high temps, low OC. E6300/ds3 Please advise

yallknowho

Weaksauce
I bought a E6300 and 965P-DS3 back in august and finally got around to trying to oc it.

now as far as cooling goes, the side of my case is open and im running a Zalman CNPS7000B-ALCU on the CPU and a HR-05 on the northbridge. Im also running bios version F11.

without overclocking (266 FSB, 1.8ghz) my idle temps were 40C and after 5 min of orthos 58C.

Now i'm running 1.35v on the cpu and 366 FSB at 2562mhz my memory is running only at 1.9v

my idle temps are 42C, 3 min of orthos had me at about 63C.

Whats going on?

earlier tonight I booted up at 400 FSB at about 1.35. It froze after a couple minutes in XP, under very little activity. I cranked the volts up to 1.375 and it would be more stable, but then I tried to run orthos and after like a minute im at 65C. The second time the system froze.

Back when I was testing my memory, i was running my corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 at 963mhz with no errors. at 972 the computer wouldn't even post.

a couple things I'm thinking: on the HR-05 the little stability pad might prevent good contact with the chip. When I installed it, it seemed to be pretty secure.

maybe I need to remove my HSFs and re grease them?

Can someone diagnose my situation and offer some advice?

Have a look at this thread for what is "normal".
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1191827

Give your memory the appropriate amount of voltage.
2.1 to 2.2 volts is a good starting point for DDR2 no matter what the manufacturer claims.

How can you be unhappy getting DDR2-963 speed out of Corsair DDR2-800 memory?
You're lucky to be doing that well with it, especially at 1.9 volts.

Are your timings somewhere around CL5-5-5-15 and have you added any voltage to the north and southbridge?
Most people need that for high FSB MHz.

geez 79C. thats *awfully* hot
For once, I have to agree! :eek:

The interesting thing is that the Core 2 Duo keeps running at full Orthos load at this temperature without complaining or throttling.

There's nothing wrong with your temperatures as long as you're stable and not throttling which doesn't happen until just over 80C.

Have a look at this thread for what is "normal".
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1191827

Give your memory the appropriate amount of voltage.
2.1 to 2.2 volts is a good starting point for DDR2 no matter what the manufacturer claims.

How can you be unhappy getting DDR2-963 speed out of Corsair DDR2-800 memory?
You're lucky to be doing that well with it, especially at 1.9 volts.

Are your timings somewhere around CL5-5-5-15 and have you added any voltage to the north and southbridge?
Most people need that for high FSB MHz.

the memory timings are at 5-5-5-12. I haven't added any volts to the NB.

When you use the AUTO setting for voltages like for the north and south bridge you'll never be sure what you're ending up with as you overclock. This is what sometimes causes these holes where you can't overclock at a certain MHz but you raise it up 10 MHz and all of a sudden things are fine again.

At a FSB of 400 MHz you are overclocking your northbridge by 50% so adding some more voltage makes sense. An extra +0.25 volts for both of them is usually a good place to start.

hmm ill try that out. I'm gonna take out my mobo and check if my HSF is installed properly.

well i got some artic silver 5 and re mounted my HSF and idle temps dropped 5C. looking good so far.

Back