Hitachi 1TB HDD - $200

Got one with 12% reward zone coupon. Took the drive out and it is indeed a SATA drive. You can even tell from looking through the vent holes if you wish to make sure before opening anything up. It's the 7K1000 drive. Manf date July 2007 and warranty until 2/21/2009. Thats a 20 month warranty with 15 months remaining. Not sure why they chose that number and not a solid 2 years. Still a great price. And for those complaining about formatting time, just do it overnight when you goto bed. Not too complicated or anything to fuss about.

just do a quick format... the only thing the normal format does is check for bad sectors and tries to repair them i think. On a brand new drive a quick format is all that's needed.

Actually just because it's new does not mean it's perfect. I always run my drives through a full format, HD Tach and then HDTune doing the error scan as well. To date I've found 8 drives bad out of the box, and that's both shipped to me and store bought all during sales like these. And none of the errors were anywhere near the first 100 gigs or so of data.

Cleared out my best buy of 3 of them. 10% coupon worked as well.

Go about this the normal way, get drive and switch with system HDD. Putting a 400GB into the enclosure and the 1TB into my system.

Sounds like a good deal for this drive.

1) Can some do a HDTach Test on this drive, and let us know the performace?

I am guessing it should be about 35Mb/sec via the USB cord. Thought I would verify, as this is what the WD Premium Edition 500Gig Drive does.

I prefer buying the WD Premium Edition at my local Costco, because it is Warranted forever, as they always take stuff back. Best Buy is a complete Pain in the Ass to return a defective drive, as their management sucks and the Blue Shirt Team are Tards.

ugh....closest best buy that has this in stock is about 40miles from me. Not worth the drive IMO. Oh well, would of been nice. I need to save money anyways.

Hopefully another deal like this will pop up.

The new best buy in Tustin/Irvine ("The District") had 3 left as of when I picked one up at lunch. On the register it did come up as "PATA" but I have not had a chance to look at the drive yet. (here's hoping for SATA!)

It's SATA for sure. and also, someone should try the CC $40 off $199, i heaerd BB price matches, i totally forgot about this deal. I'll find the .pdf when I get home.

my local BB had two left when I was there 2 hours ago... 180+tax is quite a deal.

just got off the phone with my BB, 2 left, I am outta here, back later with 2 HDD's

:D

Thanks OP! I picked up one with an expired 12% for reward zone customers coupon I found online. Opened it up, July 2007 Manuf date, in warranty until Feb 2009. Putting my old 250GB in the enclosure.

Will BB PM the coupon if I didn't use it when I bought one?

I got the last one at my local BB but didnt have the coupon on me.

the Best Buy in Greenwood, Indiana has 4 or 5 of the drives left according to the person who bought me one for my birthday:cool:...

you can go to this link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17006&type=page&sourceId=1169512781854&sourceType=product&skuId=8355497&productId=1177112455081&itemId=999714 if you wanna check to see if it's in stock in a store near you...not sure if i'd go based solely on this, though...

she didn't say if the 10% coupon worked or not, but i don't see why it wouldn't...i read the fine print...

now to update my sig:D...

Just bought out the store in Colorado Springs. Doubled my storage from 3TB to 6TB. Woo!

Got the last one off the shelf in Elk Grove, CA for $179.99 with the 10% off coupon.

Long story for me.... Saw this deal, called up nearest best buy... they didn't have it, he said another best buy has it which was about 8 miles from where I lived. All I have is my bike right now, I hopped on my bike, went on the road trip 8 miles to that best buy and the guy said "ya, we have two left right over there...." He looks and sees them gone. He checks on the shelf and realizes that some guy just picked them up a few MINUTES ago. I'm like ****. He tells me of another best buy about 5 miles away, and I'm like, sigh ok.

I go to customer service to have them print me a map to the next nearest best buy, and the other guy comes back with the Hitachi hard drive in his hand, saying the guy must have left it or something. Heck ya. After biking 8 miles to get this thing, they better have one in stock for me lol. Then I began my trip back home, and that's it!

And, how can I tell if I got a SATA drive? It has the DC adapter connection and a USB connection in the back of the hard drive.

also, where can I find the date this was made, or when the warranty expires?

Just bought out the store in Colorado Springs. Doubled my storage from 3TB to 6TB. Woo!

Ya, well I more than Quadrupled!!! ... from 320 gb to 1 terrabyte + 320 GB.

For the umptenth time it IS SATA!!! You can verify by looking through the vent holes. You can even see your s/n number through the other vent holes, it'll start with PA******. So yes, it is SATA. The drive model is is 7K1000, HDS721010KLA330.

Ok, I'm confused.... Are we ONLY supposed to buy this 1tb external hard drive if we plan on taking out the drives and making them internal? Why do I hear so many bad reviews on this external hard drive. They can't sell a bad or defective product, so should I keep this thing or return it?

Long story for me.... Saw this deal, called up nearest best buy... they didn't have it, he said another best buy has it which was about 8 miles from where I lived. All I have is my bike right now, I hopped on my bike, went on the road trip 8 miles to that best buy and the guy said "ya, we have two left right over there...." He looks and sees them gone. He checks on the shelf and realizes that some guy just picked them up a few MINUTES ago. I'm like ****. He tells me of another best buy about 5 miles away, and I'm like, sigh ok.

I go to customer service to have them print me a map to the next nearest best buy, and the other guy comes back with the Hitachi hard drive in his hand, saying the guy must have left it or something. Heck ya. After biking 8 miles to get this thing, they better have one in stock for me lol. Then I began my trip back home, and that's it!

