Hitting a wall @ 2.1Ghz with 3000+ & NF4 Ultra-D

Booby McNipples

[H]ard|Gawd
No matter what combination of multiplier, FSB, and ram divider I use I can never get past 2.1Ghz. System specs:

DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra D (PCB rev. 02, chip rev. A3)
A64 3000+ Winchester (stock HSF)
MSI 6600gt
Geil 2x512 pc3200
Antec true power 550w (20 pin)

This PC is in the basement and has 7 case fans, CPU temp at 32c as I'm writing this.

I know DFI calls for 24 pin power supplies for stabilty concerns but my Antec is rated for 30A on the 12v rail. Isn't that enough? Also, my ram ain't the best but even if I set the ram divider at 100 or 133 I still can't get past 9x233 stable. The best I can do is 9x230, LDT x4 or x5 (I know, HTT = 2350, kinda high, but it runs!) and ram 1:1. My ram will do memtest86 at 233fsb with no errors. I've cranked the Vcore to 1.65, NB to 1.8, and LDT to 1.4 but no change. I had an A8N-SLI for about 2 weeks and this CPU would easily do 2.4Ghz stable on that problematic mobo. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Some chips are just not good overclockers. I have a 3000+ that, when i bought it, would only do 2.1 for the person I got it from. I have it at 2169 right now and its stable. Im using PQI PC3200 Turbo which is TCCD.

I had an A8N-SLI for about 2 weeks and this CPU would easily do 2.4Ghz stable on that problematic mobo. Any suggestions? Thanks/QUOTE]

are you asying the mobo has 24 pin adapter and your psu has 20pin/? If so, are you using a 20 to 24 pin converter? If your not, thats your issue right there i think

Worminater said:
I had an A8N-SLI for about 2 weeks and this CPU would easily do 2.4Ghz stable on that problematic mobo. Any suggestions? Thanks/QUOTE]

are you asying the mobo has 24 pin adapter and your psu has 20pin/? If so, are you using a 20 to 24 pin converter? If your not, thats your issue right there i think

Yes, the PSU is 20pin (ATX 1.x) and mobo is 24pin (ATX 2.0) and no, I'm not using a converter. Asus claimed that a 20pin will work with their boards, DFI however strongly recommends against it. I'm considering purchasing a neopower (I wish I could afford the PCP&C 510 SLI!) because of this, I just find it disappointing that the 550 truepower can't handle the load. I just bought the dang thing a few months ago! :(

I'm confused does ram effect overclocking on AMD 64's like pentiums

buy the converter. ive heard of overclocking issues when using a 20 pin power supply on a 24 pin motherboard. some motherboards dont heavily rely on the other 4 pins, but some do. go get the 20 to 24 pin converter and see if it fixes your problem. good luck and happy ocing

Back