• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HIS Radeon 6850 Owners, Help Needed

dankwijoti

n00b
Joined
Jan 14, 2013
Messages
3
Hello folks,
If any of you happen to have an HIS Radeon 6850, please take a moment to help me out.
I recently found that a resistor on my card has fallen off. Though it is under warranty, the RMA contractor views this as physical damage (despite it being an obvious defect) and will not honor my warranty. The resistor is marked C821 and is identified in image linked here. I can't find the resistor, so I am unable to reattach it. If anyone has a good digital multimeter and would be kind enough to measure the value of this resistor on their card I may be able to find a replacement resistor and repair this card.
Thanks a million to anyone who can help me out!
 
Last edited:
That is a capacitor not a resistor.

Capacitors are labeled Cxxx on boards and resistors are labeled Rxxx. The color is also a givaway. Capacitors are going to be the light tan color like that, and resistors will be black.

That being said, as long as you can grab a surface mount capacitor that is the correct size to fit where that one fell off, it will work just fine.
 
Beautiful! So if I take this to a repair shop the should be able to determine the correct capacitor just by the spacing of the pads then? Well that makes things easy. Thanks so much!
 
Beautiful! So if I take this to a repair shop the should be able to determine the correct capacitor just by the spacing of the pads then? Well that makes things easy. Thanks so much!

Yep, pretty much.

If you can find a repair shop that is willing to touch surface mount components, it should cost maybe $5 to get a new one put on since it takes like 15 seconds once the soldering iron is heated up. Then again, they probably want a minimum labor charge and also to be able to mark up the part at least a few hundered percent.

As for capacitors in general, if one goes bad, I generally replace it with something that is rated higher than the one that failed. Never had a replaced one die on me yet.
 
What were your symptoms of the video card failing? My Gigabyte 6850 would be in the middle of a game and the screen would blank out on me. I could still hear my friends on mumble and the game sounds playing, but no screen. Then I would have my whole system crash. Put in another video card (NVidia 280) and no problems since. So I RMA'd my card and hopefully I can get a replacement. If you do have some skill with a soldering iron, that might be a cheaper fix.
 
Back
Top