High retired cells?

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
So I have some 5 year old Crucial M4 256GB disk that were in a small lightweight SQL server.

I pulled them out and did a smart test on them.

Whilst the life of the drives show around 95% lifespan remaining, they show over 90,000 retired memory blocks. Can't remember the exact wording but you get the point.

Would you guys consider that to be a high retirement count? Do you think the drives would still be good to use in something not critical like a bedroom desktop or something?

They have been running nearly 24/7 for 5 1/2 years in a server with a total reboot count of 41 times.

Last edited:
SQL server.. you had your couple of SSD crucial drives hosting a SQL DB. For 5 and a 1/2 years.

If you want to stress a drive with a ton of small reads and writes you put a DB on it. I'm betting those drives are nearing the world of done. Just my gut feeling no real world to add to that.

Hah that is what I am thinking. Yeah the SQL tore those SSDs up I guess. They were replaced with Kingston DC400 960GB enterprise solid states. This should be a testament to just how damn good Crucial M4s were/are.

Back