high quality open headphones

binkgle

Limp Gawd
'm looking for some nice headphones. They will be used with a diskman, an ipod, and my computer, mainly for music listening (i listen to all genres except metal and techno, mainly classical and classic rock) and some movie watching, occasional gaming (cs:s, jedi academy, wc3).

they must be open air, i need to be able to hear the world outside the phones.

i don't want to spend more than 80 USD.

They must have an 1/8 inch audio jack, not 1/4 inch with 1/8 inch adapter.

I am looking for crisp highs, warms bass, clear middle.

thx,
jzietman

Sennheiser HD497 or HD555 if you can afford it (about 100$ on ebay and 150$ on newegg BUT refurbed for $79 on ecost.com).

SR60 or 80 by Grado.

I recommend the HD555... for 79$ they are a STEAL!! Dont worry about Sennheiser refurbs. I know they change the ear pads and headband... not to mention that you cant tell the diff between new and refurb since they even use the same original retail box.

Oh and these all come with 1/4 -> 1/8 adaptors. You will be HARDPRESSED to find good quality cans that only have the 1/8 plug de facto.

For portability (which is probably why you want something with a default 1/8 plug), you should go for the Sennheiser HD201 for 17$ on buy.com (I think 34.99$ is retail). They are closed, hence, allows for some sound isolation and doesnt bother your neighbors. Also, the 201 have the default 1/8 plug.

You should get the 555 for home and the 201 for portable use.... then you'll be PIMP!

The HD485 is the successor to HD497 I think. It is supposed to be better. I don't know how it compares to HD555 though. Maybe more like the HD515?

i've been reading around on headroom, and think that the sennheiser px100 looks best. $50, great sound, works great with ipod, open-air (an absolute necessity for me, i can't do closed, my family communicates by yelling up and down the stairs cause we're in a pretty big house). i'd love to get those refurb 555s, though. i'll look into it.

I'm thinking about the HD-485's as well and the CNet review says they may very well be the best sounding headphones for under $100. You can find them for $70'ish on shopping.com

i'll probably get the px100s, cause i know they can be easily driven by an ipod. how would the 555s work with an ipod and no amp?

Works fine... the iPod has enough juice to power it to really LOUD levels. You will need an amp to bring out the 555's potential though.

However, even a px100 amp isnt close to a 555 unamped.

I just got myself the Koss KSC-35's for my Ipod. They were only $19. Seriously the most awesome bang for the buck. I got the KSC-35's because they were extremely portable. A less portable solution but also very cost effective would be the Koss Portapros. Don't let the brand name or the looks decieve you. They are breathtaking.

555s it is, then. well, as long as i can convince my dad to let me spend 80 and not 50. i'll manage ;)

i find most koss headphones pretty ugly, so i'm not too interested there

*Clasps fingers together*

Excellent..... another one for Team Sennheiser... mwaahhahhahaha!!

I got 555s a few weeks ago and I am very pleased. The Ipod easily drives these to very very high volume and they sound great. I actually like the audio quality of my ipod better than my audigy 1 now.

I've had the 555s for about 2 months now and they have been very excellent. I just recently (yesterday) upgraded to the 650s and have given my 555s to my brother... for a fee of course ;) .

Back