High ping/dropped packets on Wifi router connection?

scottmso

Limp Gawd
Hey all:

As of recently, I've been having issues with my Linksys WRT54GS router's wireless function. It has worked well for over a year, but I've recently started to have issues.

First, the router will have higher ping and packet loss than what they should be. For instance...ping to the router will be approx 50-100ms on average, ping to a website (say, google.com) will be 150-200ms, and packet loss in either case will be 3-5%. Having run a couple of speed tests, I'm getting 3 Mbps out of what should be a 10 Mbps (downstream) internet connection. While still somewhat usable, these figures are not as good as what they should be.

Initially I noticed periods within which I would have extremely high packet loss (40-50%+), which would make the network practically unusable. I've had this happen for extended periods of time...but as of now it will occasionally happen for 2-3 minutes. It used to happen every few minutes...but now it's happening once or twice an hour.

I plugged my system into the wired router, and it appears to not have the issue with high ping that it does when connected to wifi. (Since the router is in one of my housemates' living space, I have been unable to test it for an extended period of time.) Furthermore, this does not seem to be a signal issue...I have the same problem whether I am sitting right next to the router or am on the opposite side of the house.

What could be the cause of the problem here? I initially figured that it might have been because of my housemate's regular use of Bittorrent...but this issue occurs even after I have temporarily blocked his system from the network (and not to mention the lack of issues when connected via ethernet). I've also played around with the channel on which the Wifi signal is transmitted...but there seems to be no change. (I'm in a fairly low-density suburban area, and having run a wifi scanner app there appears to be no more than 2 routers broadcasting on any given channel.) Could it just be a flaky router?

Any advice appreciated...thanks :)

Could be the router. But have you tested the WiFi on your PC with any other wireless connections?

my guess would be wireless interference.
any bluetooth devices?
2.4Ghz cordless phones?

probably other wireless devices that use the same frequency range...

Upon further testing, it looks like this issue is mostly only present on my system (Macbook with Broadcom wireless card). I tried a couple of other machines (Thinkpad with Intel wireless, older iMac G4) and they do not seem to exhibit the issue of dropped packets when I'm experiencing it on my system.

However, I've since used other access points with no issues...so I don't know what's up with my system. I do experience the same issue (on the AP I'm having issues with) when I boot up in Windows instead of OS X, so it's most likely not a software issue. Any ideas?

Reset the P-Ram. hold down Apple-Option-P-R right at the startup chime and let it reboot a few times. sometimes that fixes weird unexplainable issues with Macs.

Back