Hissing noise 5850

sc3252

Gawd
I got the card this week and really didn't notice the hissing it makes until recently when I ran Humus new Volume decals demo. It doesnt make to much hissing in the two other games I have played, but I am worried it will get as bad as the volume decals demo. Whats really odd is when I run stressful games like stalker it doesnt make the noise(unless in menu) but the volume decals demo makes all types of hissing and even changes tone when I look from the floor to the ceiling(is there a reason for that?).

Only question I have is it worth sending it back to newegg and hoping to get another that doesn't hiss? Main reason I am asking this on the forum is to see if any others are having this issue and if lots are if its worth sending back if the majority have this issue.

here is the link to demos
http://www.humus.name/index.php?page=3D

The card is an XFX.

Thanks for any help on the matter.

Mine does that but only if it's pushing gawdy FPS in old games - I'm talking like 300-400 fps in Oblivion, for instance. My solution? Add filtering until the FPS isn't so high :p

It is annoying, but I've seen this on other video cards and PSUs and never had any issues because of it, and it's not like Corsair TX650 is a cheapo PSU, so I'm really not concerned.

Mine does that but only if it's pushing gawdy FPS in old games - I'm talking like 300-400 fps in Oblivion, for instance. My solution? Add filtering until the FPS isn't so high :p

It is annoying, but I've seen this on other video cards and PSUs and never had any issues because of it, and it's not like Corsair TX650 is a cheapo PSU, so I'm really not concerned.
This definitely seems to be the case. The higher the FPS the more noise it makes, is there any way to limit the fps to 100? Also that seems kinda odd that the higher the fps the more noise it makes, does anyone know why?

Only question I have is it worth sending it back to newegg and hoping to get another that doesn't hiss? Main reason I am asking this on the forum is to see if any others are having this issue and if lots are if its worth sending back if the majority have this issue..
I'd say send it back to Newegg as a very last resort, unless you want to potentially be weeks away from seeing a 5850 again. It's been over a week now since Newegg put the XFX 5850s up for sale, and as far as I know, they've yet to stock any more. Pretty much every brand has gotten some in it seems except XFX :/

Maybe they'd let you switch your XFX for another brand though if you made the case for needing it sooner.

Strange, any ideas on the technical reason for this?

I've had a kind of a hiss/wine sound when doing Folding@home on graphics cards, including the original 8800GTS, 8800GT. I can even hear my 5850 slightly hiss while folding as well, not as pronounced as my previous cards.

Back