HIPER PSU questions

  • Thread starter Deleted member 140066
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 140066

Guest
I'm looking at the black 580 watt HIPER Type R for my first PC build. I saw it recommended in one of the threads here, and it looks pretty cool, too.
http://www.hipergroup.com/English/products/hpu-4k580.html
However, one thing I was wondering was, why don't they have active PFC on the US models? That's not cool. I figure, the more efficient my PSU is, the less heat it will put out, and that's a good thing. I looked for the efficiency percentage on that page, and it doesn't show it.

I checked the pictures of this thing, and noticed the intake fan on the top. I then checked the pictures of the Antec P180 case that I wanted, and it looks like I lucked out, since the PSU is mounted on the bottom. I'm just wondering, though, what about those who have a case that mounts the PSU on the top?

Also, there's a PSU listed on their products page that has an interesting little marketing blurb...
Type-R With Omnigrid II™
HPU-4X730 series - is the flagship HIPER™ PSU for 1st half of 2006, it is enclosed with our PATENTED MESH & Industry’s 1st Stainless Steel PSU Body. Compared to the Type R 580 series, HPU-4x730 utilizes all new Omnigrid II™ that enables one-step lock/release mechanism. It’s specially designed for BTX chassis. It also features four independent 12V rails. In terms of connectivity, HPU-4x730 comes with 2 dedicated PCI-E straight from the 12V rails, and 2 additional Molex/PCI-E exTender™, designed to support NVIDIA’s new technology - Quad-SLi , which providing much more stabilized 3D hard- gaming. HPU-4x730 also provides P4 and P8 con- nector for users with motherboard that requires P8 connection, and with 5 modules of Molex output thus by using appropriate exTender™ it enables user to connect up to 20 devices..
http://www.hipergroup.com/English/products/power.html
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this up-and-coming one.

I trust that you all know about the capacitors and the rails & voltages and such... It is decent in that respect, I take it?
 
CryptoQuick said:
I'm looking at the black 580 watt HIPER Type R for my first PC build. I saw it recommended in one of the threads here, and it looks pretty cool, too.
http://www.hipergroup.com/English/products/hpu-4k580.html
However, one thing I was wondering was, why don't they have active PFC on the US models? That's not cool. I figure, the more efficient my PSU is, the less heat it will put out, and that's a good thing. I looked for the efficiency percentage on that page, and it doesn't show it.

If you want a more efficient PSU, why do you want active PFC?

The reason the Hiper doesn't have active PFC in the US is because it's so inefficient with 115V input, that little 500W power supply would only do 420W (yes... I said 500W) If it could only do 420W, the would NEVER get away with calling it a 580W.

In the EU, they use 230V and APFC is mandatory. So they make the PSU 230V only, which is fine because the amperage going through the APFC circuit is cut in half and the heat generated is negligible.
 
jonnyGURU said:
If you want a more efficient PSU, why do you want active PFC?

The reason the Hiper doesn't have active PFC in the US is because it's so inefficient with 115V input, that little 500W power supply would only do 420W (yes... I said 500W) If it could only do 420W, the would NEVER get away with calling it a 580W.

In the EU, they use 230V and APFC is mandatory. So they make the PSU 230V only, which is fine because the amperage going through the APFC circuit is cut in half and the heat generated is negligible.

Hrm... I found this thread:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1043718&highlight=active+pfc
They didn't mention anything about it being inefficient; in fact, they said that it is more efficient. --edit-- Now that I put more thought into it, what you're saying is that it wouldn't be a good idea to put APFC in a 115V PSU, though, I'm still unsure as to why you say that it is inefficient. From the things I've seen about the technology, it can make a PSU's efficiency go up to 95%. --/edit--

Also, while searching this forum for information on APFC, I found this review of the aforementioned PSU:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1050620
This one looks to be a winner.
 
Man, I can't help but feel that I have opened up another can of worms on this one.

After reading this ( http://www.dansdata.com/gz028.htm ) and most of the your stuff in that thread for this PSU, jonnyGURU, I've found that PFC isn't really one of those things that is really necessary. However, I've also found that there's more to PSU's than just the wattage; as I've said, I was concerned about the quality of the capacitors and the voltage distribution over the rails, but... Now I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed.

Two questions, now:

1. What should I consider to be one of the best modular PSUs with SLI and SATA connectors? I'm trying to go for longevity and the capability for expansion and upgrades.

2. How do UPS's handle PFC? What UPS should I get to go with my PSU?
 
Even Passive PFC gives you better PF than no PFC.
 
Back
Top