High Tech $1,300 Wall Clock

HardOCP News

[H] News
This clock is pretty cool. I don't know if it is worth the $1,300 asking price, but still cool. The website for the clock is a bit short on details on how it actually works other than saying it is patent pending technology that uses an elastic membrane to make the shape of the numbers.

That's not a clock, it's a score board. 4 numbers in a row. Fuck me it's not hard.

So if you want to know the time you have to watch for the 20 seconds that it shows the time right after the change. no thanks. Seems like a completely worthless thing to me.

I'd rather have this.

s-l500.jpg

I could manufacture an entire computer + display to do that for half the cost (probably even half of that), geez. Where do people get the idea something like this has any value at all over a stick in the ground that functions as a man-made sundial? :D

The website for the clock is a bit short on details on how it actually works other than saying it is patent pending technology that uses an elastic membrane to make the shape of the numbers.
Some low-noise solenoid valves, a powered pneumatic cylinder, a machined aluminum backplate, and a sheet of rubber glued over the front, all controlled by a sub-$1 PIC microcontoller.

Where's my $1300?

Looks very breakable to me.....I would need something I can whack in the morning....

I'd be worried about how long it will last, that membrane can't flex that many times before it goes limp

Back