High quality CD burning/ripping to FLAC software?

criccio

Fully Equipped
What do you guys use to rip CD's to FLAC, and to burn them? I'm trying to gauge what the best/most popular software is. Has to be free.

EAC is the best CD audio ripper there is, period. Easily configured to use the FLAC encoder as well... and free, of course.

As for burning, any burning software will work. ImgBurn is highly recommended, and free as well. You can use Nero or anything you want to be honest as when you're archiving the FLAC files you're burning them as data files and not audio files (like CD audio).

I've got 86 DVDs (single layer) with all my 2200+ CD collection backed up as FLACs. Makes it easy to transcode 'em to other formats as required.

Thanks, just got EAC, seems perfect. Seems this app also lets you burn CD's, but I need a .cue file, which I don't have. I just want to burn some an album in FLAC format. It's just a folder with the FLAC's in it. How would I do that with EAC?

You wouldn't, as I already stated. If your intention is to make backups of your actual audio CDs, EAC isn't going to do that sort of thing for you. EAC can take WAV files and make audio CDs from them, but it's not a full-featured audio burning application so you'll need to rely on something else.

As for the cue sheets, that's up to you and how you wish to handle it. The CDs or DVDs you're about to burn won't be playable in regular CD/DVD players like any old audio CD, so I hope you realize that. :) EAC can take cue files and WAV files and create an audio CD (a real audio CD that works in CD players, etc), but not other files - it's not a full-featured audio conversion tool either.

Burning a folder with FLAC files in it becomes a simple task of data archiving, not audio file burning, so just use ImgBurn as I stated previously for those purposes.

I ended up getting Burrrn, and the FLAC files play perfectly fine in a CD player. Thanks, I DO know the difference between burning an audio cd and data cd... :D

Just curious if I could do it all in one app, but this way is fine, Burrrn is really easy and works fine.

EAC is the best CD audio ripper there is, period. Easily configured to use the FLAC encoder as well... and free, of course.

As for burning, any burning software will work. ImgBurn is highly recommended, and free as well. You can use Nero or anything you want to be honest as when you're archiving the FLAC files you're burning them as data files and not audio files (like CD audio).

I've got 86 DVDs (single layer) with all my 2200+ CD collection backed up as FLACs. Makes it easy to transcode 'em to other formats as required.

This is exactly how I do mine, but I unfortunately need to re-rip to either FLAC or WAV. I had started many years ago using mp3, at differing bitrates and such, and much of my collection's sound quality shows this. My newer stuff (all 256kb or more) sounds decent at home, and indistinguishable in mobile environments.

+1 for EAC for ripping. IIRC The latest version includes the FLAC encoder ready-to-go.

Can't comment on a burner since I never burn back to CD.

Back