High-value low-cost 1080p TV recommendations

poindexter

Weaksauce
I've learned a lot about PC monitors from this forum, but I'm clueless about TVs, so I'm hoping I can tap into the collective knowledge of [H] to help me find some TVs that satisfy some or all of the following criteria. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do a ton of research myself these days. Your time is much appreciated!

Max price: ~$500, but would go higher for the right fit
Diagonal size range: 42" to 55"
Resolution: 1080p or better. 4K is not a priority.

Use cases: primarily TV and movies, followed by non-competitive/casual console (PS4) gaming and internet browsing. May hook up a computer in the future. Viewing environment is fairly dim.

Must haves:
- fairly accurate colours possible through TV settings (no colorimeter/spectrophotometer)
- flicker/PWM free
- available in Canada

Nice to have (from most to least desired)
- low/no glow
- decent blacks & contrast
- reasonable response time and latency
- 4:4:4

Thanks!

Only Sony TVs are flicker free so your choise is very simple :D
But I dont know can you get for 500 some good Sony flicker free TV. I live in EU so no clue what prices are in Canada.

Thanks for the clue on Sony. The best info I could find on sony flicker free TVs was this post at avsforum

It looks like the Sony W700C or W800C may fit the bill, but are roughly $800 to $900 at the moment.

I've just learned that rtings.com is testing backlights on their TV reviews, under the Motion Blur section (see the backlight picture link). As far as I have seen, only the Sony TVs are PWM free. However, the Vizio sets and some of the Samsungs appear to use a more sophisticated form of PWM than I've seen on cheap monitors. The PWM moves in smaller steps and at fairly high frequency: example from Vizio E series.

If any PWM sensitive people with experience with this sort of PWM backlighting could chime in with their experiences, it would be much appreciated.

In Canada if you can dig up some 2014~early2015 models (now old stock) like the W700B or W800B or W950B (note the 'B' at the end) they're even better, as those have much lower lag than the current models ending in 'C'.

Models ending in 'B' (2014~2015) -> 14~20ms lag
Models ending in 'C' (2015~2016) -> 35ms lag

Back