Historic Church (Oldest Standing Lutheran Church in Idaho)

Tim_axe

Gawd
From a plaque nailed to the structure:

Cordelia Lutheran Church
Erected 1883

Oldest standing Lutheran Chapel in the State of Idaho. Standing on the original homestead ground donated by Mr. and Mrs. Andrew S. Olson. Where the Cemetery stands one acre was purchased from Mr. and Mrs. Olson for -25.00. Chapel restored by Frances Olson Graham, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew S. Olson May 1948 in Memory of her parents.

1) The Oldest Standing Lutheran Church In Idaho
photos_church_05047450.jpg

2) As of August 8, 1995, Cordelia Lutheran Church is on the National Registar of Historic Places
photos_church_05047444.jpg

3) Tombstone of John P. Larson.
photos_church_05047496.jpg

4) Tombstone of Henry Rokke (& Wife?)
photos_church_05047498.jpg

5) "140 Feet North Stood Cordelia Lutheran Church. Congregration Organized By Peter Carlson Nov. 14, 1880" - (Laid 1938)
photos_church_05047516.jpg

6) From the gravel parking lot...
photos_church_05047517.jpg

7) Perhaps a wallpaper to remember this by? Flowers from the trees next to the church. Click for 1024x768 version.

Very nice shots and narrative. A relative newcomer as far as churches go, but it is a wonderl that it is a one-room, frontier wood church that is still standing.

Nice work, Tim_axe. I particularly like #4: just the right contrast between foreground and background, great colors, love the line of the horizon!

HPK, I had a few like #4 & #3. I didn't like the tombstone piercing into the blue sky, so I posted the one where it is held in the green. I did some play with near/far size distortion, although mainly that was for #3.

Here is #3 shot at 33mm instead of 55mm:
photos_church_05047491.jpg

#3 (shot at 55mm) for comparison (and less scrolling):
photos_church_05047496.jpg

I went with the 55mm picture because the composition got rid of the telephone pole & wires :D

I also posted this at FM, and they've recommended I not crop to 8x10...it makes the images unnaturally tight. So here are a few from earlier that are not cropped, and are (of course) in the default 3:2 aspect ratio.

#1 uncropped:
photos_church_05047450_2.jpg

#2 uncropped:
photos_church_05047444_2.jpg

#6 uncropped:
photos_church_05047517_2.jpg

Here you can see a little bit more of the area behind the church. Shed, powerline, trash can, etc. It's a photo similar to #5, uncropped and shot wider in landscape orientation.
photos_church_05047515_2.jpg

Cheers, and thanks for looking. If you have questions, suggestions, etc., I'd love to hear them. I spent about an hour here covering a lot of different angles, so if you want to see something taken from a slightly different perspective, I might have it somewhere.

Great shots, I like what you were doing with them. Nice use to incorporate more than just the church in your images like the picture directly above. Suggestions? That’s a tough one. I would have to say you did a good job of keeping unwanted objects out such as the power lines. But with a little body movement you could have avoided it. Also I dunno if I'm missing it but applying the rule of thirds might come in handy when you have things like this church, trees, and hills all together. You concentrated on the subjects being dead center, maybe playing around with that would yield more varied results? Sorry to be a critic, but you asked. :p

Anyways they are very good, and a nice unique subject.

very nice composition on #6 (cropped version), though i'm thinking a bit more contrast/saturation or even a duotone would make it even better.

I really like #2, good colors, nice composition, thats a keeper. Whats that blue thing on the right? Maybe you could crop it out,...

doh - I remember your church pictures from a topic that had something to do with noise reduction.

I'm barely getting into a wide-angle feel of things, but it's amazing how much difference in the backgrounds a telephoto lens vs. wide-angle lens makes. I've read about it before, but doing it adds new dimension to distance. I'm starting to see what I'm missing out on by almost exclusively using my 85mm f/1.8...

maw said:
very nice composition on #6 (cropped version), though i'm thinking a bit more contrast/saturation or even a duotone would make it even better.

I suck at duotone / sepia tone / etc. Not completely sure how to do it, and when I followed some instructions and got it printed it looked horrible :(

That said, I did some more work to change the colors a little... I merged two different RAW conversions with "soft lighting" in PS here. Though I have a feeling I definately took the colors a bit too far...

#6 reprocessed:
photos_church_05047517_3.jpg

I'll also show off the "default" conversion. I didn't have much contrast to begin with probably from the direct and hard lighting, time of day, or something to do with the weather.

#6 default raw conversion:
photos_church_05047517_4.jpg

I had to play a lot to change the colors, and to be honest I'm not really happy with the colors I've produced (in the other photos). The greens I'm getting just seem odd to be around the tombstones ( life vs death ) and I'm considering returning during the other seasons to see if the different colors (and snow) produce anything that "looks" more comfortable.

nullvector said:
I really like #2, good colors, nice composition, thats a keeper. Whats that blue thing on the right? Maybe you could crop it out,...

The blue thing was an upside down trash can with a large rock on it. I don't remember going to look at it though, as I did my best to avoid it and the powerlines where possible. I probably should have given it a closer look because from the pictures it is in it looks like one funky thing to have laying around.

I'll clone the trash-can thing out if I decide to print anything from this series. Though since the 8x10 crop doesn't seem like a good choice with how square it is, I'll have to stick to 4x6 prints since 8x12 isn't a common size around here...

BTW, #2 was taken with my circular polarizer. It did wonders to pull the clouds out of the sky.

But, being a very cheap UV filter, it also did amazingly bad things to the overall sharpness of the image. Imagine taking a reasonably sharp photo into photoshop, and doing a 1 pixel gaussian blur to the entire image. I need to save up some $$$ for a good multi-coated UV filter. :(

Emberghost said:
Did you use a flash on that first one?

Yes, and in the second photo. You can see it on the rock in the bottom right corner.

I'm still a novice that was using a new camera, but I recognised the error of my ways immediately. But I was in a rush (it was VERY windy and VERY cold) and couldn't take another pic on this trip. Next time I'll do it right!

Coincidentally the chuch I photographed was a pagan church but Norway's official religion became Lutheranism in the 1500s.

Yup, just outside of Moscow, ID. Probably 3-5 miles out of town. There really isn't a whole lot out here that's big...which is a large change from where I came from in Japan where there were buildings and other large things being built all over.

I might also show off my large panorama of Moscow, ID before long :D

Edit: I also just got the paper today. Apparently just over the border in Washington another Lutheran church celebrated their 50 year anniversary. I'm not really big in religion, but it seems like an interesting concidence that I took these pictures so close to the 50 year anniversary of another related church. :p

Back