high res or high eye candy

strikeout

[H]ard|Gawd
whats better having a monitor at 16x12 high but only having like 2x aa 4x AF or going 12x10 high with 4xAA and 16x AF?

Higher res for me,
first thing that goes for me at high res is the AA if it cant handle it that well - i still like to have the af on as high as possible

put it this way you will get higher image quality running high-res no AA rather than low res + AA, the image is basically sharper and more defined and less AA is required if any.

If all you are loosing is AA and AF then most certaintly the higher res. Now if you are having to go into the game options and turn down the detail levels then I prefer a lower resolution to get detail levels back.

AA is basically a means of simulating a higher resolution than what is actually on screen.

Why simulate a higher resolution when you can have it for real :)

PKFGimpy said:
AA is basically a means of simulating a higher resolution than what is actually on screen.

Why simulate a higher resolution when you can have it for real :)

plus its blurred anyway, try it 1024x768x4AA VS 1280x1024x0AA

How does AF effect frame rate at higher resolutions?

I'm asking because I have AF always cranked at 16X at 1024x768 and the frame rate hit is pretty much non-existent(1-2 FPS at most)... In fact, running a UT2004 benchmark program, I remember getting absolutely no difference in frame rate going from NO AF to 16X AF. Maybe it depends on the game, but I am seeing pretty much no differences. AA on the other hand has much more of an impact on frame rate.

Maybe it's because I'm running at a low resolution though?

Yes... its because at that low resolution you are VERY CPU limited, so your gpu isnt working to its max potential.

I doubt you'll notice much difference between 16x ansio and 8x ansio. Try dropping it down.

I'd got 1600x1200 with 16xAF... Jaggies don't really bother me though - if anything they make the image seem more organic and fluid... know what I mean?

At the end of the day, the first thing I lower is AA. 1600x1200+ looks gorgeous regardless of whether AA is on or not.

peace,
OriginalOCer

Back