High Temps - is my CPU ruined?

dremic

Supreme [H]ardness
I built a new computer for a buddy, with the new haswell 4670k. he didnt buy an aftermarket heatsink and the stock one apparently it didnt switch on when i turned the computer on, i didnt notice as the case was closed and i had bios open when i first started the comp up and it looked fine.

when i rebooted to check something in the bios the cpu temp said 99C.

obviously this isnt good.. and usually a computer shuts itself down at dangerous temps anyways, it didnt do this. is the cpu okay? or should i send it back for a replacement :X

Try it for a few days worth of stress testing and see if it's ok. If there are any quirks, then replace it. Hopefully it's fine and you don't have to go through a return process.

I built a new computer for a buddy, with the new haswell 4670k. he didnt buy an aftermarket heatsink and the stock one apparently it didnt switch on when i turned the computer on, i didnt notice as the case was closed and i had bios open when i first started the comp up and it looked fine.

when i rebooted to check something in the bios the cpu temp said 99C.

obviously this isnt good.. and usually a computer shuts itself down at dangerous temps anyways, it didnt do this. is the cpu okay? or should i send it back for a replacement :X

If it's working it's fine. Sounds like you didn't have it on long enough to reach temps that trigger the CPU's built-in thermal shutdown.

Should be fine, that weird ass TIM Indigo Extreme specifically says you have to heat up your processor to 100c to get it to melt.

No worries OP. A whole bunch of us have hit 95-99C during torture testing with no ill effects.

Processors are designed to throttle if they overheat. You can run an Intel CPU without any heatsink at all without risking damage.

Processors are designed to throttle if they overheat. You can run an Intel CPU without any heatsink at all without risking damage.

I can attest to this, my dad's machine had its heatsink fall off in travel, that E8400 laster for 2 years with no heatsink and nary a shutdown with regular office tasks until I decided to check it while I was visiting. It was sitting at 105*C and 150mhz all the time. Slapped the thing back on and it works like new.

awesome~ ~!!!

thanks so much for the responses and easing my mind <3

happy friday

Back