high pitched sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

syncopied

Limp Gawd
there is a high pitched sound that has been intermittent and coming from my computer for a while:

39zsg3L.jpg

I am unclear of the source and am trying to troubleshoot and would like some assistance

i know it is coming from the back half of the case which contains:

1) top case fan (above the CPU in the picture)
2) back case fan
3) 2x CPU fans
4) PSU fan (facing inwards)
5) graphics card fan <-- not this because it is not spinning when the sound is there

any help is appreciated, thanks!!

ok after some troubleshooting it seems like its a coil whine :(

i think its from the Seasonic PSU not my GTX960, but how do i confirm?

edit: put a stethoscope to it and its definitely the PSU making the high pitched sound :(

Last edited:
Is it happening constantly, or just during games?

Coil whine can be intensified by high framerates in certain games.

its actually not happening during games, but just randomly when the computer is on. my gtx 960's fans arent even turning right now as I'm just surfing the web, but the whine is there

Does it only happen during video playback? If so you could try disabling GPU hardware acceleration in the browser.

You could also try integrated vice, and see if the problem goes away.

Last edited:
nope its happening right now as I'm typing away at this message without any youtube or other videos open. idk if this helps narrow things down but it also happens on the windows lock screen

You can use a toilet paper tissue tube against your ear to try to narrow down the source.

i did use a stethoscope to narrow it down to the PSU. does that mean i have to RMA as my only way of fixing ?

seasonic rep here helped me out tremendously!! gonna close the case as this is likely going to RMA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back