• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Hitachi 5k3000 Master Pasword Needed

BigXor

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Messages
90
Anyone know the master password for the Hitachi 5k3000 2TB hard drive?
 
I forgot my password, is it possible to recover data on a hard drive with Bulk Data Encryption?
A: There are two HDD passwords (user & master) and two HDD security levels (high and maximum). If the user password is lost and the security level is "high", the master password can be used to unlock the hard drive and restore access to the user's data. If the user password is lost and the security level is set to "maximum", the master password can be used to unlock the hard drive; however the data will not be retrievable. If the user and master passwords are both lost, then the drive will not be functional until one of the passwords is remembered.

The drives do not ship with any default passwords set. Hitachi cannot restore access to a user's drive if the passwords are forgotten.

Note: Not all hosts allow for setting both user and master passwords, and not all hosts allow the user to select the security level
 
I called Hitachi and talked to one of their senior techs, he said there is no master password.

Long story short - No magic wand. I had to RMA all four drives.

Moral of this story - Do not use Internal Secure Erase on 5k3000's.
 
Hold on all may not be lost - I did this to a seagate drive I was about to sell, boot up gparted and though ooo secure interal erase, that will be good - bam dead drive :(

Using a combination of HDAT2 and MHDD I managed to set the bit that was temporarily stopping the drive from being recognised - it was fun but it unbricked my drive.

The page that started me on the road to recovery is (nothing here was necessary for my drive but did give it a go and listed for your reference only) http://elettrofreak.blogspot.com/2011/02/estrarre-le-password-ata-da-un-hard.html

My solution came from using HDAT2 from http://www.hdat2.com/, get drive recognised and select it, then select the security menu - it should now list the status of the drive, all i had to do if i recall was to select on of the unlock options, cannot remember which but it done it.

In order to do any of the above you will need a pretty standard system, eg SATA ports that can be detected under DOS as all the above takes place in DOS as the utils talk directly to the ide/sata controller bypassing the bios & os.
 
Last edited:
I used the program HDAT2.EXE and reset all 4 drives. They work like they should now. Just to be safe I am running a surface test on them to be sure there are no bad blocks.

Here are the commands I used from the DOS Prompt:

hdat2 /w - {select the drive} - Commands Menu - SATA Commands - Reset SATA Log 11h - Yes

The /W switch is to allow the drive time to spin up before the program tried to detect it.

Thanks a million darlyb
 
Glad to be of help, both of those utils are very powerful and very useful, i have them on a bootable flash drive for future ref.
 
This same trick works great for when a raid controller locks the drive, like older 3ware controllers.
 
I used the program HDAT2.EXE and reset all 4 drives. They work like they should now. Just to be safe I am running a surface test on them to be sure there are no bad blocks.

Here are the commands I used from the DOS Prompt:

hdat2 /w - {select the drive} - Commands Menu - SATA Commands - Reset SATA Log 11h - Yes

The /W switch is to allow the drive time to spin up before the program tried to detect it.

Google for the program HDAT2.EXE and use the commands above.

The drive must be connected to an SATA port on your motherboard. The program must be run in a pure DOS environment (not a Windows Box).
 
Hello,

I tried the program today and it couldnt unlock my both Hitachis 2.5

I followed the instruction given here, but no luck.

The hard drives are password locked. and they are still locked.
 
I only replied with what worked for me, I am in no way an expert.

Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.
 
Back
Top