Higher FSB same CPU speed means what?

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
I went from 8x400 to 7x475... I realize the CPU speed is a little higher at 7x475. Im curious what the performance gains are when running the FSB high like that? I know it runs hte memory higher also but I can accomplish that wiht the memory settings I have available.

You get more memory bandwidth for the same processor clock speed. That can be seen as a plus, albeit not too noticeable, but is that where your chip tops out?

You get more memory bandwidth for the same processor clock speed. That can be seen as a plus, albeit not too noticeable, but is that where your chip tops out?

I can take my memory to 1000mhz when im at 8x400.... so whats the difference? Ive had the chip as high as 3.6ghz but not stable in Orthos with 1.55V in bios I did see voltage dip to 1.49V in windows during testing.

You get more memory bandwidth, that's about it. You can probably see higher benchmark results, but overall there really isn't anything too noticeable. Most people turn down the multiplier to test the board and the RAM, but beyond that, most of the time, it's just extra load on the memory controller.

ok, im trying 8x425 3.4gh now..3.5 even at 1.55V set in bios... less in windows was not stable.

To ease your mind: Raptors, FSB, HTT, memory frequencies, memory timings, extreme edition processors, hdd interface (sata/sataII), buffer size...and many others are normally not worth considering.

yes, I realize there are other bottlenecks but it doesnt stop ppl from pushing quadcores up to 4ghz now dose it? Im stable at 3.4ghz... good enough.

Back