High temps with stock 2600k

Jaz709

n00b
Hi, I set up a 2600k late last night. Running everything stock @ 1.176V with a temp of 44C/71F using AS-5. My room temp is around 23-24C. The cpu fans are runing at 1327-1339rpm. All taken form within the UEFI.

Haven't tried any overclocking yet being I find the eufi a little daunting. As for idle temp I'm thinking I may have to add more TIM. I used the older method of putting a line the size of a grain of rice and spead it with a bank card. The mounting bracket was firmly tightened before applying the paste. Any thoughts?

That does seem a bit high. Unless, of course, you are using the stock heatsink.

What is your setup like? (Case - number of fans and their orientation, heatsink - fan setup, etc..)

Sorry, I was in a hurryg posting due to supper.

System specs:

Case: Thermaltak Mozart TX with 10 Skythe X-Flex 120'mm
MOBO: Asus Sabertooth P67
CPU: 2600K running stock
HSF: Noctua fans are setup with the middle fan as intake and the larger for exhaust
feeding into the Skythe 120mm as exhaust.
TIM: Arctic Silver 5
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 (7-8-7-24) 1.6V (stored stated as being 1.5V when placing the order)
PSU: Antec High Current Pro 1200w
SSD: X25M 2nd G 80
HDD: Will be adding WD 1002FAEX drive(s) shortly. (on hand)
Video: POS ENG220 till I replace it in the coming weeks. :(

Temp was 42C when I checked just before doing this second post. The motherboard temp is showing 22C. Temps were taken directly from the eufi. The room temp is around 22-24C at the moment.

As much as I hate to do it, I'm thinking the NH-D14 has to be reseated.

44C? If that's in a stress test you're fine.
If that's in the BIOS, you need an immediate reseat.

I get 42C with 1.445v in bios.

AS5 won't give 44C in bios at 1.176v. Even if its fresh application. He should be at 30C with that ambient temp and vcore, maybe even lower. I've used AS5 since 2005, so I know how it performs.

AS5 won't give 44C in bios at 1.176v. Even if its fresh application. He should be at 30C with that ambient temp and vcore, maybe even lower. I've used AS5 since 2005, so I know how it performs.

yes but we do not apply it the same do we?

Hey guys, I appreciate the coments.

When I used to AS I spread it using a plastic card. It's possible I may not have had enough AS during the install. When I removed the NH-D14 there was paste around the edges of the hs but nothing in the center. :eek:

I've remounted it using the NT-H1 and now my idle temp, no load at stock speed, is now showing a temp of 38C in eufi. That's a drop of 4-6C. Current room temp is around 24C.

With this setup I was expecting a NO load stock speed idle temp in the low 30's. From what I've read, the NT-H1 doesn't require any curing time whereas the AS-5 does. Any further thoughts?

Don't bother trying to use idle or BIOS temps to validate your cooling setup - too much variation. Run Prime95 or Linx and see what your load temps are. And BIOS temps are often higher than actual Windows idle temps as well.

Hey guys, I appreciate the coments.

When I used to AS I spread it using a plastic card. It's possible I may not have had enough AS during the install. When I removed the NH-D14 there was paste around the edges of the hs but nothing in the center. :eek:

I've remounted it using the NT-H1 and now my idle temp, no load at stock speed, is now showing a temp of 38C in eufi. That's a drop of 4-6C. Current room temp is around 24C.

With this setup I was expecting a NO load stock speed idle temp in the low 30's. From what I've read, the NT-H1 doesn't require any curing time whereas the AS-5 does. Any further thoughts?

The recommended application method now is to put a dot or line of thermal paste in the middle of the heatsink, and then attach it to the CPU. The clamping force will squeeze the paste out over the CPU. Using the credit card to spread it around is more likely to cause air bubbles.

yes but we do not apply it the same do we?

I use either one thin lines, two thin line, or an "X". Some people even use a cross...
I'm using my MX4 or CF III now.
There's no way AS5 will give 44C idle in BIOS at 1.176v with that heatsink. Even ceramique will be lower than that.

The difference between uncured AS5 and MX4 is NOT 14 C at idle (Bios=very light load).

Idle temps in the BIOS are normally higher than idle temps in Windows - either because the CPU is under a load in the BIOS, or because the power saving features are not active.

Mine idles at 25-35C in Windows (with the core temp split) and 45C in the BIOS, for example.

Looks like we can close this one. :)

Reset the h/s using NT-H11 that came with the cooler. Rather then spreading as I usuallly do I used the method of putting a dab in the center and fastening the cooler. Using Real Temp 3.60 my idle temps, no load, were 25,25, 27,28. During a 10 minute run of prime my temps never exceeded 59C. I let the system set idle after running the test for 10 minutes and letting it set idle to cool down my temps are now 25,25, 29,29. The later were originally at 27 each before testing and are now fluxuating by 1C.

Haven't tried any overclocking at this point but I'll probably do some tinkering with that later tonight.

Thank you for the help.

Last edited:
Back