• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

highest 8800GT overclock?

sirmonkey1985

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010
Joined
Sep 13, 2008
Messages
22,412
just wondering what anyones highest stable overclock on their 8800GT has been...

so far ive hit 790/1850/1000 with a duorb cooler and heatsinks w/ a EVGA 8800GT stable for over an hour..

its stable at 800/1850/1000 for about 20 minutes playing quake wars but then eventually locks up.. I ran it on furmark to check stability but it eventually locks up after 10 minutes without any artifacts..

idle it sits at 40C full load at 800/1850/1000 62C.. other temps: PCB temp shows 33C idle 45.5C full load. case temps 26C

just trying to find where im being limited at since its obviously not temp or if im already above the norm for air cooled overclocking on the 8800GT.. im also running the 1.1v bios mod..
 
The limit is Vgpu and temp.
If you get it even cooler, you should be able to get a little higher.
You are definitely being held back by the Cores voltage but really you need better cooling before going nutso on the Core voltage
 
Not to mention the power FETs which get alot hotter when you overvolt.

My 8800GT will do 900mhz+ with enough 'encouragement' (1.5v roughly) but the problem is that the more vcore you put in, the less the memory can be oveclocked.

1.4v seems to be the sweet spot between giving the core enough voltage to get good speeds, and not taking too much power away from the memory to ensure you can still clock that high as well.

But yeah, if you're gunna get to this level of voltage you need to watercool with a full cover waterblock really.



*note, I take my voltage readings under load, not idle.
 
Agreed, the FETs need cooling if there isnt decent airflow around them.

If watercooling is out of the question, the Accelero S1 is almost as good!
I ran my 8800GT voltmodded for a while at 1.25V VGPU but damaged the pad I soldered to so had to resort to a BIOS vmod.
Temps with the S1 were below 60C no matter what I did.
With 1.1V, GPU temp never goes above 50C load.
 
With the 1.1v BIOS mod I can do 738/1782/1036. I thought that was pretty good but you've got me curious if I can squeeze some more out of her. From what I've read you have a very nice OC already.

(sorry for the tangent but I don't think this warrants a new thread)

Reading this thread I think I just realized how to get > 1.1v to my 8800gt. I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm before I mess up my 8800gt (already killed an 8600gt this week! :p). Since nbitor doesn't detect the vgpu of the BIOS when you open it, you just open a modded BIOS and then up the volts to 1.1 again, but this time it will really be at 1.15v. Continuing with that I can go as high as I want. Is that right?
 
As far as I am aware after much research, you cannot set a voltage higher than 1.1V using the BIOS on a standard 8800GT.

For the record, my card is the BFG 8800GT OC 512MB.
I am running at 770 /1945 clocks with the 1.1V BIOS mod (+ Accelero S1, 1x120mm silent fan)
I had 820Mhz stable with the hardware voltage mod @ 1.25V and temps were still good.
I was being cautious because I read that beyond 1.3V can increase gate wear on the silicon, this needs verifying.
So there may be a lot more potential.
 
Ah I see... I'm probably not going to mod my hardware. Thanks. If I need a push I'll get myself an S1 + fan.
 
Agreed, the FETs need cooling if there isnt decent airflow around them.

If watercooling is out of the question, the Accelero S1 is almost as good!
I ran my 8800GT voltmodded for a while at 1.25V VGPU but damaged the pad I soldered to so had to resort to a BIOS vmod.
Temps with the S1 were below 60C no matter what I did.
With 1.1V, GPU temp never goes above 50C load.

well the duorb cools the entire card just like the accelero s1 would do.. the cooler covers almost 3/4's of the card.. but i put heatsinks on almost everything i could possibly put heatsinks on.. i figured water cooling would be my last resort but it would have to be a single loop with just the card since the x2 6400+ sucks balls and is the biggest heat source in my entire computer even with a big typhoon VX on it.. but i figured 62C was pretty low due to the fact that on the stock cooling this card ran at 60 idle 80 full load..

in games my gpu never goes over 55C even right now running the gpu folding for the last 15 hours its still at 55C@790/1850/1000 with a case temp of 30C. only during the stability tests does it exceed 60C.

i havnt done a voltage reading just.. just know the bios are set to 1.1v which i know is working since before that i couldnt exceed 725/1750/1000.
 
Back
Top