Higher OC results in lower performance

Bumrush

Limp Gawd
Guys, been messing around a little with my K8V, I know the board is limited but something has me stumped. I have been running @ 210*11 for the longest time, everything I throw at this chip/vid card has played perfectly. However, tonight I decided to go to 215*11, without changing any other bios options like mem latency or anything other than bus speed. At 215 I can boot in to windows and run every benchmark and game. I did notice something very weird though. My aquamark score went way down from 68k to 61k and my 3dmark score went from 12,500 to 10,500. After going back to 210*11 the scores were back to normal. No other variable in windows was changed when the tests were run and the same results happened every time I changed back to 215? Could the lack of an AGP lock cause my GT to underperform or is the CPU unstable? I'm not going to bother with overclocking anymore, just wondering why.

TYIA

My guess would be that even tho you're upping the fsb, the memory is flipping to a fractional multiplier off of fsb when the fsb exceeds some threshold (say 205), which actually results in your mem running slower. I dont have any experience with k8's, the on-die mem controller, etc., so I could be way off base. Anyways, easiest way to tell, run wcpuid and make sure the memory is running at the fsb you set.

Does it pass Prime?

If it doesn't, then you will be losing performance due to instability.

dommer said:
My guess would be that even tho you're upping the fsb, the memory is flipping to a fractional multiplier off of fsb when the fsb exceeds some threshold (say 205), which actually results in your mem running slower. I dont have any experience with k8's, the on-die mem controller, etc., so I could be way off base. Anyways, easiest way to tell, run wcpuid and make sure the memory is running at the fsb you set.

It is. I checked with cpuz....

Talonz said:
Does it pass Prime?

If it doesn't, then you will be losing performance due to instability.

Haven't tried Prime though.
Won't bother the last thing I need is a reformat due to system corruption :D

Back