High Quality RJ-11 for DSL?

Matrox462

Gawd
I'm getting DSL within a couple days, and I was wondering if I should buy one of those 'high quality' phone cables that's specifically made for using with DSL or any other kind of modem. You know those cables that are shielded, have gold plated connections, braided wires for noise cancellation, ect... At a quite hefty price of $20 for a phone cable, is getting it a waste of money? Are they just a gimmick? The modem is going to be only a couple feet away from the jack, so it wouldn't be for distance reasons. Does anyone else use any of these kind of phone cables? I probably wouldn't worry about getting it if I wasn't getting the fastest package the phone company offers at 3Mbps down. I don't want any unnecessary loss of speed.

The cable from the jack to your modem is only as good as the wiring in your house.

Essentially these are a gimmick and are usually simply either STP CAT3 or UTP/STP Cat5 with two twisted pairs either removed or unused. I wouldn't suggest you use that old phone cable you've got laying around from when grandma went from pulse dial to tone dial, but I wouldn't tell you to spend $20 on a "super ultra cable" because in the end, unless you're willing to run a fresh new line of shielded CAT5 specifically for your DSL line or something similar, it is simply not worth it.

Orinthical said:
The cable from the jack to your modem is only as good as the wiring in your house.

Essentially these are a gimmick and are usually simply either STP CAT3 or UTP/STP Cat5 with two twisted pairs either removed or unused. I wouldn't suggest you use that old phone cable you've got laying around from when grandma went from pulse dial to tone dial, but I wouldn't tell you to spend $20 on a "super ultra cable" because in the end, unless you're willing to run a fresh new line of shielded CAT5 specifically for your DSL line or something similar, it is simply not worth it.

Thanks for the responce. That makes sense about the house wiring. I'll just make sure I use a fresh phone cable and not one that's been lying around, and save my money for something more useful. Thanks again. :p

Yeah, the most important issue is the wiring to your house.... the one line between the wall and modem isn't going to make much of a difference.

Back