High Tech Prank of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know this prank couldn't have been pulled here in the states. Imagine how many "emotional distress" lawsuits would have been filed against LG. :D

Prank or staged commercial?

Either way, they should have slowed down the rate at which those panels fell to make it feel more scary.

Prank or staged commercial?

Either way, they should have slowed down the rate at which those panels fell to make it feel more scary.

Yeah, it was great, but would have been better if they had slowed it down, as you said, so there was more time for the people to react before realizing it was faked.

Neat. Those monitors look nice too. Can only imagine if someone crapped the pants because of it.

That is hilarious. And, yes, I doubt that could have been done here in the US. There would have been people crying and screaming bloody murder.

Informative commercial though. Since I haven't been in the market for one, I wasn't even aware of IPS monitors. Unfortunately for LG, I found out IPS monitors are not native to them alone.

Anyone else notice that just about everyone jumped to their death? I don't know if any of them leaped to a white tile...

Too bad it only looks real from the correct angle. Now, if they had put in some image recognition to determine the rider's position and render the tiles from that person's perspective, THAT would have been cool. And more effective.

The possibilities are endless!
I work on a cruise ship, we could have a lot of fun with this!
I'm thinking water with a big white shark jumping up with its mouth open! :D

Or when the elevator stops, lights go to emergency only and the person presses the emergency call button have the elevator take off downward with the panel switching to fast motion downward with water at the bottom of the shaft! :eek:

Perfect for this time of the year!

Totally staged. Actors, or staff from LG.

It would have been much better if the effect had been dramatically slowed down.

At 0:12 all the screens appear to be separate systems (they're booting at different speeds). And they're running Red Hat!

I'm rarely a skeptic, but it looks like they're totally standing on a green screen. Only see very short clips of their feet and & the "screens", their feet have that blurry/crappy chroma-key look around them.

And like someone else said, the perspective only looks right from one angle... so in practice if they even did this, would look ridiculously bad.

At least the viewing angles are good and you can see the terribly wrong perspective from any anywhere!

They should've have two videos, the normal one played and another for the women with skirts where a man was hanging on looking up at their goods. :)

Obviously staged. I just love how the elevator also magically perfectly fit 3x3 monitors. But if you pay attention to the feet, you'll notice the skewed proportions when installed in the elevator versus when they were setting it up. (The monitors noticeably wider in the elevator itself.)

That and chromakey artifacts. You do enough video editing, you learn to spot it.

Too bad it only looks real from the correct angle. Now, if they had put in some image recognition to determine the rider's position and render the tiles from that person's perspective, THAT would have been cool. And more effective.

Yes, the screens are correctly oriented to show the perspective of the camera shooting the commercial not the actual passenger's perspective. It has to be faked for that reason.

The bottom half of the rail in the elevator is green in 1:26. LG could have certainly done that "prank" in the US since it looks fake.

Anyone else notice that just about everyone jumped to their death? I don't know if any of them leaped to a white tile...

I was going to saty something similar - they all stepped into areas where there are no longer tiles - not even to where the supports were located

I think it would be cool if they had a camera under the elevator so you could watch while in the elevator.

I would of expected more screaming. And what about the hipster with the purse.

I wonder if they all took the stairs afterwards?

Since it is staged it isn't really that funny. Would be hilarious if the reactions were authentic :)

The perspectives would be all out of whack depending on the viewing angle.

That is hilarious. And, yes, I doubt that could have been done here in the US. There would have been people crying and screaming bloody murder.

Informative commercial though. Since I haven't been in the market for one, I wasn't even aware of IPS monitors. Unfortunately for LG, I found out IPS monitors are not native to them alone.

The panels themselves however are very likely still from LG. If you are looking at Dells, HP, Apple, and etc. the panels are all from LG.

Yes, the screens are correctly oriented to show the perspective of the camera shooting the commercial not the actual passenger's perspective. It has to be faked for that reason.

Yeah, that and the glimpse of the green panels on the floor near the end. :)

Nate

I think the 13th floor was an indication that this was NOT in the USA. Kinda reminded me of Star Tours at Disneyland ... just a bit.

not to mention, mostly when it seemed falling the people inside actually moved towards the so called falling panel and not towards the handle to grab on it.

I missed the chroma green spill on the rail at 1:26 but the perspective changing for the "hidden cams" was what made me realise it was faked.

No problem with ads that are faked but when the pretence of the setup pushes the viewer into thinking its been created in reality I dont like it

I love it! Slower falling tiles would have been better, given them room to scamper away from the falling floor tiles.

Pretty hilarious, but also fake. The perspective of the elevator shaft in the monitors changes based on the camera's angle, though it should only be showing the angle that the people inside the elevator are seeing. Since, you know, lcd's can't show two entirely different images in full screen at the same time.

Instinct is to leap to the door and/or the wall.

I already think things like this thru, so I would've known to clutch the rail for dear life and prepare for the drop and impact.

Anyone else weird like that? Like I'm always thinking of those things sorta like those Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbooks. :p

I think the 13th floor was an indication that this was NOT in the USA. Kinda reminded me of Star Tours at Disneyland ... just a bit.

That has nothing to do with anything...I work in a building constructed within the last 20 years in NYC and we have a 13th floor.

Back