And, how can I tell if I got a SATA drive? It has the DC adapter connection and a USB connection in the back of the hard drive.

also, where can I find the date this was made, or when the warranty expires?

Ya, well I more than Quadrupled!!! ... from 320 gb to 1 terrabyte + 320 GB.

Wow...you almost got hosed.
I quadrupled mine too, 1tb (2x500gb) to 4tb.

Ok, I'm confused.... Are we ONLY supposed to buy this 1tb external hard drive if we plan on taking out the drives and making them internal? Why do I hear so many bad reviews on this external hard drive. They can't sell a bad or defective product, so should I keep this thing or return it?

it is YOUR hard drive, do what you want with it. Test it out and see if it works for you. If it doesn't then return it or use the internal drive itself b/c most of the problem stems from the external enclosure chip. And really, companies don't release bad or defective products?

Nope, they don't.

Maybe if you try being nice to them, they won't give you a bad product.

how old are you? the world is not full of rainbows and unicorns like your mommy said. it might be hard to swallow at this moment, but it's true.

I got this drive for $160 by Price-Matching the CC $40 off $200 coupon. I believe $160 beats the 12% rewards + the 10% coupon floating around. SO, for those of you who bought this drive already, if you have the time and the gas to go back to BB, go to Customer Service, show them this coupon [http://pulverizer72.com/scans/cc_coupon_1130.pdf], and get $20 or whatever difference it is of $40. This Should Not be a YMMV, since BB policy allows it, in a way supposed to allow it. However, hearing some unfortunate experience by other users, it may highly depend on the store's manager. Good Luck to all! :D And thanks OP! (I usually keep up with BB ads, and I never thought I'd would own or be able to afford a 1tb drive, well this soon at least, I hope)

Expires: 11/30/2007

Nice. But SOLD OUT.
Some stores still carry them, you'll find better luck in the more rural areas, not as close to the urban and suburban cities. For example, there's 5 more (according from today) in a small town in farmland away from the urban/suburban cities near my location, every other store in my area are definitely sold out.

Will BB PM the coupon if I didn't use it when I bought one? I got the last one at my local BB but didnt have the coupon on me.

Yes, simply go back to BB and go straight to their Customer Service area. You don't need the physical product in box with you, just go with your receipt and that coupon print-out [http://pulverizer72.com/scans/cc_coupon_1130.pdf]. Ask for a Price-match, they should take care of it. From my experience, the person didn't even really look at it, since it was technically in the system already, she just had to approve it with the manager. I thought she'd put it back in the card but she just gave me the difference of roughly $24 in cash. I originally used the 10% coupon. One thing I don't understand, which is not necessarily a bad thing, the receipt brought the final cost down to $157.99 (?) Which is weird, but that's cool. Maybe there's even a bigger price drop having that 10$ coupon to throw-things off? oh wells.

No, but it is suggested to, since there's has been numerous accounts of this product being faulty according to reviewers, fortunately, the drive seems to be fine w/o the enclosure. I'm not a fan of the enclosure anyway, but you should keep it handy for your warranty purposes. I've read there are ways to take it out w/o voiding the warranty supposedly. My say is, keep it. You won't be able to find an External 1 Terabyte hard drive for $160 or even $180, or $190 in awhile. (Even a $160 750gb Drive is a hot deal.) Possibly this Black Friday at CC with the coupon deal i'm about to ask for below this response! :O

The only down side I see is the length of the warranty, I'm getting mixed answers though, is it 2009 or 2008?

Here is some more straight from pricewatch!
http://www.memorylabs.net/10gb172rpmex.html
http://www.eaglebit.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=EB-250-00240&Click=14

These both have free shipping not as sweet as 200 flat but they have these in stock!

These externals are dual 500gb drives in a RAID so should not be compared with pricing on a single 1 tb drive. There are a few great 1 tb drive deals around, like the one at Fry's you can Price-Match at other stores with [http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1237252]

There are also great deals on 500gb drives as well.

Black friday circuitcity is gonna have those 1tb drives for $200.

Link? Hopefully that Circuit City coupon would be allowed.

Yes, simply go back to BB and go straight to their Customer Service area. You don't need the physical product in box with you, just go with your receipt and that coupon print-out [http://pulverizer72.com/scans/cc_coupon_1130.pdf]. Ask for a Price-match, they should take care of it. From my experience, the person didn't even really look at it, since it was technically in the system already, she just had to approve it with the manager.
Hrm. I bought three at once, and didn't use a coupon at all. If I were to ask them to pricematch the coupon, they'd only give back $40, not $120, right?

I think it's been said that it's mostly because of the enclosure and not the drive itself.

I wonder on how the enclosure will impact the performance? Heat sensor that slows the dirve down? You got me, as I was going to buy one of these, and NOW I see lackluster results from peoples reviews.

Someone, post the HDTach readings on this drive!!!

I got this drive for $160 by Price-Matching the CC $40 off $200 coupon.

Just took the last two units from the Best Buy in the Landmark Center in Boston. I used the 10% off coupon, but they wouldn't honor the Circuit City price match. Was I being lied to?

Regardless, I'm going to take the receipt and coupon to the Best Buy in NJ and see if they'll honor it there.

I got my two drives for $377.98, which is less than 19 cents per gig. Best storage deal out there.

I really hope these are SATA when I open them up, that receipt is scaring me with its talk of PATA :\

Back