Hit an artist's block (56k = long wait)

EGGO

Gawd
vector_raster.jpg

I'm trying to think of what else this picture needs. It just feels as if there's not much depth to this thing. I need to find another media to spray paint on in the garage so I can make another "drip" to the yellow "spoke" and possibly make that bigger, but other than that, I'm out of ideas.

In other words: Criticism wanted

Note the subtleties, I had to bring them down because in print, I'd have to really make it opaque for it to be even subtle with my Canon i9900.

I like it alot... I dont really have any criticism for you though. I would say it doesnt really need anything else... :D

Thanks, that means a lot. The word "Imagination" was originally my new design name, "Origamut" but I think that by using "imagination" it will become more identifiable and make it art rather than an advertisement.

Very unique and creative wallpaper... I've always wondered how to make those paint splats, how the hell do you make those in PS?

Personally, I'd drop the text "Imagination" all together. I don't think its really needed and it kinda takes away from the composition.

xerus` said:
Personally, I'd drop the text "Imagination" all together. I don't think its really needed and it kinda takes away from the composition.

In a way I agree with you.
I think when looking at the word imagination that the picture is supose to inspire your imagination or something, rather then it being his "artist name"... does that make sense?

Tengis said:
In a way I agree with you.
I think when looking at the word imagination that the picture is supose to inspire your imagination or something, rather then it being his "artist name"... does that make sense?

The concept was to convey the colorful life that comes from the mind in a dull monochromatic environment. I was also wary with the imagination thing, but it was somewhat pointing towards the mind, making the eye move from that to the girl to the colors. Then again, coming from a Japanese society, I realize that it may be a bit backwards to how Americans normally read.

The "Imagination" was to be symbolizing of something like the "light bulb" of an idea. I'm sure if you put my design company's name on it, you'll see where I was trying to go for origionally.

Luxor said:
Very unique and creative wallpaper... I've always wondered how to make those paint splats, how the hell do you make those in PS?

Here's 2 ways you can do it. What I did is actually go in my garage and take thick paper and splattered/spray painted on it with black paint. You can either take a picture of it (which is suggested if your scanner is small) or use your scanner.

Here's where you have your choice to do whatever you want.
1) Copy the spilling paint with your pen tool. If done correctly, it will be resizeable
2) I brought the contrast/brightness up to really bring out the black, then I went to Select > Color Range and selected the black with a fuzziness of 200. Making a new layer, I can color it whatever way I want the ink to be. Mind you, it will be a raster image so making it bigger isn't reccomended.

There, I gave away my secret, but that's what's great about being a designer. When it begins to be overdone, we're forced to use our creativeness to make something new and fresh. =0)

EGGO said:
I'm trying to think of what else this picture needs.

to be resized so it fits on one 21" screen? :p
I mean not everyone has the zoom extention for firefox or dual screens

vector_raster.jpg

cleaned up the chin a bit
and broke up the streak across the face

:p

Thanks, I never saw that it needed to be cleaned up until you did it.

whenever I get stuck I start fiddling around with the curves and levels
sometimes I see things I like and work em in ;)

what if u changed the location of the word 'imagination'. maybe even coming out of the girl's head straight to the left instead of on an angle. that might give it a little mor contrast with the already angled colors ro the left. dont really know how it will work, but ya never know.

yes I agree with the above posts as to this being a nice peice, My critique would be to use a different word other than imagination, try a deep thesaurus, find a fresh eclectic word that hasnt been tossed around so much, make your mark with it.

My suggestion would be to have the colors break out of the frame to suggest that the creativity and imagination can't really be contained once they have been released and to reinforce the spreading of the colors.

meatycheesyboy said:
My suggestion would be to have the colors break out of the frame to suggest that the creativity and imagination can't really be contained once they have been released and to reinforce the spreading of the colors.

Hey I like that!

Is it just me or does the image have that "Adult Swim" theme that I see on CN? Awesome pic.

if the word imagination was being blown out of the bubble wand....

I did a poster like that

Blues.jpg

vanity disclaimer: :p scan quality sucks (as do the colors) I nabbed it out of an annual it was in
it was a large silkscreen poster w\ metallic gold, split fountain colors, the background is actually a blue violet

of course that might be too predictable

Ice Czar, I saved that picture for future inspiration. =0)

Here's what it looks like with the spokes going out of the borders. I like it more.

Vector_raster.jpg

as a far of minimalist design, perhaps you're not missing anything and thats why you've stopped?
I think if you added anything it would be obviously "tacked" on there... i say leave it, save it, display it.

excellent work.

You really opened up the image by letting those colors go past the borders... looks a lot better now.

really great piece, i like how its nto too cluttered with actual full on distractions, but rather has its point and conveys it, while still not making wasted space of the area above and behind the womans head ( i like the subtle shades and sumbols you cna pick out behind the brown. also i for some reason REALLY love that fade on the bottom "spoke". form yellow to orange... its a very pleasing combination and the fade is very smooth. I DIG!

one thing i DONT like, though, is how the vertical lines that are visible to the left of the piece extend into the border int he top spoke. i think they should end where the border ends for some reason, its just unsettlign how they continue on inthe spoke but not right next to it where its just brown. (you get what im saying?) though i do liek those lines, they add some texture as you move left, and i liek how they are defined bya denser color rather than any sort of real line.

Nat

Back