combinations of buttons can be pressed at the same time. It's a cost cutting measure. You can try messing around with different combinations to find something that work, but you're better off just getting an actual gaming keyboard with NKRO.
It is NKRO

What's frustrating about this kind of thing is that it has rendered some otherwise awesome keyboards as pretty useless for gaming. It's not easy to find rollover info on most keyboards. That and I'm not really a fan of most "gaming" keyboards, too.
It's not a rollover issue. It's simply pushing and holding one key (such as, "W") and the hitting your space bar. The W will stop repeating. I mean, maybe that is a rollover issue, but not from my understanding of what "NKRO is.

It's only a two key combo, and all keyboards can do that without rollover issues.

I just ordered this Mistel keyboard FULL NKRO. It uses Cherry MX keys. I guess well see if the phenomenon is really NKRO. I don't think it is because the board I have right now is NKRO.
Mistel

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's not a rollover issue. It's simply pushing and holding one key (such as, "W") and the hitting your space bar. The W will stop repeating. I mean, maybe that is a rollover issue, but not from my understanding of what "NKRO is.

It's only a two key combo, and all keyboards can do that without rollover issues.

I don't know the ins and outs of what is specifically defined as NKRO, but I've had several (all Logitech) keyboards where pressing certain keys totally nullifies others. Just 2 keys. Either the input doesn't register or one input dies and is replaced by the other. Not just in games, either. You can see it in Notepad and it even invalidated certain Adobe shortcuts.

So nobody has asked this question:

Is this issue in every game you play or just certain ones?

Also, will you lose momentum if you try to jump with the space bar while holding A, S, or D?

I've mentioned this before in a similar thread: Certain Logitech keyboards use a system called PerfectStroke which only allows for certain keys to be pressed within certain defined ranges of the keyboard at once. If you have one of those keyboards then that would explain the issue.

Try it in Notepad. Just mash the "W" key and then hit your space bar.
Notepad is programmed to stop accepting input from held down keys once another key is pressed while those keys are still held down, that's intentional as it's a 'one action at a time' app. Most games on the other hand keep polling all your inputs even when other keys are pressed simultaneously, supporting multiple actions at a time. However some games may be programmed similarly to notepad, where one jump input stops all inputs others until re-pressed.

You should test this on multiple games, especially first or third person action games where complex actions/combos while moving are the norm. It might be one specific title that's the issue.

Fortnite (which is a free download) is a great test for NKRO issues - in that game there's like 20 keys you need to constantly be pressing in multiple combinations almost piano-like, if your keyboard works for complex 'moving/building/editing while weapon switching' in that game it'll be sure to work in any other game.

Notepad is programmed to stop accepting input from held down keys once another key is pressed while those keys are still held down, that's intentional as it's a 'one action at a time' app. Most games on the other hand keep polling all your inputs even when other keys are pressed simultaneously, supporting multiple actions at a time. However some games may be programmed similarly to notepad, where one jump input stops all inputs others until re-pressed.

You should test this on multiple games, especially first or third person action games where complex actions/combos while moving are the norm. It might be one specific title that's the issue.

Fortnite (which is a free download) is a great test for NKRO issues - in that game there's like 20 keys you need to constantly be pressing in multiple combinations almost piano-like, if your keyboard works for complex 'moving/building/editing while weapon switching' in that game it'll be sure to work in any other game.
Isn't there a program to check that stuff? Good info BTW, and I haven't played my game since a long time, my MMO, which is coming out with V2 soon. You know, now that I think about it, I don't think I did have that problem. I could jump and just keep moving, I think. I just wanted to make sure that when I start again, ahve a keyboard that will not limit me. I'm never had a gaming keyboard, although I did have higher end boards.

Back