Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 - 2TB SATA 6G - $79.99 w/ FS at NewEgg

Can't say - No reviews on NewEgg yet either.

I have had decent luck with their recent 7K2000 1TB drives...

These are not 7200 RPM drives (that is their 7K3000 series). We have all learned that the aerial density is rather great on these larger drives and sequential throughput at less than 7200 RPM is still fairly good. Heck, most of us are raiding these or using them more as storage and not as an OS drive...

They don't call these the hitachi deathstars for nothing....

The other deal for the Western Digital 2TB on sale for the same price basically, $79 after rebate is a more reputable brand.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Those were IBM and that was almost 10 years ago... Hitachi is fine.

I have a 7200rpm hitachi and it has been great so far. I'd be willing to try it out if I needed it. The big two makers seem to be pretty lackluster so lately.

They don't call these the hitachi deathstars for nothing....

The other deal for the Western Digital 2TB on sale for the same price basically, $79 after rebate is a more reputable brand.

my 60 GB IBM deathstar was the first hard drive that failed on me. never again

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Those were IBM and that was almost 10 years ago... Hitachi is fine.

Yeah. Not buying this drive because of IBM a decade ago is like not buying a GTX580 because your voodoo3 card once failed.

I still have a 120GB "Deathstar" in a machine here... Actually, IBM's the only brand of HD I've never had fail on me, oddly enough.

Yeah. Not buying this drive because of IBM a decade ago is like not buying a GTX580 because your voodoo3 card once failed.

I still have a 120GB "Deathstar" in a machine here... Actually, IBM's the only brand of HD I've never had fail on me, oddly enough.

I have 7 seagates none have failed on me. Had one wd drive die but that was powersupplies fault.

I have plenty of Hitachi drives in the past 5 years only 1 truly failed on me out of the 5. The other 4 are still going strong.

Consdering one as a replacement to a WD Green 2TB drive.. that just failed and found out the warranty expired already.. very odd

Speaking of the Voodoo 3, Nvidia didn't take over production of 3dfx's products, it was more to buy the IP for sli technology :) Still the death star fiasco was giant, but I would bet that a great company like Hitachi has overcome the hard drive issues.

Back