Hitachi vs WD

I'm looking for a few opinions regarding the IBM 180GXP 180GB 8MB Cache vs the WD 180GB Caviar SE 8MB Buffer. I'm just wondering if the different read speeds and track times are noticeable in comparison to one another and if the IBM is worth the ~$1/GB vs the ~$0.50/GB for the WD.

Here, read this review,

http://storagereview.com/articles/200211/20021127IC35L180AVV207_1.html

and note the benchmarks that apply to you most. If you want a general feel for the two drives, they basically trade places for first place, averaging out to roughly equal performance. Of course, Hitachi has come out with a new generation since then, and its 7K250 series now has a general performance advantage over WD's 7200 RPM offerings. Also, the 180GXP and 7K250 drive families run much quieter than just about every WD drive.

I went from WD special edditions to 7k250 SATA drives. The Hitachi subjectively seems about the same in performance but is much much quieter. Both in raid ) configs.

You cant go wrong either way. Go with best price and Warranty.

i've got the ibm 180gxp. i love it. never had a problem with it. the drive is fast + quiet.

Do the new IBM drives have overheating problems? I had a deskstar (40 gb, can't remember exact model number) and it died on me because it overheated, according to Hitachi (wasn't my fault, the drive series was notorious for heat problems)

My 180gxp gets warm, but not hot like a WD drive I recently worked on.

On a related note, I've asked this question before, about whether or not its important to cool hard drives. I've been told "yeah you should" or "no you shouldnt", but I figure its best to always cool your drives. I've got a case fan in the front of my tower and i've rigged up a little cage that sits right in the air flow of that fan. I haven't had any problems with any of my drives.

Well, I havn't had any experience with Hitachi drives but mine with w WD special edition 120 GB was a bad one. I didn't even build that system, it was a compaq and the drive just slowly kind of died on me w/o me realizing (thinking that well, a big corperation put this thing together how could they screw it up?) I think it may have overheated or something, but in the end I lost all my data.... oooh that was a bad day.

Back