High traffic killing network

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
When using multiple streaming for Netflix and / or online gaming my home network gets killed. I have to reboot my modem and router.

I have a fair idea that it is my router. It's a Dlink 4500 with original firmware (2007).

However my specific question is the following: Could it be my modem? I have a Docsis 3.0 modem. The SB6120 using Cox cable in Phoenix. I guess it "could" be the modem, but how likely is that?

whats your connection speed like? Do you live in a city with lots of dudes on your 'node' or do you live in the sticks?

whats your connection speed like? Do you live in a city with lots of dudes on your 'node' or do you live in the sticks?

I live in well populated area. My speed is excellent via speedtest.net, usually 25/5. Once I reset everything (unplug - replug) it us back to it's fantastic rate.

I don't know much about networking. But if I only reset one of the devices, it does not solve the issue. I have to reset both to regain a connection.

I know I have had issues with modem's overheating when using high bandwidth. I set up a 120mm fan blowing over and didn't have issues anymore. Just a possibility.

get a new modem from your provider. i usually do a trade in every 3-4 years or so

I bought the SB6120 from Amazon in the last year and it really really is awesome. I actually did mod a 120 mm fan to do just that! Not really necessary but I got to pull out the soldering iron on it.

Is there a way to differentiate between the router or modem causing a drop in the network? Is my assumption correct, that if by over taxing the modem and losing Internet access I would still have intranet access?

i would also watch that your ISP is not cutting you off due to high bandwidth use. I have never experienced it but I have heard of it before.

my area has saturated node, I called them number of times with complaint of really low speeds and they fixed it by giving me newer modem.

my area has saturated node, I called them number of times with complaint of really low speeds and they fixed it by giving me newer modem.

I do not believe Cox cable is throttling speed or cutting off service. I believe it is on my end.

The issue isn't with low speeds, the issue is no connection at all. Really really fast, then absolutely nothing. Reset and its really really fast. Happens about once every couple of weeks, not a real pressing issue, just want to locate the "weakest link."

First thing first, instead of rebooting both devices, I would try to just reboot the router first. If that doesn't fix it, go ahead and just reboot the modem next time. After rebooting the modem next time, if it doesn't let you back on the internet (DHCP issue,) and you feel up to it, log into the router, and do a dhcp renew on the wan port.

It's better to try to just reboot one at a time instead of hitting everything with one foul swoop.

Is there a way to differentiate between the router or modem causing a drop in the network? Is my assumption correct, that if by over taxing the modem and losing Internet access I would still have intranet access?
Yup. Or pinging your router's ip (default gateway for your pc) should work.

I live in well populated area. My speed is excellent via speedtest.net, usually 25/5. Once I reset everything (unplug - replug) it us back to it's fantastic rate.

I don't know much about networking. But if I only reset one of the devices, it does not solve the issue. I have to reset both to regain a connection.

Basically, what the other posters said.

1.) get a new modem from your ISP--if that doesn't solve the problem, then buy yourself a new router.

Gotcha, when it happens again, trouble shooting to begin (as opposed to simply reseting it).

Back